Sign in to follow this  
Olham

Did Werner Voss have a brother?

Just found this pic in the web. Doesn't the guy at the right side look much like Voss?

Could he be a brother?

From Wikipedia (not the most reliable source for specifics, but I figure there's no particular reason to falsify this kind of thing):

"Born in Krefeld in 1897, Voss was the youngest of three sons and two daughters of an industrial dyer."

There's nothing else at all about his family. I would guess you could access more specific information there, knowing there's something to find.

He had two brothers, Olham: Max and Otto. Not sure what the story is on either one of them.

Oh, I can believe it Sir. :smile:

Also, I wanted to add, that the photo Olham posted is actually of Werner and his two brothers, which is why they look like they might be related. :grin:

I thought that the two on either end had very similar features;eyes, nose, mouth, even ears and general head shape. The one in the middle, not so much. I'm guessing the two took after one parent and the middle gent the other. Anyone have any photos of the parents?

**edit

Olham, feel free to jump back in any time. :grin:

Edited by von Baur

Okay, so that explains it, Lou - thanks!

Von Baur, I find the left guy doesn't fit so much - Werner and the right guy could almost be twins.

Speaking of Voss' family...

I've found this beautifully colorized one, of Voss' mother and sisters meeting MvR:

post-10763-0-51868300-1328471673.jpg

post-10763-0-73186800-1328471695.jpg

:salute:

I must always laugh, when I see MvR in this photo. All the cavalry man. Or very embarrased?

And Leutnant Scheffer needs to eat something. He's practically starving! :grin:

Olham, on "Fokker Dr I aces of World War One" (Osprey Editions), your photograph is said to be the last for Werner Voss, taken in the morning of 23 September 1917, just after Werner's 48th kill and the arrival of his elder brothers Otto and Max at Marcke airfield, to bring Werner on scheduled long leave, and just before Werner's last mission. By the way, Til Schweiger to play Werner Voss was one of the many bad choices of "The Red Baron"...

Well, "Der Rote Baron" (the film) has nothing to do with MvR or Werner Voss.

They would have done much better, if they had made this film about some other Jasta, less known.

The last day of Werner Voss?

Could it be, that he got kind of coky, with his brothers so close, and one day before his leave?

He looks very well - not at all suicidal.

Actually, Voss was expected to leave that same evening of September 23. In the caption of the photograph,his brothers later said that they found him very tired, and very impatient to leave for rest. But he was also eager to pack his 49th and 50th kills before he could leave. He finally became a legend through another way. Just another victim of the insane individual race for the highest score, like Helmut Wick and Tommy McGuire after him.

Maybe they were just too young to know any better.

Max Voss, now that's a name!

Sounds like the sort of bloke who eats danger for breakfast!

Either that or the Bad Guy from a James Bond film.

Edited by MikeDixonUK

Max Voss, now that's a name!

There's a guy I see driving around my area of northern Virginia in his BMW Z4 sportscar with the license plate number "MAX SNEL". Now that's a name for a racer! Amazing what you can do with only seven characters when you have some creativity.

Edited by NS13Jarhead

Well, "Voss" means "Fox" in old German - so he would actually be "Max Fox" in English.

Sounds at least as efficient as James Bond.

- so he would actually be "Max Fox" in English.

...and would fit nicely on a license plate.

Voss had just returned from leave and was not about to depart on leave 23 Sept. Several books have this wrong.

Ah!! Thank you, JFM. Didn't I say, he looked quite well?

Has anyone here read the book "September Evening" - the life & final combat of Werner Voss by Barry Diggens?

I can recommend it, its a good read.

Heres a picture of Voss with his Mum & Dad on either side of him with other members of his family around.

post-45788-0-80046900-1328688186.jpg

Geeze - so many Voss-alikes! Quite a big family! Thanks for posting, Tony!

:grin:

Hallo, Wels, Du alter Katzenfisch!