Hi all, i am curious as to whether it is possible to alter the way AI behaves when "off the leash"?

If i, for instance, set my B-1b wingmen off to attack a target, they slow down to pedantic speeds (i know that the real B-1b operationally rarely goes over target at less than 480kts) and go to altitudes that invite a SAM up the rear end, as basically they behave like the ideal target - slow speeds, perfect (to shoot down) altitudes, etc etc.

Is there a way to edit (god knows what file!) so that attack speeds and heights etc are more representative of real world ops,

Any pointers, info or guidance greatly received.

Gary. cool.gif

• Like 1

individual data ini can be tailored for specific needs, by adding specific AI sections.

in ObjectData001.cat, you'll find the AircraftAIData.ini. In that, you'll find the parameters for LevelBombAI:

[LevelBombAI]

PullOutRange=500.0

PullOutAlt=300.0

ReleaseAlt=1650.0

SecondPassRange=6000.0

SecondPassAlt=1000.0

ReleaseCount=12

ReleaseInterval=0.14

copy/paste that into the Bone's data ini (anyplace, top, bottom --usually just above the [AircraftData] section--

and edit the parameters, and test.

all distances are meters, and are changed with a simple text edit

• Thanks 1

individual data ini can be tailored for specific needs, by adding specific AI sections.

in ObjectData001.cat, you'll find the AircraftAIData.ini. In that, you'll find the parameters for LevelBombAI:

[LevelBombAI]

PullOutRange=500.0

PullOutAlt=300.0

ReleaseAlt=1650.0

SecondPassRange=6000.0

SecondPassAlt=1000.0

ReleaseCount=12

ReleaseInterval=0.14

copy/paste that into the Bone's data ini (anyplace, top, bottom --usually just above the [AircraftData] section--

and edit the parameters, and test.

all distances are meters, and are changed with a simple text edit

Thank you Wrench, i appreciate that a lot. And thanks for explaining the unit denominations (distance = meters), i did not know what they were - or if it was just a value that was specific to the sim, and no relation to something real world (if that makes sense!!).

Are speeds in knots?

• Thanks 1

I think so, but not really sure. All distance/height/length/weight, etc is metric

Thank you for your time, Wrench. drinks.gif

Edited by garyscott

I'm really hoping bomber AI gets improved in SF2:NA now that Backfires are included.

FC

here, HERE!!!!

is there a way to modify the idiot AI doing nothing but circles left and circles right?its fking annoying when these primary target keeps making loopdy loops without losing any speed like they got nitrous....

On 2/11/2012 at 2:20 PM, garyscott said:

Hi all, i am curious as to whether it is possible to alter the way AI behaves when "off the leash"?

If i, for instance, set my B-1b wingmen off to attack a target, they slow down to pedantic speeds (i know that the real B-1b operationally rarely goes over target at less than 480kts) and go to altitudes that invite a SAM up the rear end, as basically they behave like the ideal target - slow speeds, perfect (to shoot down) altitudes, etc etc.

Is there a way to edit (god knows what file!) so that attack speeds and heights etc are more representative of real world ops,

Any pointers, info or guidance greatly received.

Gary. cool.gif

I was wondering if you had success with modifying the AI Behavior in regards to the B-1B? Would you mind sharing what you modified and the information you used, would love to modify it myself but am nervous.

don't fly bombers ... ordering your wingmates to do anything causes the game to crash. Expecially ordering them to attack something.

there is no fix

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wrench said:

don't fly bombers ... ordering your wingmates to do anything causes the game to crash. Expecially ordering them to attack something.

there is no fix

you know, i always wondered what happens if you change it from bomber to attack?

it acts even dumber. don't work with the heavies. OTH, mediums seem to do (a qualified) OK. Again it depends on the usage. B-25s in the pacific work ok, as do they in the med. since we don't have a readily available a-20, I can't test.

but the attack profiles, even with custom AI statements in the data ini, are very different for heavies than for mediums (strictly ww2 speaking). 

the modern (1950 and later) just don't work a advertised. since they all lack (stock mind you) any sensors or scanners (look at the stock data inis for things like the Beagle or Canberra, or Startofart, or the russki heavies. the AI routines take care of it pretty well. Should be left that way (as is stated in numerous heavy bomber mod read me's). 

after all, the game is called Strike FIGHTERS after all. Leave the bombers under AI control, or suffer disappointments.

