Sign in to follow this  
gaw

average fps

wasn't there some crafty app that gave one average fps across an entire mission....or is that already in fraps....can't recall!

Don't know that "app", but to get better frps, I recommend the following:

1. Set "Scenery Detail" (in "Graphics Config") on 2 or even on 1

2. Set "Terrain Detail" on 3 or even on 2

3. Set "Ground object density" on "medium" or even "low".

None of this will make your OFF look bad.

As far as my experience goes, "Clouds" are not so much the problem, but you could try out the difference

between Clouds on "5" and on "3" - just to check that.

Edited by Olham

First time I read this I thought you wanted something that made your game run at one FPS, which seemed a bit odd, then I read it again and it made sense. :grin:

I'm presuming you want something that shows your average FPS over the whole mission.

In Fraps there's an option under FPS called [] MinMaxAvg which presumably would cover what you're after - although I haven't used it myself.

Edited by MikeDixonUK

Ah, you mean, FRAPS can give me the average frps I had during a whole mission?

Never tried that. Must check it.

Well, presumably it shows the average for the whole of the period that the Fraps FPS readout is active, as well as what the lowest and highest FPS was.

Dix.........thanks....that was it.......and Ol...thank you for the slider thoughts

I can't make out what that average box, if ticked, depicts on the game screen???......anybody???? If it is an average than over what period of time is it valid....is the display showing the average in the last 20 secs or 30 min......maybe it's time to read the directions....last choice always!!!

I was just asking me the same - where do I find the record?

I just had a go with it, I think when you set the Benchmark settings to MinMaxAvg under FPS, then when you press the button you have assigned for 'Benchmarking Hotkey' it begins recording the FPS (although the counter goes off the screen) - then when you press the key again it finishes recording it.

Then in your main Fraps directory there's a file called FRAPSLOG.txt inside that it tells you what the FPS were for the recordings, for example in mine it shows (ww2 being the name of the game I recorded the FPS of):

2012-02-08 00:20:55 - ww2

Frames: 2545 - Time: 24883ms - Avg: 102.279 - Min: 59 - Max: 121

And Bob's your uncle.

Edited by MikeDixonUK

I just had a go with it, I think when you set the Benchmark settings to MinMaxAvg under FPS, then when you press the button you have assigned for 'Benchmarking Hotkey' it begins recording the FPS (although the counter goes off the screen) - then when you press the key again it finishes recording it.

Then in your main Fraps directory there's a file called FRAPSLOG.txt inside that it tells you what the FPS were for the recordings, for example in mine it shows (ww2 being the name of the game I recorded the FPS of):

2012-02-08 00:20:55 - ww2

Frames: 2545 - Time: 24883ms - Avg: 102.279 - Min: 59 - Max: 121

And Bob's your uncle.

As per the Fraps help file, when you activate the "Benchmarking Hotkey", it saves Benchmarking statistics between activations of the Benchmarking Hotkey. You also have the option of using the "Stop benchmark automatically" option, which allows you to specify a fixed duration for the benchmark. Once the number of seconds has elapsed the benchmark will automatically stop and the results will be written to disk.

Detailed benchmark statistics can also be saved to disk. These are written in standard CSV files that can be imported directly into a spreadsheet. All files are automatically named/timestamped and saved in the benchmarks subdirectory. Currently there are 3 files written for each benchmark when this option is enabled:

• FPS - Contains the frame rate value for each second of the benchmark
  • frametimes - Contains the time (in milliseconds) of every frame that was rendered in the benchmark
  • minmaxavg - Contains the total frame count, benchmark duration, minimum, maximum, and average frame rate values.

Thanks, BirdDog, that was detailed and clear.