About to give the DR1 a try and looking forward to the rest of the mod (tho I'll prob be on hols when it comes out) after a recent lay-off, partly enforced after having two scareware attacks in a row, of the new nasty kind which leaves essential Windows cfunctions disabled even after you get rid of it . Have never really flown any of the WW1 sim DR1s before so I won't really ahve anything to compare with tho!

Hiya, Lima!

Sorry I've been slacking on the combined AI weight and FM mod thing. I'll get it out as soon as I finish up on the FM mod--promise!

I forgot to mention that the above download for the DR1 FM is for both QC battles and the campaign and contain all the necessary files for both. Installation is with JSGME. Currently, there is no readme file, but there will be one in the combined FM mod I will release in a few days.

I don't mean to troll, but any reviews yet for my revised Dr1? Now is the time to speak up, before I release the Dr1 along with the rest of my revised FM.

Even if you are completely satisfied or dissatisfied with the Dr1, all feedback helps me make the FMs for all the other planes better, so fire away!

Hello HPW, I've been in lurk mode for a while now but have been playing OFF with great vigor the past few months (I guess I caught the WW1 airwar bug again after having been away for well over a year) and I installed your DR1 FM last week and gave it some serious stick time. So far, I really like the flat turn implementation that you have modeled. As you said, it's far more responsive slipping to the right than left, which would seem to be in keeping with the effects of the radial engine. I need to start up a new DR1 campaign and really test it out, but so far in QC, I like it.

Don't mean to hijack your thread but I just wanted to say hi to some of my old multiplayer comrades; stumpjumper, axgrinder and sitting_duck and the rest that I spent some time flying the friendly and not so friendly skies with a few years ago! Howdy guys, been a long time!

I can't wait to get my hands on OFF2 and see what other changes in both DM and FM are in store.

Is it just me or does anyone keep watching that preview movie while murmuring o themselves, "Sooooon, please God make it sooooon!" :)

HPW, once I get some more time with your FM I will be sure and post more comments, but so far I gotta say I really like what you have done!

Take care all!

Madmatt

Edited by Madmatt

Downloaded your Dr1 FM mod and gave it a few tries: I´m very impressed and it adds some tactical aspects indeed. I don´t know a WW1 flight sim which models the flat spin fo the Fokker triplane. Well done, Herr Prop-Wasche!

Since now I haven´t seen an AI-Dr1 pilot taking benefit of the new capacilities of his plane, though...

Anyhow it is much more fun to pilot the triplane! Thank you!

Madmatt--

Is this Cincinnati Madmatt, of Battlefront and Combat Mission fame? It is an honor that you have tried and liked my mod. Thank you, Sir!

Kaische--

Glad you like it so far! It does make it more fun to fly, I think. The flat spin adds a tactical advantage you don't get with the other planes. Unfortunately, the AI doesn't seem to know how to take advantage of it. I'll have to try a QC against an ace flying a Dr1 and see what he can do!

Madmatt--

Is this Cincinnati Madmatt, of Battlefront and Combat Mission fame? It is an honor that you have tried and liked my mod. Thank you, Sir!

Ohhh, comeon now Prop! You know there can only ever be one Madmatt! It is true, I am he and he is me. Good to be back and see so many old (and somewhat haggard!) faces again. I apologize for having been away for so long. Lot's of things occurred since late 2009 which pulled me away from the virtual cockpit. You know, that jealous wench of a bride called real life. But since late last year I have been actively playing OFF again with vigor and checking in here daily to see what everyone has been up to.

That preview movie for OFF 2 posted in December has blown me away and really rekindled my passion for the events of WW1. So much so that I went out and added to my WW1 book and video collection a bit. I will post about that in a new thread once I get back home today. I really hope the MP aspects get a nice new coat of paint as I fondly recall some great times with my airmates online in the days right before HiTR came out. I still fly the skies occasionally over on the *other side* in ROF from time to time, but it's not quite the same and I do miss it. I am guessing the MP for OFF has sorta dried up as of late?

Anyway, don't mean to sidetrack your thread here Prop.

The new DR1 FM is a lot of fun to try out so I would encourage anyone that enjoys that three winged hellion to give it a go. You just might like it! :)

Madmatt

Edited by Madmatt

Hi Madmatt. Great to "read" your voice again, old chap! Don't feel bad about not being around much since 2009--I haven't posted on the Battlefront Boards for ages, although I still lurk there on occasion. I'm not nearly the grognard that I thought I was, I guess. I'm also not too much into the modern theatre of operations stuff and prefer my WWI and WWII sims and games. Are you still involved with Battlefront?

Glad that you appreciate the mod. It helps that Microsloth made the FM files text readable, otherwise I would have a very hard time deciphering all that hex code!

