UK_Widowmaker

Geordie Builders

Geordie Builders...gotta luv 'em...this morning's conversation overheard...

"Hey up Phil, what's the fooking crack with that Sandra Lass like?"

"Wah..She's wantin' me to buy a fookin' Hoos...I said, yae can forget that ya stupid fooking Coo"

"Wor man Phil..these fookin' lasses are aaall the same mon..tell her to go buy her own fookin' Hoos if she wants wan leek"

"I'd rather stay in ma flat an' shag her sister!"

:rofl:

After 17 years of Living in the North East...Geordies still fascinate me!... I love the accent..the People and their quirks!

Edited by UK_Widowmaker
  • Like 1
  • Dislike 1

Guess you had to hold a hand at your mouth to prevent you from laughing out loud?

It always fascinates me, how different language can be within the same country, in different areas.

I could only just understand this, cause you wrote it. Heard, I might not have caught the meaning.

My native Ostfriesland is perhaps the size of London. We speak "East-Frisian" there, which is an

own language within Germany, and related to Dutch a bit; but also to old Anglish.

Along the Krummhörn, which is an area of only ca. 35 x 10 kilometer, each village has a different

East-Frisian! You can really hear, from which town someone comes.

Edited by Olham

Absolutely agree Olham..The regional language differences are fascinating!...how can people on one side of a River, speak differently, from those on the other side?

It's a fascinating subject

Think it shows, how natural barriers - like rivers, moors, mountains or gorges - divided people.

The ways of traffic we have today are still very young.

Even in my childhood days in the 50s, many a road in Ostfriesland was only a clay way.

And people had to work all day into the evening, and didn't visit other villages, if not for a

very good and rather rare reason.

I wonder, if one might perhaps find remains of the Roman's vanished Latin in some very

remote mountain villages in Italy?

I used to work with one, always awesome when her kids would come to meet her. Could never understand what they were saying! :smile: I asked her about this one time. She wasn't impressed. :biggrin:

** Warning, some unsavoury language in this **

Al Murray - Geordie Whale Song.

Edited by ZmelliFahrdz

Regional quirks, huh? In France, we wouldn't have this problem with Corsican builders. They don't talk at work. And anytime. Er, and don't work either, actually... :grin:

(Just joking, please don't blow up my family!)

@olham

is it plattdeutsch what you mean?

i don't know how far it goes in other countries, but in germany you often have people talking some dialects on tv or news etc. which has to be undertitled because the rest of germany wouldn't understand them. there are dialects which are rather popular, like bavarian, frankonian or schwäbisch, and there are some dialects which are always laughed at, which sound terrible to the ear, totally unsexy, and always target of jokes, like saxonian dialect and thüringen dialect. i don't know how it is in other countries, but i'm amazed how often there are undertitles when somebody is talking german.

Regional quirks, huh? In France, we wouldn't have this problem with Corsican builders. They don't talk at work. And anytime. Er, and don't work either, actually... :grin:

(Just joking, please don't blow up my family!)

i read some time ago about corsicans getting shot in ww1 because of disobeying direct orders. they couln't obey because they simply didn't understand the orders.

i read some time ago about corsicans getting shot in ww1 because of disobeying direct orders. they couln't obey because they simply didn't understand the orders.

Confirmed for some Corsicans, it happened in moments when examples had to be made. The Republican school could have made unsufficient work in the scattered hamlets of mountainous center island. The same may have happened to Breton soldiers or African indigènes, also both known to speak few and not display own feelings, and for whom lack of understanding or obedience could not appear that clearly. But I have no confirmation of death sentences. I've read such a dramatic story in WW2, from an Ukrainian Jew, former medic in the Red Army, who decided to desert to West at the end of the War by making himself out to be one of the many French POWs liberated by the Soviets and to be repatriated. The committee evaluating his level in French was merciless, but he prevailed. But the man behind him, that he identified as a Breton for whom French was clearly not his native language, was rejected, arrested as a potential Soviet aspiring defector, and probably met his end in Siberia.

@olham

is it plattdeutsch what you mean?

Well, most "Ostfriesisch Platt" is a regional Plattdeutsch. But the original "Ost-Friesisch" is a real own language.

It is now only left "alive" in Saterland near Oldenburg. Saterfriesisch is even under EU protection for regional-

and minority languages.

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ostfriesische_Sprache

The rest is already a melange of Dutch, Friesisch and German.

Divvent drop yer dottle on the proggy mat, pet

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Larn-Yersel-Geordie-Scott-Dobson/dp/0946928010

:rofl:

Well, the Builders have finished for the day... The work they've done is amazing...I have the utmost respect for professional Tradesman...they're the backbone of Britain! (I think a couple of cases of Beer for them, is in order!) :drinks:

Always keep the Workers on-side I say!!

Am I right in recalling that the "Geordie" dialect is peculiar to the Newcastle-on-Tyne area? I mean, you're right smack up against Scotland there.

Am I right in recalling that the "Geordie" dialect is peculiar to the Newcastle-on-Tyne area? I mean, you're right smack up against Scotland there.

It is indeed m8 :good: