ShinKazama88

VR Headset or 3-Screen Combo?

Sony has released the HMZ-1 Personal 3d-Viewer for some time now and i just want to know which would be better:

3 screens linked together? or a headset with track IR?

For a flight simulator project.

Thanks guys,

Cheers!

There are several problems using the VR set. you can't see your phisical cockpit, or keyboard or whatever. Track IR can only track if you are looking toward it. I supose if you used free track pointed the trackclip at the ceiling and had the camera locking down on you it could work. You would have to swap some axis, pitch would still be pitch but roll would be yaw and yaw roll.

I gess you could have a double setup in wich you'd have a big screen in front of you, for when regular flight/cockpit operation, and the VR set would be use much like a NVG set that you would lower for dogfight, one of the displays would just have to mirror the other. I don't know the resolution of that VR set but I'm gessing it would be a problem, and one of the limitations you'll face, until we have VR sets that can display high resolutions they will be a no go for most advanced users.

Yes, I don't think VR/goggles is "there" yet at a cost-effective price. Triple monitors are.

HMZ-T1 can go as high as 1280X720 before downscaling, has stereoscopic 3d and is worth $800

Sony has released the HMZ-1 Personal 3d-Viewer for some time now and i just want to know which would be better:

3 screens linked together? or a headset with track IR?

For a flight simulator project.

Thanks guys,

Cheers!

I think if you use Sony HMZ-T1 and TrackIR together,what you see in HMZ-T1 will move to turn the head as in the cabin of the real aircraft. You should try and configure TrackIR.

I started pondering the possibility of a HMD with the view slaved to your head movement back in 1999 (before anyone, as far as I know, ever heard of TrackIR). To work the way I envisioned it and you want it, ShinKazama, depends on a 1-1 scaling for the head tracker, which isn't possible with TIR. I don't know of any current system that would accomplish that, but I readily admit that I don't stay as up-to-date on the subject as I would if I could afford a setup like that. I'm guessing something inertial, possibly utilizing minature gyros on multiple axes.

A point to consider is the recent developments in 3D TV's. A few years ago, to achieve stereoptic vision required two screens one for each eye, which is the trend in HMD's. In some cases they go for more than two...check this out. But I anticipate that it won't be long before they shift to a single 3D screen with individual lenses for each eye much the same as you have with TV's and movie theaters. And once that starts filtering into the market I expect the prices of the HMD's will come down dramatically, as will the video card demands/requirements. And if they use flexible OLED screens they should also be able to achieve the wrap-around effect of that pi-Sight.

As Tank said to Neo, "These are exciting times."