von Baur

OT-private rant

Recently there was a topic posted that featured an old cigarette ad. As that thread doesn't condone smoking I didn't want to harm it or detract from the innocence of its intent by imposing what follows on it. If the moderator(s) would like to lock this immediately I have no trouble with that. But I hope it's allowed to stand.

My father died 21years ago, at 67. He smoked as long as I knew him (probably started during WWII) until September of 1975, when lack of oxygen due to emphesyma (sp?) had him unconscious for three days. Unfortunately, the damage was already done and he spent his last couple of years on an oxygen bottle. The undertaker wasn't able to remove the indentation in his upper lip from the tube, and it looked like he was grinning at us from the casket. I was not amused.

My late wife started the filthy habit in her teens...probably to look "cool" and be "part of the group". She quit at least four or five times that I can remember in the 21 years we spent together (her first and only airplane ride was to fly home with me for my father's funeral, btw). She was able to give it up for good only when she had the stroke that ended her life less than 100 hours later. And I'm sure that if she could have had a cigarette as she lay dieing, she would have. She was 50.

My only disappointment with my son is that he smokes. I've told him so, but he seems unable to shake its grip even though it's cost him his mother. I sincerely hope that I die before I lose another loved one to that awful substance.

Gentlemen, I don't get on this soapbox often, though my passion in this is clear and clearly justified. Mostly it's because I've seen as close to first-hand as possible without actually being the person trying to quit, just how difficult that is. But if you smoke, stop. If not for yourselves, then for those who love you and will miss you when (when, not if) it ends your life prematurely. Don't fall into the trap of "I'll quit when my health starts to suffer"...it already is, you just don't realize it yet. Like rabies, when you see the symptoms it's already too late. And don't say, "Well, if it's too late why should I stop?" The reason is obvious. If you stop, the progression of the damage will, at the very least, slow down. Case in point: my father's docotor told him when he came to that if he continued to smoke he'd likely be dead by that Christmas. He stopped then and there and lived almost another 15 years. If you stop early enough, your body may even be able to reverse the ill effects. It's an amazing machine, if given the chance to operate unencumbered.

BTW, I smoked when I was a teenager, but gave it up after only a few months.

Can't really disagree with anything above. I'm not happy that I started, gave up and then - stupidly - started again. But, I gave up on Xmas Eve last year, by the simple expedient of telling myself that I'd be an utter prick if I vever smoked again. It's working.

VB's right. If you smoke, give up; if you don't, never consider starting. It's, literally, poison.

Recently there was a topic posted that featured an old cigarette ad. As that thread doesn't condone smoking I didn't want to harm it or detract from the innocence of its intent by imposing what follows on it. If the moderator(s) would like to lock this immediately I have no trouble with that. But I hope it's allowed to stand.

My father died 21years ago, at 67. He smoked as long as I knew him (probably started during WWII) until September of 1975, when lack of oxygen due to emphesyma (sp?) had him unconscious for three days. Unfortunately, the damage was already done and he spent his last couple of years on an oxygen bottle. The undertaker wasn't able to remove the indentation in his upper lip from the tube, and it looked like he was grinning at us from the casket. I was not amused.

My late wife started the filthy habit in her teens...probably to look "cool" and be "part of the group". She quit at least four or five times that I can remember in the 21 years we spent together (her first and only airplane ride was to fly home with me for my father's funeral, btw). She was able to give it up for good only when she had the stroke that ended her life less than 100 hours later. And I'm sure that if she could have had a cigarette as she lay dieing, she would have. She was 50.

My only disappointment with my son is that he smokes. I've told him so, but he seems unable to shake its grip even though it's cost him his mother. I sincerely hope that I die before I lose another loved one to that awful substance.

Gentlemen, I don't get on this soapbox often, though my passion in this is clear and clearly justified. Mostly it's because I've seen as close to first-hand as possible without actually being the person trying to quit, just how difficult that is. But if you smoke, stop. If not for yourselves, then for those who love you and will miss you when (when, not if) it ends your life prematurely. Don't fall into the trap of "I'll quit when my health starts to suffer"...it already is, you just don't realize it yet. Like rabies, when you see the symptoms it's already too late. And don't say, "Well, if it's too late why should I stop?" The reason is obvious. If you stop, the progression of the damage will, at the very least, slow down. Case in point: my father's docotor told him when he came to that if he continued to smoke he'd likely be dead by that Christmas. He stopped then and there and lived almost another 15 years. If you stop early enough, your body may even be able to reverse the ill effects. It's an amazing machine, if given the chance to operate unencumbered.