Are you a Reds fan? I'm a Cardinals fan (from my father) myself, even though I grew up and now live in S.W. Ohio again.

We should have a get together of area board members at a Red's game or at the Air Force museum sometime. Dave, one of this board's mods, actually lives only a mile or so from the Air Force museum himself. In fact, he is having a cookout at his place this labor day, I think. I told him I would attend. I'm sure anyone else within driving distance who reads this forum would be welcome too.

BTW, love your avatar! Is that your kitty or a generic one? And, is that a frog face? :grin:

Hi Madmatt. Great to "read" your voice again, old chap! Don't feel bad about not being around much since 2009--I haven't posted on the Battlefront Boards for ages, although I still lurk there on occasion. I'm not nearly the grognard that I thought I was, I guess. I'm also not too much into the modern theatre of operations stuff and prefer my WWI and WWII sims and games. Are you still involved with Battlefront?

Glad that you appreciate the mod. It helps that Microsloth made the FM files text readable, otherwise I would have a very hard time deciphering all that hex code!

Are you a Reds fan? I'm a Cardinals fan (from my father) myself, even though I grew up and now live in S.W. Ohio again.

We should have a get together of area board members at a Red's game or at the Air Force museum sometime. Dave, one of this board's mods, actually lives only a mile or so from the Air Force museum himself. In fact, he is having a cookout at his place this labor day, I think. I told him I would attend. I'm sure anyone else within driving distance who reads this forum would be welcome too.

BTW, love your avatar! Is that your kitty or a generic one? And, is that a frog face? :grin:

Heya Prop! I've been wanting to head up to Wright-Pat soon as the weather gets more stable. This weekend would be ideal but I have to go to Lexington KY for a bit. Maybe next week?

As to me, after nearly a decade with BFC, I left somewhat quietly back in the fall of 2009 and took a job running a global team of technical engineers with a company servicing the broadcast industry (TV stations). It's a far cry from what I used to do in the gaming biz, but it was time to make a change and I love to get to travel all around the world and the opportunity to work with some really cutting edge technologies. It's also nice to be out of the 'trenches' and get to focus on all sorts of management/executive level things. Still, the video game bug is still there and I don't think I will stay away from the industry forever. Besides, all modesty aside, I was too damn good at what I did to stay away forever. I have nothing but best wishes to bestow upon my former mates at Battlefront but I think I might like to give it another go myself some day in the future. ;)

Concerning the Reds, I will catch a game or two each season but I can't really count myself as much of an active fan.

Ah yes, my froggy kitten... That ball of cuteness is not mine (sadly) but an image I found on the net years ago. Funny you should mention cats though, as one of my own lil kitties decided that it would be fun to eat a penny. What wasn't so fun is what it did to his small intestines when it got lodged in there after his stomach acid began to eat away at the coin and seep deadly zinc into his body.

Thankfully, an emergency surgery and 1400 bucks later! (YEAH! FOURTEEN HUNDRED DAMN DOLLARS!!!) he is all better and now the wearer of an adorable plastic collar of shame (cuz he keeps trying to eat his sutures!). His name is Max, and he often likes to sit in my lap as I take to the virtual skies, so I couldn't abandon my furry feline co-pilot now could I?

Edited by Madmatt

Swallowed a penny?!! How in the world did your cat manage to down a penny without choking? The worst any of our cats did was swallow strings of X-mas tree tinsel. I remember having to pull that out of the business end of my cat on more than one occasion.

1400 bucks! Yikes! I'm sure your kittie appreciated it! Did you save the penny?

Heya Prop! I've been wanting to head up to Wright-Pat soon as the weather gets more stable. This weekend would be ideal but I have to go to Lexington KY for a bit. Maybe next week?

I'm up for a trip to the museum any time. Just send out a shout.

All right, I think I have (finally) ironed out the bugs which have been keeping me from uploading my FM mods and I expect to have something ready within a few days or so. The problem was that the sim uses some kind of checksum to insure against bad or corrupt files and misplacing a character of a zero somewhere can result in a corrupt file that won't work in the game. Hunting down those bugs can be a big chore and is the major reason I haven't posted a revised FM mod yet.

Now that I am back on track, I have a question about how people would like the mod to be structured. Would most people prefer a single mod that contains ALL of the planes, both Allied and German; or two separate mods, one for German planes and the other for Allied? Furthermore, would anyone prefer I put scouts in a separate mod from the two-seaters? (Note: so far, I only have revised FM's for 2 two-seaters: the Re8 and the Roland. I may include more later). Finally, "optional" plane versions (Sopwith Tripe, Pup, and Spad VII and XIII versions) will be included in their own separate mods.

