Sign in to follow this  
Tony_Spike

creating era specific and multi game installs

OK here is my problem

I know that the strike fighters 2 series has the option to create a multi game install ..........and i want to create one with my wings over Europe game and I have a few questions ..... I haven't found the answers on the forum and I wouldn't mind a strait answer from someone more in the know

1 ..... I installed strike fighters gold .....then wings over Europe ......when I finally got my copy of wings over Vietnam it asked me if I wanted to merge them (I didn't ..for reasons I will explain later) ...but it was my assumption that this was a strike fighters 2 feature only ....my copy of wings over Europe didn't recognise strike fighters gold and didn't offer me this option when I installed it ........my copy of WOV only recognised WOE and not SFG .....so I am wondering why this is and could my copy of WOV be strike fighters 2 : Vietnam in WOV clothing? ..it says WOV on the box

2 ..my copies of SFG, WOV, and WOE ALL work excellently on windows vista .........but I thought I needed SF2 for this to work ......could my games be newer versions? ....SFG and WOE all came on their own with WOE being part of the sold out label (cut price pc titles from mastertronic) .....my WOV came in a multi pack with another Vietnam based game (elite warriors: Vietnam) .......but all of them need the patches from Oct 2008 to work without crashing (after missions are completed quitting causes the game to exit altogether ....the 2008 patches fix this though) ......its something that has stumped me to be honest ... I could just be one of the lucky ones though,

3....... I am creating a multi install using a mod enabler (hence why I declined and let WOV install separate) I am going to be putting the planes and missions that are not in WOE from the other two games by placing them in a MODS folder and using generic mod enabler to apply them when I need them (same as I have done for NATO Fighters)....is their anything I should bear in mind when i do this (it works for NATO fighters) but I want an install where the games wont interfere with each other and I want to know what does WOV and SFG have that WOE doesn't ....game mechanics wise ...not aircraft ...... I know they are pretty much the same but i heard that WOV has carriers and WOE doesn't so I need to know what features to add to WOE that will work over all the installs when I apply the other games planes and content using the mod enabler

4 .....on top of all this I want to create an era specific install for world war 2 .....but I am not sure witch game would be better to use as base .....i have heard about only patching as far as the 2006 patches but would WOV or first eagles be a better base

I am thinking first eagles because with the 2008 patch the flight and avionics might be better for prop based aircraft but obviously theirs he issue of WW1 aircraft having fixed undercarriage so I am not sure

anyone who takes their time to answer these questions i will be most grateful ...thanks in advance and thanks for taking the time to just read this post

heres an interesting thing to note .......i was trying to extract the carrier from wings over europes cat files as per the instructions in the knowlledge base and when i checked the same cat file from my wings over europe install i found the files their too .....does this mean its already in my version of the WOE game

For first gen sims it is better to make separate installations.

1 - WOE and WOV could be merged - but its only those 2 that can be merged in the SF1 series. You dont have SF2 by mistake (you would know because the SF2 Games are very different now)

2. No - The very last patches (2008) for these old games fixed a few things so they will work with Vista/7

3. Yes a lot of the cat files from WOE did contain files from WOV - and yes you could use them with the right tweaks - cant remember though whether you could use the carriers - think you should be able to.

As to how they differ internally pass - there are a few differences - the Knowledgebase or old thread might help there.

For a separate mod install in SF1 make a copy of one of the games entire folder and file structure - then rename the exe file in the copy and use that.

anything here:

http://combatace.com/forum/247-thirdwire-prop-heads/

http://combatace.com/forum/288-thirdwire-prop-heads-sf2/

The problem with a merged WoE/WoV install is that when you play random single player missions, the game engine will randomly match aircraft from the entire planeset no matter which terrain you fly in. i.e. You may see a Soviet MiG flying in Vietnam or vice versa. Other than that little problem, the merged install was the way to go, especially if you play multiplayer, as it gives a much broader range of planes to choose from. I used to manually extract and drag over the files from SFP1/SFGold to fill in the few remaining assets: C-130, dessert terrain, etc.

I take it this was of no help??.......

http://combatace.com...ecific-install/

yeah it was cheers ....a great help ...but it doesn't say if First Eagles would be a better game or not (witch was kinda what my question was getting at) ....it just says i can use any .......i just want to know if the prop physics on that game would be best to use instead of a patched WOE (2006 patch)

2. No - The very last patches (2008) for these old games fixed a few things so they will work with Vista/7

but that's what i am getting at ..it works well enough even without the patch ..the patch just improves it lol

thanks for the help either way guys i appreciate it lol .....and yeah i was going do the copy and paste thing ....but just using the mod enabler ...with that i can put whatever i want on then it takes them all out just as easily lol .......having accurate aircraft on single mission mode doesn't matter to me anyway ....i am more of a multiplayer guy ....and i play on the campaigns more and those can be changed in their own INIs lol

for WW2, FE isn't right ... lacks many "things" that'll be needed. You can use 08 level, just expect a certain amount of 'oddness' in aircraft handling (as all the FM will be porked)

right ...WOE it is then .....cheers for that .....i just hope the 06 patch fixes the CTD bug lol .......thanks for that mate

Which CTD bug??? as there are/were several. Please specify!!!

oh sorry ...its the ctd on mission exit ..but i managed to find a tutorial that stops it ..its fixed now