(wish we had a 'preaching from the mountain' emoji!!! <gr>)

• Like 1

gotcha. i work BUFFs and Bones anyhow, usually single ship esp when carrying ACME Instant Sunshine.  like i said tho, i did wonder

28 minutes ago, Wrench said:

(wish we had a 'preaching from the mountain' emoji!!! <gr>)

:lol:

15 hours ago, Wrench said:

there is no fix

I've been thinking if a specific line of ordering attack is add to a command list or other file will enable this procedure. 

fill it full of lo-yeild nukes. can't go wrong!!! 

Yes the AI wingman is stupid; I usually RTB him. Wingmen are ok with A-A, but useless A-G. My F/A-18A wingman doesn't know how to use mavericks, so if you give him a Shilka to attack, he strafes it, misses and then tells you "He's firing". What a surprise!

The other annoyance with ground attack is that when you approach the target, Hangar for instance, it is locked as a target. This means you can't order your wingman to attack the SAM site next to it, because you can't break the lock on the Hangar. And this means that you can't take out the SAM site either.  Only when you've hit the Principle target can you cycle other targets.

You're always better with a four-ship mission. At least you can tell 3 and 4 to Attack Air or Attack Ground, and number 3 will use his own initiative, whilst number 4 acts like a typical wingman and expends no ordnance.

I seem to recollect in WOV1 that you could cycle other targets as you approached the principle target. On the way to destroy a hangar, I used to be able to target an AA vehicle for the wingman, target one for myself, and tell 3 and 4 to hit ground targets. I'd launch, switch to bombs and watch as missiles from all four aircraft took out the AA ahead of me and gave me a clear run to the Hangar. A proud thing to see.

Course we were using cheaty bullpups then.

alexis99,

My problem with telling my AI B-1B wingman to RTB is they seem to crash each and every time when flying over Afghanistan. Due to this, I always try to ensure I'm just a single ship flight so I'm not penalized for the AI inability to keep the plane airborne.

• Like 1

That's why I don't fly with AI wingmen, they're just a hassle to manage and you eventually complete the mission yourself anyways. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, alexis99 said:

The other annoyance with ground attack is that when you approach the target, Hangar for instance, it is locked as a target. This means you can't order your wingman to attack the SAM site next to it, because you can't break the lock on the Hangar. And this means that you can't take out the SAM site either.  Only when you've hit the Principle target can you cycle other targets.

Of course, you can, I for instance usually order wingmen to attack surroundings while I am placing ordnance on target.

You're always better with a four-ship mission. At least you can tell 3 and 4 to Attack Air or Attack Ground, and number 3 will use his own initiative, whilst number 4 acts like a typical wingman and expends no ordnance.

This is not always true. Because many times 2/3/4 expended loads way faster than me.

My F/A-18A wingman doesn't know how to use mavericks, so if you give him a Shilka to attack, he strafes it, misses and then tells you "He's firing". What a surprise!

Something is wrong with your data.ini perhaps  Usually after executing the order I give the wingman 'rejoin' then another target ..etc. But in some a/c i give wingman 2-3 times targets and he can launch 2-3 Mavericks in one run. 

• Thanks 1

I've NEVER had a problem cycling through other targets. From 1stGens to now, that's always been possible.

what I have seen, that is utterly fucking stupid, is giving wingmate the "attack ***", they dump their loads immeadeatly. Not even close to the target. Usually only seen on STRIKE, oddly auntie-ship and CAS/Armed Recon seem ok

Most important thing to remember people, is between the 2012 and 2013 patches, TK fucked over a lot of the AI routines, because a bunch of whiney cunts were complaind about some of the NA missions having too smart defenses (sea and air). So he dumbed shit down for them (this was all covered on the now closed and missing 3W forums)

The game is what it is. Once you accept the given limitations, you can move on

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yakarov79 said:

Something is wrong with your data.ini perhaps  Usually after executing the order I give the wingman 'rejoin' then another target ..etc. But in some a/c i give wingman 2-3 times targets and he can launch 2-3 Mavericks in one run. 

I'll second that, as when I did use a wingman I would give him Mavericks as I know he would hit with those instead of bombs, in which he'd miss or whatever when executing an attack run