I am leaning toward separate mods for Allied and German planes, plus the optional mods, but I am open to suggestions.

Hi HPW, back again after a week in Spain, which I needed after having to deal with two successive scareware attacks last month, the second needing the HD wiped and everything re-installed.

TBH I think it'd be a bad idea to separate the scouts, either by nationality or into other groups. You don't want to have to adjust to different performances (even subtly different ones) twice, first when nationality A's scouts are ready, then again when nationality B's are. Best if they are all done together, all that are being done anyway. Best wait till a full scout package is ready, folks can always delete any individual planes they don't want changed, from the mod's folder.

Two-seaters IMHO could sensibly be a separate package...except that 2-seaters which often acted as fighters could perhaps best be treated as scouts - the Brisfit being mainly a fighter, maybe the Hannoverana as well, perphaps also the RFC Strutter, maybe even the FE2.

Okay - and this is beginning to sound like the Python Spanish inquisition sketch - perhaps 3 packages - all scouts first, then 2-seater fighters, then other 2-seaters.

Swallowed a penny?!! How in the world did your cat manage to down a penny without choking? The worst any of our cats did was swallow strings of X-mas tree tinsel. I remember having to pull that out of the business end of my cat on more than one occasion.

1400 bucks! Yikes! I'm sure your kittie appreciated it! Did you save the penny?

I'm up for a trip to the museum any time. Just send out a shout.

Yup, A penny! The vet let me have it (moments after handing me the bill) so i'll take a pic of it to share. You can see where his stomach acid began to eat away at the surface of the coin. The good news is, he has recovered very well. He has also resumed chewing on nearly everything in sight so I have to keep an eye on him.

As to a Wright Pat trip, that might have to wait a couple of weeks as I am in the middle of full kitchen remodel and that's got me pretty busy (and covered in plaster dust) most weekends.

On the topic of how to package your FM's, I was thinking of maybe offering it up as both individual mods as well as a "all inclusive" version, either type installable via JSGME. That would allow people to select whatever individual plane they would want to install and play with as well as a simple "single mod" version which had them all in it.

You know, I could probably build you a dedicated installer this weekend if you want which would do that and more. It's been awhile since I stretched my installer coding muscles but I am sure I could whip up something decent in a few hours. PM me if you want to discuss.

Madmatt

The forum seems a bit quiet as we anxiously await more news about OFF2, so I thought I might bore you with details of a few things I am currently working on FM-wise (when I have the time, that is)! Mostly I am just working on minor updates, fixes and changes to my previously released FM's as well as a few fixes to the .cfg file (the main FM file) for the stock OFF FM.

Guten Tag, Herr Prop-Wasche;

You have done some fine work there with your mods, and I thank you. That being said, I hope that "P2" doesn't negate all your work. Have you enquired whether any of your mods will be applicable or necessary with P2?

Haben sie vielen dank! (Many Thanks)

Hi HPW, back again after a week in Spain, which I needed after having to deal with two successive scareware attacks last month, the second needing the HD wiped and everything re-installed.

TBH I think it'd be a bad idea to separate the scouts, either by nationality or into other groups. You don't want to have to adjust to different performances (even subtly different ones) twice, first when nationality A's scouts are ready, then again when nationality B's are. Best if they are all done together, all that are being done anyway. Best wait till a full scout package is ready, folks can always delete any individual planes they don't want changed, from the mod's folder.

Two-seaters IMHO could sensibly be a separate package...except that 2-seaters which often acted as fighters could perhaps best be treated as scouts - the Brisfit being mainly a fighter, maybe the Hannoverana as well, perphaps also the RFC Strutter, maybe even the FE2.

Okay - and this is beginning to sound like the Python Spanish inquisition sketch - perhaps 3 packages - all scouts first, then 2-seater fighters, then other 2-seaters.

Hi Lima, glad to hear that your computer troubles are sorted, I kinda thought you might have left us when I hadn't heard from you for awhile!

One thing I need to clear up: I don't have an FM for every plane in OFF--that would be too big of a project, I'm afraid. After this current FM project, I'll probably work on the Camel, the DFW, and the Fokker DVII's and OAW DVII and stop at that point. Hopefully by then, OFF2 will be in beta and perhaps ready for release.

Here is a list of planes that will be released in my next FM:

Allied Planes

Sopwith Pup 80 HP

Sopwith Pup 100 HP

Sopwith Tripe 1 Gun

Spad VII 150 HP

Spad VII 180 HP

Spad XIII 200 HP

Spad XIII 220 HP

Spad XIII 235 HP

Nieuport N28

Re8 (Harry Tate)

Sopwith Camel (wing damage fix only)

German Planes

Albatros DII

Albatros DII_early

Albatros DIII OAW

Albatros DIII

Albatros DV

Albatros DV_late

Albatros DVa

Albatros DVa_200

Fokker EIII

Fokker Dr1

Fokker EV

Pfalz DIIIa

Roland

I can add others at user request but they will have to wait for my next version, if I can get it out before OFF2.

