The forum seems a bit quiet as we anxiously await more news about OFF2, so I thought I might bore you with details of a few things I am currently working on FM-wise (when I have the time, that is)! Mostly I am just working on minor updates, fixes and changes to my previously released FM's as well as a few fixes to the .cfg file (the main FM file) for the stock OFF FM.

Updates to my FM

Pfalz DIIIa--substantially changed the FM to substantially eliminate the annoying "flip-stall" and lessen the tendency to sideslip so much. Improved roll a bit and adjusted speeds at various altitudes to better reflect historical performance. Pfalz is now much more pleasant to fly, but still a challenge.

Re8 "Harry Tate"--main change was to increase empty weight to make it closer to historical record. As a result, it flies a little slower, and climbs and turns a little worse. You may not want to use this FM in an Re8 career, but it makes it a little easier to hunt and shoot down if you like to play the Hun.

Updates to OFF FM:

Albatros DII and DV--increased crash speeds for wingtips in .cfg file to make them roughly the same as other planes in the series.

Fokker EIII--Several minor adjustments to FM that result in a somewhat slower plane at low altitudes--closer to historical record. Working on slighty increasing the roll rate. Corrected error in .cfg file in order to eliminate a second wing on the EIII, slighty below and to the rear of the main wing. This "phantom" wing did not appear to effect the FM, except to possibly create another "contact point" that may have resulted in a higher likilihood of crashed and destroyed aircraft. I am also working on a revision of the DM for the EIII to make it less invulnerable to bullet fire than it appears to be right now.

Roland--Revised FM to improve stall and turn behavior. Also adjusted speeds at various altitudes to conform more closely to historical record.

Camel--Working on removing what appears to be a phantom third wing that may have an affect on crash behavior. Not many other changes to the FM of the Camel at this time.

This should cover most of what I have been working on at this time. If anyone knows of any other FM errors, problems, or niggles to any OFF plane that can be supported by historical evidence, please reply to this post and I will see what I can do. Cheers!

BIG ANNOUNCEMENT COMING!!

Well, maybe not THAT big, but still of interest to most P3 fans and any fans of my work, I hope.

Hint: It involves a certain Fokker... :grin:

Very much interested Mr Prop-Wasche! Like your work very much!

Maybe I should drop a few more hints?

This particular Fokker has a D in its name...

It has 3 wings...

Any guesses? :wink:

Perhaps if I mentioned that I have been able to induce the Dr1 to perform a bit of a flat turn?

Any interest then? :blink:

Wow, how did you manage to do that, Herr Prop-Wasche? Would love to try it, should add a lot of realism to the Dr1 flight model...

Impressing, keep up the good work!

I just thought you talked about the Fokker D.VIII with the Gnome engine you had developed with me.

Never heard of it again?

But three wings?

So you could get the Fokker Dr.1 closer to a flat turn?

And hopefully get rid of those sometimes very strange tail first spins?

PS: Hey, Kaische, I think you are not in the "OFF Forum Pilots Maps" yet?

So, if you send me a PM with your town, I'll add you in there.

I just thought you talked about the Fokker D.VIII with the Gnome engine you had developed with me.

Never heard of it again?

Oh my gosh, did I forget to send you the version that works in the campaign? If I did, let me know and I will send it to you.

I haven't included the D VIII in an update to my FM yet because I was waiting until I had finished the other planes (including the Dr1) I am working on. The trouble is is that it takes a very long time--weeks sometimes, instead of days--to make changes to just one aircraft. I suppose I should think about releasing those planes that I have mostly finished working on instead of waiting to finish the other ones first. I'm sorry if anyone felt I had forgotten them.

But three wings?

So you could get the Fokker Dr.1 closer to a flat turn?

And hopefully get rid of those sometimes very strange tail first spins?

Yep, I have managed to get the Dr1 to perform a flat turn. Now, it is not a very fast flat turn, but at least it can be done. I am still ironing out a couple of kinks and haven't actually tried it in combat yet, but it does work if you use opposite rudder and aileron.

I have become familiar with those tail-first spins, and they are still present, I'm afraid. I haven't paid much attention as to whether they are any more or less frequent than before my changes, however. Something else to work on, I guess!

Don't feel admonished - I am not sure if the version I have was the finished campaign version;

I only thought about the others - that it would be nice, if it would be made available.

But I understand it's part of the whole FM package, and that would only be annoying, if it had

to be replaced with each new plane, again and again.

So take your time to finish the others, and - hopefully - get it released before P4 comes out.

:grin:

If anyone is interested, I can post a zip file with a preliminary FM version of the Dr1 fit for QC flying later today.

I think I can be confident in saying that it will be ready in 2 weeks. :smile:

Damn - then it will come out together with P4! You know P4 will be released in TWO WEEKS?

:rofl:

I have a little time this week, so I and going to buckle down and work hard on getting my FM update ready before P4 comes out.

This update will not include the Camel, but will have the changes and updates from my first post in this thread, as well as the update to the Dr1--with a flat turn!

After I release this update I will start working on the Camel. My major goal will be to make it more dangerous, especially on takeoff.

If there are any other aircraft that you feel needs the "HPW treatment," please let me know and I will take a look at it immediately after I finish the Camel.

Hi there HPW,

I would be most keen to see the FOKKER mentioned being the Dr.I with regards to any FM changes:clapping:

Cheers,

Britisheh

I think I've done about all I can with the Dr1. It's a significant improvement in terms of the flat turn, but it's not perfect. I was also able to increase its climb a bit and made the turn a little tighter.

The real challenge will be the Camel, without G.P. being modeled.

Thanks for the updated FM of the DR1. :good:

You mention other updates to some other planes in your initial post, but I can't see any new downloads for them even in the downloads section.

Yes, that information was contained in the part of my post that got eaten.

I decided to release the DR1 now instead of with the other planes because I am still flight testing some of the other aircraft, which may take another couple of days or so. I also thought some people might like to have the DR1 as a seperate download. I will include it with the other planes when I am finished testing.

I think everyone will enjoy flying the DR1 with the new FM. Of course, the major change to the FM is the addition of the flat turn. Minor improvements to the climb rate and turning radius were also made, but not enough for them to be too noticeable. I also reduced the weight by about 20 pounds and changed the parasitic drag somewhat to make the DR1 slightly slower in the dive.

The additon of the flat turn really makes the DR1 a more dangerous opponent--especially on defense. With this change, I think I can understand why Voss may have met his early demise: the flat turn allows you to keep inside the turn (as long as you turn right, the flat turn seems to work best only if turning to the right) of any other scout in the game. This allows you to quickly escape out of the bullet stream of any following aircraft. In the hands of an excellent pilot, like Voss, it may actually promote too much confidence. I did a test, and found that I could complete a 360 degree flat turn to the right in approximately 12 seconds. While this sounds slow, keep in mind that the flat turn doesn't require nearly as much forward momentum--you almost turn on a dime, as it were. As a result, you can easily get your opponent to overshoot, because while they are turning, they are also moving forward, away from you. You can then turn back on them, giving you the advantage. Unfortunately, the DR1 is still comparitively slow, so it is still hard to run away from a fight, but that is as it actually was during the Great War.

I hope that a few of you will be willing to start a new campaign with the DR1 and will report your successes (or failures) in the "Reports from the Front" thread. I really look forward to hearing your thoughts about the "new" DR1 and its new-found flat turning ability.

The rest of my FM mod will be released in a few days, I hope. All together, I have been able to modify approximately 20 of the 47 planes in OFF.