BTW, I smoked when I was a teenager, but gave it up after only a few months.

Von Baur,

I also saw that thread but saw it as Hauksbee just showing how attitudes have changed over the years with regards to smoking.

I have never smoked, and resisted peer pressure at school to "try one", as it has never appealed to me, but my parents smoked, my dad gave up on the 6th January 1986 aged 42 after having a health scare the previous summer that turned out to be unrelated to his smoking, my mum gave up on the advice of the doctor when she was expecting me, but in times of extreme stress or shock she will smoke for a couple of weeks and then not smoke again until the next period of stress/shock hits - the last time she smoked was august 1992 when a family friend died unexpectedly of a massive heart attack when he was aged 48. Both my grand parents and all my aunts on my dads side smoked and all advised me not to start, which has probably helped me to resist any temptation.

von Baur, I'm with you 100%. When I went to college, I puffed a pipe (it was sort of a 'rite of passage') until a girlfriend discovered that I didn't inhale. She took it upon herself to correct that. I went from zero to a pack a day within a week. Nicotine was definitely my drug. I spent 30 years smoking two packs a day and quit hundreds of times, until, for some reason, it worked in 1989. Haven't smoked since. I figured I'd dodged the bullet on lung cancer, but lately I found out that my shortness of breath is not just a matter of being out of shape. I've been diagnosed with 'borderline' C.O.P.D. (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disorder). The operative word there being 'borderline', but it was a cold water wake-up call. So...I'll back your rant any day.

Edited by Hauksbee

It's my last achilles heel. Gave up alchohol the day my daughter was born 20 years ago, and have quit the darn smokes umpteen number of times, but it is tougher than the liquid cuorage to toss.

What I did find helpful, was smoking a brand from NM, that is all natural, no chemicals added, and it is true, that the nasty chems in them are what keep you hooked. The all natural ones was interesting, because for the first 2 to 3 days, even after having one, it fealt like I hadn't even smoked. But i was able in a couple weeks to drop to smoking a pack every 5 to 6 days.

What has made it tough, is the continual upheaval of the economy, and work being only temporary on a regular basis, and moving often to find cheaper lodgings.

I know if things would just settle down, I could go back, and do it again, and for good. I know, my kids have bugged me for the last 10 years to stop permanently, but it is very difficult to say the least. I wish I could just stop like I did with booze.

von Baur, keep up the stature you have on this bad habit. I tell kids, if you haven't started, don't, and if you have, for God's sake stop! I wish I had never started. And if I could just stop, I would.

My best friend's dad died from emphysema, and he when he was on oxygen, he would come out to the garage where we would be building model airplanes, and smoke all our cigarettes up. That's just how hooked he was on them. So for different people, there's different levels of how it keeps them hooked. Some can drop it no problem, others struggle, sometimes for years to stop.

Edited by ConradB

I remember the captive misery of long plane flights and the awful moment the "smoking section" started up. Glad that's over..........now...if only my liver lasts the distance....hate to have to give up the evening cocktail but there it is...good luck to us all

That hypnotist I mentioned?

First thing he did with all 6 of us was sit us all down and look at us going yup, yup, yup, yup, yup, yup. He reckoned we were all ok.

All too often, people were referred to him by hospitals as a last chance option to get them to stop smoking, but he could tell when it was already too late for them.

My rant is that the government allowed itself to be lobbied by the Nicotine companies with these daft nicotine patches being available on the NHS, when the Allen Carr method delivered an instant and lasting 96% success rate for getting people to stop.

I've not smoked for 15+ years now. Not withstanding the health benefits, I reckon that's about £30,000 I've saved, based on 1990 prices.

Working in a medical profession, I can only support your rant. The overwhelming majority of emphysema cases are caused by smoking. It's not pretty, and it's not a pleasant way to go. Our lungs get more than enough pollution just by breathing in the city air, there's no need to make it even worse by voluntarily poisoning yourself.