Yup, A penny! The vet let me have it (moments after handing me the bill) so i'll take a pic of it to share. You can see where his stomach acid began to eat away at the surface of the coin. The good news is, he has recovered very well. He has also resumed chewing on nearly everything in sight so I have to keep an eye on him.

As to a Wright Pat trip, that might have to wait a couple of weeks as I am in the middle of full kitchen remodel and that's got me pretty busy (and covered in plaster dust) most weekends.

On the topic of how to package your FM's, I was thinking of maybe offering it up as both individual mods as well as a "all inclusive" version, either type installable via JSGME. That would allow people to select whatever individual plane they would want to install and play with as well as a simple "single mod" version which had them all in it.

You know, I could probably build you a dedicated installer this weekend if you want which would do that and more. It's been awhile since I stretched my installer coding muscles but I am sure I could whip up something decent in a few hours. PM me if you want to discuss.

Madmatt

And don't forget to include a picture of your kitty, too! The little rascal!

My cat doesn't chew so much as scratch-the furniture, my sheets, clothes, and me. All in good fun, though.

An installer sounds intriguing. I'll send you a PM.

Guten Tag, Herr Prop-Wasche;

You have done some fine work there with your mods, and I thank you. That being said, I hope that "P2" doesn't negate all your work. Have you enquired whether any of your mods will be applicable or necessary with P2?

Haben sie vielen dank! (Many Thanks)

I frankly have no idea if my mods will be compatible with OFF2. I'm hoping that they will be with only a minimum of tweaking, because I will need time to work on the new planes which will be included in OFF! Mmmm, Gothas!

BTW, I've tested the Fokker EIII, Fokker EV, and Pfalz DIIIa and I think I've cured the strange "rudder flip stall" that the original version of these planes suffer from. What I mean by that is the tendency in these planes for rudder in the same direction as your turn to raise the nose (and cause a flip stall) and for opposite rudder to lower the nose in a turn. Solving this problem alone makes these planes easier to fly without removing the other quirks that make these planes among the more challenging to use in OFF.

Thanks for the work, HPW - may have to try it out (despite being rather monogamous with my Albatros).

Hey, Madmatt, that's a long time I haven't seen you here - great you're back and infected! :grin:

I hoped very much, that you would perhaps come up with some idiot-proof kind of manual

for Multiplayer, once OFF II (P4) will be released. Can I hope?

BTW, I've tested the Fokker EIII, Fokker EV, and Pfalz DIIIa and I think I've cured the strange "rudder flip stall" that the original version of these planes suffer from. What I mean by that is the tendency in these planes for rudder in the same direction as your turn to raise the nose (and cause a flip stall) and for opposite rudder to lower the nose in a turn. Solving this problem alone makes these planes easier to fly without removing the other quirks that make these planes among the more challenging to use in OFF.

Now, that IS good news, have been having a blast with the new FE2 campaign the last couple of evenings so I have not seriously tried the Dr1 out yet, which having read the above, I'm off to do right after typing this! The prospect of the Pfalz being turned from 'spring chicken to sh*tehawk' (or from turkey to eagle, might be more apt, tho less memorable than the famous line from the BoB movie) is very tempting, so I'm looking forward to the final package!!!

Edited by 33LIMA

Thanks for the work, HPW - may have to try it out (despite being rather monogamous with my Albatros).

Hey, Madmatt, that's a long time I haven't seen you here - great you're back and infected! :grin:

I hoped very much, that you would perhaps come up with some idiot-proof kind of manual

for Multiplayer, once OFF II (P4) will be released. Can I hope?

Ah yes, hope does spring eternal now doesn't it? Here's hoping that when OFF-2 is released, it won't need an extra manual to figure out the various nuances of multiplayer. The HOST MISSION function shown on the QC panel in the OFF 2 preview movie makes me hope that is just the tip of the iceburg!

Madmatt

Yes, let's hope.

But since I had seen your "Essentials for Multiplayer" thread in the download section, I might be

the man to help with getting everything right. I had not been into MP sessions at all back then, when

you guys did it. But that has changed, and I would LOVE to fly OFF in MP.

Sorry for getting a bit off topic here, HPW - Matt, if you should be prepared to take up that burden,

you could perhaps start a new thread for it then. I guess it need someone who knows what is

needed, to make it possible for more enthusiasts.