carrick58

Non War Bi Planes

Strangely enough...Mine is a Large Civvie.

British Civil Aviation, of the 'Empire' Era

post-22245-0-94142000-1327078197.jpg

Edited by UK_Widowmaker

Does that airplane have a banana in its pocket, or is it just happy to see me? :lol:

That is one erect aircraft!

Well, Boeing Stearman would have been one of my choices too.

Here is a lesser known German biplane - the Focke Wulf "Stieglitz".

Not sure, how "civilian" it was though.

Edited by Olham

My initial thought was the P6E but then I remembered the Staggerwing, which would get my vote.

Beard

Strangely enough...Mine is a Large Civvie.

British Civil Aviation, of the 'Empire' Era

post-22245-0-94142000-1327078197.jpg

Wow how did that Fly and How many gallons to the air mile ?

Just checked the STAMPE, norman - beautiful little cutie!

And a plane you own is anyway a hundred times better than one you only dream of. :grin:

Mine would go to a flying boat as there is a certain elegance to them most likely the Short Singapore not too pretty but tough enough to get the job done... :drinks:

Pic of my stampe. A joy to fly. Sorry I don't know how to resize the image:)

post-19278-0-55229100-1327101190.jpg

I bet the lady will always carry you safely!

norman, are you an OFF pilot? And if so: did I put you on the "OFF Forum Pilots Maps" yet?

I have a killer install of ROF, but have only flown a few missions. I would love to try OFF. How does it compare to ROF, which I think is pretty good? For me it's a matter of time. I was once super into flight sims of all sorts but then had three kids. I have less computer time and seem to spend more of my computer time tweaking, modding, updating, and rebuilding than actually flying I'm afraid.

Yeah, I know what you mean.

Well, the two sims are quite different in many aspects. RoF has more modern visual effects, which make the aircraft

and the water look brilliant. Their FM and DM are also pretty good.

On the other hand, RoF campaign flying is pretty empty. There are not many squadrons, and the aircraft get spawned

where they were meant to appear. The front is not reaching up to the North Sea, nor down to Alsace - it is limited.

After a while, I found the campaign pretty boring. But quick mission flying is quite nice.

OFF P4 is not out yet, which we should compare to RoF. But OFF P3 offers you the whole Western Front theater,

a much more immersive campaign, many more squadrons; and the skins for all these squads PLUS the individual

skins of most aces - over 2.700 skins altogether.

When you leave your course in OFF, you will find other aircraft flying their missions. Everywhere, the squadrons fly their

missions according to historical events - not just spawned craft for only just your set mission course.

What you like in the end, is your choice. For me, who always dreamed to have good WW1 sims, I have got both, and

I enjoy each of them for what they give me. I can hardly wait for P4 any longer - but I guess I must be patient.

Edited by Olham

Look at those FOUR ailerons--- What is the roll rate?

Looks like a fun plane to fly. Did not see any trimtabs-- does it have tabs?

Is the a lycoming 4 banger up front?

In my youth I had some time in a PT-19 ( only one wing ) but looked sorta like that.

norman, have a look here to see what the work in progress OFF P4 will be like:

http://www.overfland....com/Movies.htm

You can also see the movies for P3 here, to get an impression.

Edited by Olham

My favorite, which I still frequently see employed around my part of the world, is the Grumman Ag-Cat cropduster. A rather rugged, pugnacious-looking beast designed for hard work. I prefer the looks and sound of the original radial-engined versions, but the re-engined turboprops are pretty cool, too.

One of the benefits of living in a rural area is that you get free airshows all the time from the cropdusters. They do some truly amazing flying. I'm not just talking about wheels-in-the-weeds passes between trees and under powerlines, but also just their takeoffs and landings. Often, they fly off of dirt tracks beside roads with powerlines down one side and barns on the other.

Here are some very good vids vids of Ag-Cats in action:

Edited by Bullethead

Ah, I've seen these planes over cropp fields in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern. They sprayed something.

Ah, I've seen these planes over cropp fields in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern. They sprayed something.

Next time you see cropdusters working, stop and watch the show. Those pilots are INSANE! And their planes are quite impressive when you think about it. Being able heave a heavy load up vertically over a treeline, with all the Gs that entails, over and over all day long. So there are still true barnstormers today, but they're too busy doing actual work to put on shows :).

Yes, you're right - one never thinks of those fellers. Here is a good vid from New Zealand:

Not my favourite aircraft but one of the most important, somebody should at least mention the Wright Brothers Flyer.