ghostrider883

Rafale wins Indian MMRCA contract

After a never ending wait, the Dassault Rafale has been chosen over the Eurofighter as IAF's next Multirole combat aircraft. Dassault turned out to be the lowest bidder.

jupi better wins!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:flyer:

:groupwave:

I preferred typhoon but none oof my opinion matters xD, Rafale is what we need but typhoon seems better in air to air also the french escalate maintenance costs by a very high margin.

A much needed success for the Rafale after so many losses...

Without it, production of the type would end in a few years.

Even I'm not a fan of the 'Rafale' this could be see as a good news for Dassault Indutries. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I feel that its ability to be carried played in his selection. Maybe the I.A.F could consider a possible shipment of its new aircraft along the others from the Indian Navy in case of an emergency conflict, as has dared to do the R.A.F with her GR.3 on the 'Invincible', 'Hermes' and 'Atlantic Conveyor' . Only in cases of an emergency situation, of course.

Rafale is more handsome :grin:. I love its sleek looks.

Heh, They needed that after Switzerland. But I doubt they will get Brazil as well.

Rafale cheaper than the russian birds? :dntknw:

:flyer::blowup:

Depends on your definition. I suppose the question would be "how many Russian birds would you have to buy to have the same number fully opertaional at any one time as having X number of Rafales?" My guess is that number is close to 2X or higher!

Besides, India just got the MiG-29s and the carrier from Russia. They're showing Moscow they have other places to go. This follows on from their Mirage 2000s and older Mirages. The Typhoon loss doesn't really surprise me, as the Rafale I believe has done more multirole work than the Typhoon to date and the Typhoon is stretching the definition of "medium" fighter.

I was honestly more surprised when it and the Rafale were short-listed. Neither seemed likely to win at the time. I'm sure the Rafale was cheaper because France was desperate to make a sale and the EF group was probably far less focused.

Besides, we all know the money isn't the plane, it's in the consumables you buy later on! Wait till India sees how much the ink cartridges are! :wink:

Rafal is cheaper than the Eurofighter, it was a fight in the last steps between EADS and Dassault ;) The russian birds were earlier out of the game

I suspect that the aerial operations France led this year over Libya, largely focusing on the land- and carrier-based Rafales, were in a large part intended to promote outlets for this multirole fighter, thus assessable in the long term over a hostile place. It seems it worked in India. It had been confirmed this year that a major foreign market was required for the production to carry on. I just hope that this nice bird will never have to tangle with Pakistani or Chinese fighters.

I accept that India favors the french Rafale to have a second iron in the fire, to become not to much depend on Russia. But not that the Rafale is cheaper than the MiG's. That the MiG's were out of business was caused by the russian inability to hold the timeframe in the past. The MiG-21Bison was far behind the schedule and the Varjag carrier is it too. So i think India is hoping to get the Rafale in a more reliable timeframe.

No doubt their record with the Jaguar and Mirages worked in their favor and against the Russians.

they problaby wont to use the know-how from bluiding the Rafale for there on projects like the Tejas and outher bigger project to come

the Typhoon does not have has far has i know air to ground avionics yet!

I personally like the Gripen over the Rafale, but I guess the Gripen's shorter leg must've been a limitation...

Gripen is IMO most suitable for smaller countries, it's cheap, can take off from my backyard(which is really small), easy to maintain and service and still very modern and capable...

Good show for the French, they needed it but i.m.h.o. also deserved it. In the future possible advantages in commonality if the Indian Navy needs new shipboard fighters, in the mean time reasonable all round performer and more multi role at the moment than the Eurofighter..........:good:

The Gripen is also now the oldest of the "new generation" of fighters. That's why the NG is being developed of course.

The Gripen is also now the oldest of the "new generation" of fighters. That's why the NG is being developed of course.

Yeah but Rafale is older, at least considering first flight... which was in 1986 vs Gripen in 1988... :yikes:

Well, I'm not sure how close the Rafale A is to the current ones. It was like the YF-22 or X-35, just a prototype. Likewise the EAP flew around 1986 as well, but that's also pretty far removed from the current "Typhoon."

The Gripen, however, I got the impression was changed far less from first flight to service entry.

How did I miss this?? lol

Also, there's the situation of India's policy of not using weapons and systems that it's rivals use. Whilst Pakistan may not even be looking to have the Typhoon in service, Saudi Arabia does and the military ties between the two nations a very, very close. India was certainly in a difficult spot. They couldn't rely on the US aircraft for fear of shifting their over-dependence on military equipment from Russia to the US. Purchasing the Mig-35 was akin to the previous statement and the lack of reliability from Russian contractors in recent years was definitely a sour point. The Gripen, whilst very capable was short legged and the NG currently too risky. And the French had a history of over-charging for their equipment when compared with other Western equipment. It was a difficult choice to make but ultimately, this will work out nicely for them, particularly their home grown industry.

How did I miss this?? lol

. And the French had a history of over-charging for their equipment when compared with other Western equipment.

....... but I wouldn't be surprised if the Froggies will earn back the initial price savings in the spare parts bussiness the coming 20 years or so.....:grin: