Now that I am hooked on Strike Fighters, I have discovered the thrill of bombing. However it takes some skill toward it. I would like to open this chat up, saying that I am using the F-4. What's enjoyable about the F-4 is you can load he up to the teeth.

What is the best way to bomb at low level and high level altitudes?

What are my steps for Radar Configuration and Settings, and are there different bombs for different role missions?

The bombing options for F-4s aren't much different from WW2 fighters (at least in this game engine). The best thing to do is to practice a fixed routine and figure out when to release when following that routine. Mine is pretty simple: come in at 8-10,000 feet and nose over at the range that will result in a steep dive on the target. Chew up some altitude while lining up. Release at the lowest feasible altitude to maximize accuracy. Avoid hitting the ground. Climb out and evade air defenses. Target destroyed? No: repeat entire cycle. Yes: Identify next target, repeat entire cycle.

The steep dive angle + low altitude release allows me to accurately aim with my pipper. If I fly a lot of strike missions, my accuracy gets insanely good. When I am rusty, I pull my pipper through the target. I release one bomb a bit before the pipper is on it, one while the pipper is on it, and one a bit after the pipper passes by the target. When I miss, it is usually because I forced the attack and came in at too shallow of an angle. I also tend to stay in the dive too long if I am having trouble lining up on the target after entering the dive. This can result in a ground strike or even getting caught in the blast of my own bombs.

There are different bombs for different purposes. Learn to use retarded bombs to come in at low level without popping up for a dive bombing run. Level bombing from altitude is possible, but you need to practice at a fixed altitude and speed to find the right distance from the target to release the bombs, or use a mod to create a special view simulating a level bombing sight.

But I am almost exclusively a dive bomber from 10k. If I have to come in low, I pop up steeply to 8k, roll over on my back, pull down into my usual steep dive, roll back to level, line up, and follow my usual procedure. If I can get lined up quick enough after rolling to level, I don't lose much if any accuracy doing this. When I fly a lot of strike missions, I get very good at this.

SimHQ has a nice tutorial written a long time ago for the original SFP1 here: http://www.simhq.com/_air/air_055a.html

Another area to work on besides bombing is unguided air-to-ground rocket pods. Unlike reality, the game allows you to aim them very accurately if you practice a bit. I have been on SEAD missions in F-4s carrying AIM-4D Falcon IRMs and used the Falcons as supplemental air-to-ground unguided rockets. It is not entirely unrealistic to use them this way. There are references which claim AIM-4s could and did acquire and hit trucks at night in Vietnam.

Thanks, I appreciate the advice. I noticed in the 4rth generation aircraft in SF2 Europe\Israel: F-15, F-16. Harrier... and A-10. They have some type of Target-Bomb Rectile, are those used for Dive bombing or

Strafe Bombing at 10,000 feet?

Also for conversation puposes, do Modern 4rth Gen Aircraft have a bombing system(s), Where they do not have to dive bomb? They use a a Bomb System, kind of like "DIANE" for the A-6 Intruder.

Another area to work on besides bombing is unguided air-to-ground rocket pods. Unlike reality, the game allows you to aim them very accurately if you practice a bit. I have been on SEAD missions in F-4s carrying AIM-4D Falcon IRMs and used the Falcons as supplemental air-to-ground unguided rockets. It is not entirely unrealistic to use them this way. There are references which claim AIM-4s could and did acquire and hit trucks at night in Vietnam.

The late 70's a/c in SF2 use CCIP so where ever your pipper is thats where the bombs will hit although in real life the attacks will have to be either dive bombing or very low level for the target to be seen in the HUD. The "Level bombing" version is CCRP where you select the target and fly over it at any height and the computer releases the bombs at the right time (like DIANE) to hit the target.

Just Curious. Are there any Flight Sims that simulate CCRP?

The late 70's a/c in SF2 use CCIP so where ever your pipper is thats where the bombs will hit although in real life the attacks will have to be either dive bombing or very low level for the target to be seen in the HUD. The "Level bombing" version is CCRP where you select the target and fly over it at any height and the computer releases the bombs at the right time (like DIANE) to hit the target.

Falcon 4 was one but I don't know about any others. In Falcon 4 you selected your target, held down the pickle button whilst flying towards your target and the computer released your bombs when it calculated your bombs would hit. It also worked for loft bombing to!

Edited by ianh755

Just Curious. Are there any Flight Sims that simulate CCRP?

Jane's.. DCSWH.. Falcon..

basically anything heavier than Lomac i suppose

Digital Integration F-16 (1996) had it too IIRC

don't forget "The Range" terrains ... a great place to practice. which is why they were built....

And no, CCRP is not implemented in SF2 (a bit advanced for it), it's all CCIP or Kentucky Bombage.

For level bombing, there is a mod using CCIP for the Intruder to represent DIANE. While you don´t need it too much with the A-6 and snakeyes, i used this system instead on level bombers, like B-52s and Vulcans, in lieu of a level bombing system.

...and man, a BUFF campaign over Europe or Vietnam is a rush!

Edited by macelena

I love the A-6F, for guided ordinance the plane's perfect at 10,000 feet, speed 350 knots, release at 1.3 to 1.0 miles from target. Currently I'm working the range to graph an iron bomb ODC (Ordiance Delivery Chart) for level and dive bombing.

• Like 1

Correction to previous post on A-6F deliverable GB ordinance....2.5 to 3 miles out at 10,000 to 10,300 feet at 350 to 400 knots

a-6F dive bombing....40 degrees negative down angle, starting at 15,000 feet, speed 400 to 425 Knots, drop your engine to zero thrust, start dive at 2 miles out of target, release at 4,300 to 4,000 feet

Ahh the joy of the A-6A Intruder...no guess work---software onboard...fly a camp with this ship and it will all be ingraved in your minds eye...

if you want a little more realism with your CCIP I believe theres a mod somewhere that limits the CCIP to only being displayed on the HUD of the aircraft instead of down by the pilots knees haha 

if you want a little more realism with your CCIP I believe theres a mod somewhere that limits the CCIP to only being displayed on the HUD of the aircraft instead of down by the pilots knees haha 

I never found this mod  :blink:

Didn't know it existed... the pipper on the panel/canopy has driven me nuts since day one.

Craig

Ok, I tested it and it works very well, not perfect but a big imporvement.

I am playing with "effect" = "High", so I do not have to modify tectures.

A nice addon, thank you everybody