Sign in to follow this  
Dave

New Viper Scheme Under Testing

I love it, very mean looking.

• Like 1

"Mean looking" -captures it spot on!:good:

And it's not one of a kind. There's a pic of an Eglin-based Viper in the current Combat Aircraft with the same scheme.

Ah, gunship grey. The Marines chose a similar scheme for their harriers last year. It hides dirt and wear better.

It may have underlying properties other than hiding dirt and weathering.

Edited by MAKO69

Here is a closer photo of it. Credit to the same photographer as above

0008.jpg

Edited by ST0RM
  • Like 1

Looks like they're getting ready for the F-35. Is that really overall Gunship Gray? I can't tell if the Vertical Fin is lighter, or if it's just shadow. Looks like I've got a scheme for my 1/72 F-16C now! :)

As old as they are, the F-16 looks as futuristic as it did when it first flew (much like the SR-71). While I have never been much of an F-16 fan, the looks of the F-35 make me dread the day when the last Falcon is retired. The F-35 looks like a cheap multi-role fighter that sacrifices performance for cost effectiveness. The F-16 looks like it should fly rings around anything currently flying.

Edited by streakeagle

As old as they are, the F-16 looks as futuristic as it did when it first flew (much like the SR-71). While I have never been much of an F-16 fan, the looks of the F-35 make me dread the day when the last Falcon is retired. The F-35 looks like a cheap multi-role fighter that sacrifices performance for cost effectiveness. The F-16 looks like it should fly rings around anything currently flying.

Well from what JSF_Aggie has told me and talking to the OT&E guys at Eglin they love it. They said this is a game changer. The article on its cap;ability do not do it justice on how good fighter its going to be. My concern though is maintenance though...will it live up to the hype as a truly easy plane to maintain.

Amazing how the ideas about "the definite camo" have been changing ever since the invention of the warplane. Same goes for the scheme that is most visible and stands out the most: nowadays trainers in the RAF and our KLu are painted black all over instead of all sorts of glaring dayglo red, orange yellow etc.

Of course the role of the Viper (maybe a change to more A2G work) is also deciding... At least it keeps the discussion going !!:good:

Edited by Derk

Judging by the sheen, I'd say this is metallic paint meant to help reduce RCS.

I like the new look, looks proweful!

about the JSF, you need to give it a chance and not dismiss the project based on opinions

only time will tell whether it was right or wrong to build the F-35, you can't hold on to 50 years old aircrafts as great as they are

I have confidence in the F-35, looks like a real bad A$ and a worthy inheritor to the F-16s and Harriers

Edited by Nesher

Judging by the sheen, I'd say this is metallic paint meant to help reduce RCS.

My thoughts also

Have Glass. The USAF and a number of export customers had their Vipers given this RCS reduction paint. And the pics posted definitely look like it's HG, IMO.

If you look around in publications like Air Forces Monthly and Combat Aircraft, you will find a few images here and there of Have Glass painted Vipers, and the top paint

fading away. Definitely an interesting result of a blend of shiny and matte grays in a patchwork on the jet. Of course, no two aircraft exhibit the exact same wear, making it even more cool.

These are the first pics I have seen of an F-16 flying around, with only Have Glass. It looks real cool!

A quick entry about Have Glass from Scramble.NL's F-16 entry page...

http://wiki.scramble...lcon#Have_Glass

Edited by Fofo3