tasked with well behind the line strikes in an A-10 is a massacre if you don't stay really low. My wingmen are getting into all kinds of trouble because they won't join me NOE. I assume if it could be done, I'ld have heard about it, but figure I'll ask anyhow. Didn't see anything helpful in AIRCRAFTAIDATA.INI either.

tasked with well behind the line strikes in an A-10 is a massacre if you don't stay really low. My wingmen are getting into all kinds of trouble because they won't join me NOE. I assume if it could be done, I'ld have heard about it, but figure I'll ask anyhow. Didn't see anything helpful in AIRCRAFTAIDATA.INI either.

Not at all my thing, but I'd have thought that fiddling with these parameters would help:

[AIData]

TakeOffRotationAngle=10.0

[RocketAttackAI]

RollInRange=7500.0

RollInAlt=1300.0

PullOutRange=1500.0

PullOutAlt=200.0

ReleaseRange=3000.0

SecondPassRange=6000.0

SecondPassAlt=1050.0

ReleaseCount=16

ReleaseInterval=0.095

AimPitchOffset=-3.3

[strafeAI]

RollInRange=4500.0

RollInAlt=1100.0

PullOutRange=1400.0

PullOutAlt=175.0

ReleaseRange=2000.0

SecondPassRange=4000.0

SecondPassAlt=1000.0

ReleaseInterval=1.5

AimPitchOffset=-0.9

From the A-10 data.ini.

in 1stGens, there was this thing called the MissionControl.ini, that had the altitude statements; and you could edit them.

I've looked through all the usual suspect cats, and I think it just dosen't exist in SF2 anymore.

which is too bad, as it had this statement:

[Altitude]

Normal=3000

Low=500

VeryLow=100

High=5000

VeryHigh=8000

If anyone finds it, let me know!!

edit: oh, dopye me!! It's n the MissionData001.cat, and it reads exactly as above. It's still editable ... extract, drop in /Flight folder. Drop VeryLow= to maybe 50??

all numbers are meters AGL

Edited by Wrench

Set VeryLow=50, tested it out, but they still pull up at about 200m. Something about their terrain avoidance. Though, I see them comfortably get way lower than 200m in a strafing run. Hmmm...

i remenber some were something about safe altitude for the sereval AI mode Easy normal Hard etc.

i remenber some were something about safe altitude for the sereval AI mode Easy normal Hard etc.

Tried that, but I think those parameters are only used during dogfights.

For SF-2 the AI data has been separated from the AIRCRAFTOBJECT.ini so there is now a separate AIRCRAFTAIDATA.INI. You can modify the game on a global basis by editing the AIRCRAFTAIDATA.INI and placing it in the OBJECTS folder. TO improve formation behavior at low altitude you can edit the Safe Altitude as per this example:

[DogfightNovice]

SafeAltitude=60//500 To get the AI to fly lower when in low level formation

LookoutAngle=90

DefensiveAngle=60

ChanceDefensiveTurn=0

ChanceBreakTurn=10

ChanceHardTurn=50

ChanceTurnDirection=25

ChanceContinue=100

ChanceCheckNewTarget=5

ChanceUseVertical=0

FightWithoutAmmo=0

CannonFireAngle=2.5

RQIRMFireAngle=5.0

ASIRMFireAngle=10.0

RHMFireAngle=5.0

MaxPitchInput=0.6..........................Watch this number, you may want to increase it to avoid AI crashes

MissileDetectChance=10

MaxCannonRange=3500

OptimalCannonRange=1000

MinCannonRange=500

MaxRollForGunAttack=45

CannonBurstLengthShort=1.0

CannonBurstLengthLong=1.5

MaxRudderForGunAttack=0.5

MaxRudderForManeuver=0.7

[DogfightGreen]

SafeAltitude=60//400

LookoutAngle=120

DefensiveAngle=90

ChanceDefensiveTurn=0

ChanceBreakTurn=40

ChanceHardTurn=100

ChanceTurnDirection=50

ChanceContinue=100

ChanceCheckNewTarget=10

ChanceUseVertical=0

FightWithoutAmmo=0

CannonFireAngle=2.0

RQIRMFireAngle=7.0

ASIRMFireAngle=7.0

RHMFireAngle=10.0

MaxPitchInput=0.8

MissileDetectChance=40

MaxCannonRange=3000

OptimalCannonRange=800

MinCannonRange=250

MaxRollForGunAttack=60

CannonBurstLengthShort=1.0

CannonBurstLengthLong=1.5

MaxRudderForGunAttack=0.8

MaxRudderForManeuver=0.9

Here is the AIRCRAFTAIDATA.ini with some tweaks for low level. It is one I have been messing with and is by no means optimal:AIRCRAFTAIDATA.rar Just drop it into the OBJECTS folder.

Something to keep in mind during low level formation, the AI will try and stay with you so will take evasive action when you do. This can lead to AI crashes if you get too carried away. More crashes are probably inevitable, however.

Edited by baffmeister

Wrench, The MISSIONCONTROL.INI can be used to adjust the altitudes the game will assign for various missions, but for low level stuff the AIRCRAFTAIDATA.INI should be adjusted as well, to reduce accidents. It is interesting to adjust the mission altitudes though, I have an old jets install that's set up for High/Low/High missions giving lots of MiG-15, Sabre, Hunter engagements at 30,000+Ft. :good: [The engagements end up at lower levels quite quickly, just like RL.]

Edited by baffmeister

@baffmeister: Where is the AIDATA.INI located?

I extracted it from ObjectData001 in SF-2. And I should have called it AIRCRAFTAIDATA.INI [corrected now.] :oops:

Edited by baffmeister

Tried that, but I think those parameters are only used during dogfights.

Whoops. that didn't work because I put it in the Flight folder instead of the Objects folder. Now it works!