Hauksbee

Run Time Error '480'...

Today, all my Quick Combat flights went well, but when I closed out and returned to the Quick Combat page, instead of allowing me to modify anything and/or return for another go, I got the following message: "Run Time Error '480'. Can't Create Auto Redraw Image". I click OK and OFF shuts down. I've never seen this message before. What's it mean? What should I do?

No idea, what changed Hauksbee ?

Sounds like a permissions issue (win7?)

There are a zillion google hits for that VB error. Do you have an edited pilot, is the log huge or something?

Much more details needed really -what where why when.

Hauksbee, whatever it may be: try the options "Reset OFF Manager", and if that doesn't help,

try "Reset CFS3" - before you consider a deinstallation. Often worked for me.

But you would loose your campaign pilots, when you do this.

System restore...I know people bitch about it..but it so often sorts niggly little things

No idea, what changed Hauksbee ?

Sounds like a permissions issue (win7?)

There are a zillion google hits for that VB error. Do you have an edited pilot, is the log huge or something?

Much more details needed really -what where why when.

I can't see that anything has changed. I only fly Quick Combat. Have done so since I bought P3 and installed it on this machine, which runs Vista Pro 32 bit. It never happened before yesterday.

Just ran another test flight. Same thing happens.

Olham: Where do I find the 'Reset' buttons?

Edited by Hauksbee

It just got worse. Figuring that the 'Reset' buttons would be in Workshop, I found them, and did a Reset for OFF. It seemed to include CFS3 also. I backed out of there, went to Main Menu and selected Quick Combat. OFF objected that there were no pilots. I went to Pilot Dossiers and tried to enlist a British pilot. When it prompted me to select a squadron, I clicked and immediately got my old nemesis, "Run Time Error 408", etc. I tried this three times. Now, I can't get in to OFF at all. Is this re-install time?

It just got worse. Figuring that the 'Reset' buttons would be in Workshop, I found them, and did a Reset for OFF. It seemed to include CFS3 also. I backed out of there, went to Main Menu and selected Quick Combat. OFF objected that there were no pilots. I went to Pilot Dossiers and tried to enlist a British pilot. When it prompted me to select a squadron, I clicked and immediately got my old nemesis, "Run Time Error 408", etc. I tried this three times. Now, I can't get in to OFF at all. Is this re-install time?

The error is typically caused by:

Error is typically caused by a lack of resources (video memory, system memory, virtual memory, etc).

(Courtesy of MS)

Check your Virtual memory allocation - is your HD full?

HTH

WM

Ignore me if you like...but a System Restore to a couple of days ago, will probably solve this...instead of mucking about trying to fix it

Error is typically caused by a lack of resources (video memory, system memory, virtual memory, etc).

Check your Virtual memory allocation - is your HD full?

As it turns out, the C: drive is nearly full (3.47 Gb remaining out of 139 Gb) but I have two other 500 Gb drives that are virtually empty. (This machine was built by my computer-tech guy when I was doing a lot of 3D modeling/animation which created big files. I'm running 8 Gb of RAM. I'll talk to the computer-tech guy about moving a sizable amount of stuff to the other two drives.

Widowmaker: I'll keep the System Restore as a back-up plan.

As it turns out, the C: drive is nearly full (3.47 Gb remaining out of 139 Gb) but I have two other 500 Gb drives that are virtually empty. (This machine was built by my computer-tech guy when I was doing a lot of 3D modeling/animation which created big files. I'm running 8 Gb of RAM. I'll talk to the computer-tech guy about moving a sizable amount of stuff to the other two drives.

Widowmaker: I'll keep the System Restore as a back-up plan.

I suspect then that therein lies your problem....

WM

Well, clearing the hard drive didn't do the trick. My computer-tech guy suggested that I move about 10Gb of data, not applications, because that would require uninstalling & re-installing. I moved the whole of "My Documents", a total of 23.7Gb. I tried OFF, but when I tried to enlist a pilot, I got "Run Time Error '480'. Can't Create Auto Redraw Image" again. This time, when OFF crashed it took my desktop wallpaper with it.

Time to try the "Widowmaker Cure". Stay tuned.

Check out the administrator tools, event viewer more there may be clues there? See what other issues show?

Did you check it is still setup to run in Admin mode etc as per Win7 tips in FAQ?

Check out the administrator tools, event viewer more there may be clues there? See what other issues show?

Did you check it is still setup to run in Admin mode etc as per Win7 tips in FAQ?

Thanks for the additional tips, Pol, but I did a System Restore (dated back one week) and it seems to be working OK. I now have two new pilots. (...and you think I was ignoring you, Widowmaker...LOL!)

OK great probably lost some important system files or something. Best check the drives for any errors.

OK great probably lost some important system files or something. Best check the drives for any errors.

OK. Could you point me in the right direction...where to look and what exactly am I looking for. (I'm not too good at poking around the box.)

Just to clarify here - VB Error 480 is an indication of insufficient memory - GPU, CPU or virtual.

In your case I would assume you have virtual memory on 'windows management' in which case it was probably scaled back as your HD became full...

Creating space on the HD helped - and restoring windows probably reset the virtual mem to what it was before.

In any event if this occurs again you can set VM to a fixed allocation...always better....say double your Ram capacity..... as a guidleline

WM

Just to clarify here - VB Error 480 is an indication of insufficient memory - GPU, CPU or virtual.

In your case I would assume you have virtual memory on 'windows management' in which case it was probably scaled back as your HD became full...

Creating space on the HD helped - and restoring windows probably reset the virtual mem to what it was before.

In any event if this occurs again you can set VM to a fixed allocation...always better....say double your Ram capacity..... as a guidleline

WM

Thanks Winder. I'll copy this advice to a Word file and keep it my desktop WWI Flying folder so I can remember it when I need it.

Well that's why I said check the event viewer error messages, but probably too late now. Other than what has been said, hard to say what files or issues could have been

wrong.

Restoring to a previous state also as WM says removed the swap file or other possible problem files, hard to say now, but a drive getting full isn't good and it's possible you STILL have drive issues so do a check disk from the Tools option (right click on the drive in My Computer, Properties, Tools, Check now).