I'm starting work on my first SF2 mod, a GUI overhaul for the Menus in SF2 and had a question about resolutions.

The stock menu is based on a resolution of 1024x768. When the res is increased from within SF2 the menu seems to gets stretched and slightly distorted. I was thinking I would work on a menu thats 1680x1050 so when its shrinked for lesser resolutions the distortion wouldn't be to bad. The only problem I foresee is that positioning of menu items might be a problem.

So my question is, what resolution should I do this Mod in? 1024 or 1680?

1920x1080

Hello Dave,

You do have a point as that's the "Highest" Resolution.

However, The max resolution on my monitor is only 1680x1050. I would need a set of menu screenshots in 1920 for reference.

I have experimented with resizing and my worry is is that at a base of 1920 players who play at 1024 would have serious "Shrinkage" horizontally. The distortion is pretty bad. I need to find the mid-point me thinks.

What is the resolution most players use? would be a good question to poll.

1680x1050 works fine on my 1920x1080. So I would use that.

Its a question of Display Aspect Ratio

HD:

1920 × 1080 = 16:9

Widescreen:

1680 × 1050 = 8:5

1920 × 1200 = 16:10

ORIGINAL:

1280 × 768 = 5:3

It's obvious to see why the distortion occurs. None of them will re-size well in relation to the other as they all cover different ratios.

799px-aspect_ratios_and_resolutionssvg.png

Ideally it would be great to do 3 versions but its a daunting task just to do one. As its always better to work big and scale down, I might work it from 1920x1200 as its still an 8:5 ratio which is the same as my native DAR. That way if this project works out it makes other versions easier to do. I just hope that SF2:NA doesn't change the way things work.

So it comes down to "Wide Screen" vs. "HD".

Edited by Hellman

Another question....

I noticed that transparency is managed through "alpha channels" in TGA (Targa file format)

Is PNG supported? It seems a better choice.

TGA is better, also for non alpha, use bmp or jpgs

I would like to change some of the text in the Menu's from Lowercase to Uppercase and can't figure out how to change the .STR files from the expanded MenuText.CAT. I can open the .STR file in a text editor but I am cautious that when I re-save I might have some issues.

Any insight would be appreciated

Thanks in advance.

I have edited a few .STR files with a hex editor. It usually works out. I got lots of practice by editing EAW files in the old days.

HOWEVER!!! As Mister WRENCH says "Always,repeat Always back up your work by keeping a copy of the original somewhere else just in case it doesn't." You can then delete the messed up file and put the original back. :yes:

This sage advice has saved me several total re-installs. :good:

I have edited a few .STR files with a hex editor. It usually works out. I got lots of practice by editing EAW files in the old days.

HOWEVER!!! As Mister WRENCH says "Always,repeat Always back up your work by keeping a copy of the original somewhere else just in case it doesn't." You can then delete the messed up file and put the original back. :yes:

This sage advice has saved me several total re-installs. :good:

Hey ezlead,

Yes, "Save or Die" is my motto and BACK-UP frequently. Learned those the hard way many moons ago.

TK gave me the answer to my query. I can avoid the .STR and work it out from within the .INIs

Cheers,