And not only the health concerns, I can't believe the cost per pack these days. I quit in '89, and, as I recall, cigarettes were somewhere around $1.50 an pack. I remember how we wailed when they crossed the $1.00 mark. But now? $6-7-8+ a pack. Who can afford them? Maybe the current recession wouldn't be so painful if smokers bought food instead.

von Bauer,

I can understand the pain of losing your father from COPD...I've been a registered respiratory therapist since the mid 70's and deal with families' pain every day. I'm sorry for your loss.

Aside from trashing your lungs, cigarettes cause severe damage to major blood vessels throughout your body. I currently work in a heart hospital, and virtually all of my patients are there because of poor choices. Sad to say, many see themselves as victims and blame everyone but themselves for the shape they are in. Even when their life is on the line, they refuse to quit smoking.

Quitting is extremely difficult...nicotine is much more addictive than heroin, meth, or oxycodone. Few quit successfully without structured group or family support.

I've never smoked but since the last years, and only one or two flavoured nargileh a month. Certainly not to pose as the manly kind like the young pimple-faced trendies in front of the schools; on the contrary, it emphasizes my sybaritic nature. No addiction, I could stop at will, anytime (I'd like to say the same about my addiction to Italian cheeses, but that's another story...). There are very few things that can make me sick of a girl without appeal; but besides racist conversation, compulsive smoking is on top of my black list. Smoking is as expensive, disgraceful, pathetic and stupid as alcohol as a way to commit suicide on the long term; but besides, it's a stinky way.

... but besides, it's a stinky way.

Hence the maxim: "Kissing a smoker is like licking out an ashtray".

I gave up about four years ago.... and then, about two years ago, I foolishly started again (long story, involving Guns, a Shooting..and s**tting myself)....so, I have stopped again now...for good this time!

After more than 30 years I gave up smoking (pipe, cigars after that) some 10 years ago at a random day without problems except for gaining weight ..:dntknw::grin:

Never inhaled anything directly,( not done with pipe and cigars), was always involved in a lot of sport (field hockey) and at tests and x-rays lungs were clean. I grew up in a time when smoking was very common. The Queen smoked, the Prime Minister smoked, my parents smoked, teachers smoked in the classroom, there were smoking compartments in the trains and trams complete with ashtrays etc. etc. My father and mother did not die because of smoking, but I knew people who did.

So far so good, gave it up anyway,no trouble at all and not because someone told me so or forced me and I never had the urge to start smoking again

And as for you von Baur, I'm with you, your examples are good, your style is honest, as are the comments in this thread. And I also discourage my kids and others. My wife quit smoking some 20 years ago when she was pregnant of our eldest daughter.

But what I thouroughly dislike -if not positively hate- however, is the fundamentalistic way the (what I call) Anti Smoking Lobby is agressively forcing one measure after another down everyone's throat to ban smoking, sometimes by sneaky lawmaking, also at private societies and clubs and places where nobody is bothered.. As far as I'm concerned I shall allow people to have a smoke - also for instance in my own office-, especially if they politely ask permission (which is more or less the habit nowadays) unless they positively trouble other people or if someone asks them to stop it because of illness or discomfort. That's it, everyone should make the decision for himself, but should reasonably RESPECT other people (but that goes for the anti smokers too)...............

And to tell the thruth, I positively LIKE it if someone lights a real good cigar after a good dinner..........:grin:

Edited by Derk

I have to agree with Derk...I have a problem with the 'Anti's'...there are way to many these days!...whatever happened to live and let live?...yes, a Non Smoker should not have to put up with it in a public place, but now they're trying to ban it in your own car!...next it will be your House...and then, it will be made Illegal full stop.

(well, at least it would, if the Government didn't make so much money from Ciggies in Tax) :good:

I think it's because they finally realize the money they make on the taxes is far outstripped by the healthcare costs they pay incurred by those individuals. Whether they're in the military, gov't service, or some other public-funded healthcare, taxpayers foot the bill for other people's vices.

Now if there was some clause that said "smoking related illnesses will not be covered or treated for those whose healthcare is paid by public monies", I think you'd see a lot less gov't movement in that area.