Sign in to follow this  
Hauksbee

TrackIR goes strange...still

Am I the only person who's TrackIR drives him crazy? When TrackIR works it's a joy, when it doesn't, I'm climbing the walls. Every time I go to use it, I expect to have to tweak something.(the Track Clip Pro has moved when I set down the headphones, or the cat has bumped the camera) I adjust them, and hit the F12 key to center. But as soon as I move my head, it all goes wonky. Pitch (up and down) is usually pretty good, but Yaw (side-to-side) wallows all over the place. The slightest turn of my head to the left sends the view reeling off into the upper left quadrant, while movement to the right drops way down into the bottom right quadrant. Again, sometimes, the whole 360 degree sphere is visible. Sometimes just part of it because I'm inside it, sometimes I'm outside. What drives me crazy is that when it works I don't know what I did right, and when it doesn't, I don't know how to solve the problem. I adjust the Track Clip Pro, fiddle with the camera, move my seat, moved forward and/or back from the monitor, adjusted the tilt of the flat screen monitor it sits on, turned off all lights in the room and I’m using a profile Olham sent me.(which worked great for a while) I even went into Control Panel and deleted the TrackIR 4 software assuming that there might be a conflict with 5.0. (tho' I guess not. Nothing changed.) This morning I downloaded the latest software which included a complete uninstall/re-install. I'm even using a whole new camera/Track Clip Pro which I got for a friend (my computer guy) for Christmas and it turned out his favorite game doesn't support TrackIR. So when I told him of my problem, we thought it might be my camera and he loaned me his. I'm fresh out of options.

TRACKIR.JPG

I'm no expert, but here are a couple of suggestions.

First, try adjusting the speed setting to a value closer to 1. Perhaps your computer is having trouble keeping up with your speed of .5.

Second, have you tried adjusting the curve on your yaw setting? The curve that I can see from your picture looks pretty aggressive. You migh flatten it out a bit, especially at the extremes.

Of course, I bet you've already tried these ideas!

This is not the original profile I sent to you, Hauksbee - the "Speed" value was "1"; not lower.

Remember: if you use that thingy attached to the headphones at your left head side,

you MUST put the TrackIR camera on the left third of your monitor - not center.

Edited by Olham

This is not the original profile I sent to you, Hauksbee - the "Speed" value was "1"; not lower.

Remember: if you use that thingy attached to the headphones at your left head side,

you MUST put the TrackIR camera on the left third of your monitor - not center.

On the TrackIR profile you use are the 6 DOF check boxes. Pitch, Yaw, Roll, X, Y and Z. Try unchecking (X, Y or Z only) - each in turn one - unchecking one of them did the trick for me.

First, try adjusting the speed setting to a value closer to 1. Perhaps your computer is having trouble keeping up with your speed of .5.

Second, have you tried adjusting the curve on your yaw setting? The curve that I can see from your picture looks pretty aggressive. You might flatten it out a bit, especially at the extremes.

Herr Prop-Wasche: Thanks. I had not tried either of those ideas. Actually, the Speed Setting was not 5, but 0.5. I had experimented. It's back at 1 now as Olham pointed out it should be. Could you post a rough diagram of what the Yaw Curve should look like. I hesitate to just plunge in.

Olham:: In addition to correcting the speed, I do have the Track Clip Pro on the left side of the headphones and the camera on the left corner of the monitor.

Sandbagger: 'Tried unchecking the X,Y and Z boxes, one at a time.

So far guys, nothing seems to work. The wallowing Vertical/Horizontal axes still looks like the attached pic. And it does so with the three supplied profiles (Default, One:One and Smooth, plus Olham's and one of my own.)

Firstly the unit should be about 3 inches (7-8cm) to the left of the monitor center - not so far left as you have it. Get someone's trackIR profile for OFF and try that I'd suggest as a starting point. Very steep curves in the profiles like you have will have massive acceleration changes and can go bananas easily. Also move the end points out and flatten the whole thing. Try mine if you like.

Try making sure there's no bright lights behind you too.

Check the dots in the view and not vanishing as you turn your head, if so it will confuse it.

If you have an older unit maybe you need to move it back some, that alwas helped in the past for me.

Plug into a different USB port too may help (preferably a master USB port - some do not provide proper power etc).

Other than that maybe roll has a bananas curve on it.

Pol OFF TrackIR Profile2.rar

Min set up has the Z DOF unchecked?

Lookin at your screen shot - its showing the YAW setup - your green lines are way up on the adjustment scale - mine flatten out around two and a half squares up from the base, touching left and right sides.

I wonder if you've got these set to high (extreme) and TrackIR can't cope and is going haywaire when you get to full yaw views?

Firstly the unit should be about 3 inches (7-8cm) to the left of the monitor center - not so far left as you have it. Get someone's trackIR profile for OFF....Try mine if you like.

Since I've been getting messages occasionally from my C:\ drive of late saying it's stretched for resources, I decided to uninstall TrackIR and re-install on the J:\ where I've got room and to spare. I installed from the TrackIR 4.1 disc, then updated to a more current version. 'Problem is, I can't get a full install on the J:\. It wants to install to C:\ Natural Point\ TrackIR 4. Usually, you can type in, or amend this path. But not here. 'Can't select any type at all. I have to hit the Browse Button and when I find and select J:\, it only installs the app., but does not create a Natural Point folder with app. and extras. Several times today I've uninstalled and re-installed and tried to create the other folders manually, but now I've boogered something. TrackIR will not launch at all. I get the opening screen and immediately and error message that says "TrackIR has stopped working" and it all shuts down in a flash. I've got a call in to my computer guy to help me sort that out.

Before it stopped working, I was getting some progress. It tracked nicely up-and-down, and smoothly all the way out to the left. To the right it went smooth for a bit, but past a certain point, it flips upside down and goes crazy. On the whole, I'd call that progress.

As for putting the camera left-of-center on the monitor, I'm going on the assumption that the three dots should center on the cross-hairs? (pic. attached, slightly enhanced) The only way I can get them there is to use the far left position. I have plugged the TrackIR into the tower, not an external hub.

Thanks for the profile, Pol. I dropped it into the Profiles Folder, just like I did with Olham's. Unlike his, yours does not want to show up in the TrackIR UI. Odd.

Sandbagger: However it shows on the pic. I posted, it's been doing it the same way with every profile I've tried.

3 DOTS.JPG

Hauksbee, a while back I posted about installing TrackIR onto another drive. Just pop over to this link:

A Tip For Track IR, If You Have Multiple Hard Drives

As to your image showing the light point display, they should form a triangle that is centered on the crosshair, like this:

TrackIR light points.jpg

Edited by RAF_Louvert

As to your image showing the light point display, they should form a triangle that is centered on the crosshair, like this:

RAF_Lou, I'll try your technique tomorrow. As I have already deleted the Natural Point folder on my C:\ drive, I'll have to uninstall TrackIR again, and do a fresh re-install on the C:\ drive so I can get a new Natural Point folder that I can copy and paste over to the J:\ drive.

Are you using the TrackIR Hat Clip, or the Track Clip Pro that goes on headphones? From the position of the dots, I'd say you have the Hat Clip. I don't ever recall seeing them in that configuration with the Track Pro Clip.

Oh yes, Hauksbee, I am using the hat clip, (sorry about that). However, even with the Clip Pro the pattern you are showing is incorrect. It should form a triangle that looks like this:

TrackIR_light_points_2.jpg

I think you need to adjust your clip as the pattern you have appears inverted and more linear than triangular, and I'll bet this is confusing TrackIR when the mood is right, (or wrong, depending on how you look at it).

Didn't read everything, so it may have been mentioned: don't underestimate the reflection from your glasses (if you wear them);

or the glowing red dot of a cigarette, when you smoke.

...don't underestimate the reflection from your glasses (if you wear them);or the glowing red dot of a cigarette, when you smoke.

Well, I don't smoke, but I'll keep that tip about glasses in mind.

RAF_Lou: you were right about the light pattern. The long arm on the Track Clip Pro definitely goes down. Happily, that was an easy fix.

In the ONE-STEP-FORWARD-TWO-STEPS-BACK Dept., I got into Control Panels and uninstalled TrackIR, then did a fresh install from the 4.1 disc. But when I launch it from the ShortCut on the desktop, I get this (see attached). On the one hand TrackIR seems to be running, on the other, I can't find a way to bring up the User Interface.I should think there'd be a way to get there...like File>Open, but clicking on File opens a menu with only one choice: Close.

Is there a way out of this loop?

ouy987546.JPG

Well, at the bottom it says "Status: Disabled" and further right "Enable: F9" - did you try F9?

Well, at the bottom it says "Status: Disabled" and further right "Enable: F9" - did you try F9?

I did. It toggles between "Disabled" and "No Data". Go figure?

Well that is odd Hauksbee. Not sure where to steer you on this one. Your new shortcut is pointing to the copied TrackIR folder on your 'J' drive, correct? And you renamed the original TrackIR folder on your 'C' drive so that Windows can no longer find it, and deleted any shortcuts on your desktop pointing to it, correct?

Your new shortcut is pointing to the copied TrackIR folder on your 'J' drive, correct? And you renamed the original TrackIR folder on your 'C' drive so that Windows can no longer find it, and deleted any shortcuts on your desktop pointing to it, correct?

Not quite. This is still on the C:\; I tried to open TrackIR as soon as the new install was done. First, because yesterday TrackIR would shut down as soon as I launched it, secondly, because if it opened at all, I wanted to try the Track Clip Pro with the lights flipped 180. I did, however; delete the old desktop ishortcuts.

Edited by Hauksbee

I hate to say this, Hauksbee, but it sounds like TrackIR is fouled up in the Registry settings.

Unfortunately, I am still stuck using XP, so I'm afraid I can't advise you about editing the Registry in Windows 7. If you are using XP, I would go into the Registry and delete all references to TrackIR, and then try reinstalling it. You may just have to wait until your computer guru gets there.

Actually, if the issues are being caused by old bits and pieces left in the registry and cache, I strongly recommend installing and running CCleaner. It is an excellent, and free, cache and registry cleaner that will do the job very well. I have been using it for the last few years myself, and running it once a week does wonders, (or after uninstalling old programs and after installing updates). Here is a link to the download at FIle Hippo:

CCleaner Latest Download

Yes, I also use CCleaner, and it works great and easy.

I downloaded CCleaner and ran it, then upgraded to the latest version and ran it again. I'm sure it did some good, but it didn't affect TrackIR. I still get the white screen. I'll pester my computer-tech guy for a fly-by appointment.

On a whim...well, grasping at straws, I downloaded the TrackIR 5 software, and the UI came up. Everything seems to work smoothly. I'll try again in the morning before I go bat-sh*t with happiness.

Well...it's the morning after, and TrackIR still respects me. 'Fired it up just minutes ago, and the tracking is everything one could hope for. I hereby pronounce me cured! My thanks for all the suggestions.