Sign in to follow this  

Hi all,

I'm trying to learn a bit about campaign files organization and would like to know what assigns unit id numbers to units and where the list is kept in/for a campaign file.

For instance, I have a downloaded campaign. The campaign.ini file lists several units with a unit id number. I see a corresponding unit in the campaigndata.ini file.

But I can't find what assigns the unit id number or where it's kept. Can I change the unit id number? Is so, where?

Thanks,

Geary

In the campaign.ini you find the UnitID=?. In the campaigndata.ini you will find the

[AirUnit00?]at the top of each squadron. The UnitID number should be the same as the AirUnit number.

You can change the numbers,but I believe that you have to keep the[AirUnit00?]numbers in numerical order as you go down the page of the campaigndata.ini.

AirUnit001,AirUnit002,.......AirUnit069 with no gaps in numbering or you will have trouble loading the campaign.

ezlead,

I would have thought the same thing you explained, but... I downloaded an older campaign that only half worked. It had been added to a former campaign.

The unit id's in the campaign.ini didn't match up with the AirUnit numbers in the campaigndata.ini. So, I changed the unit id number in one of the campaign.ini entries repeatedly and started the campaign for that unit until I matched each unit id to a an AirUnit number.

So what you tell me and I'd thought to be true, isn't for this campaign. Hence, my question.

Thanks for the answer. Gives me more to look into. Any idea if there's a campaign writing tutorial out there any where?

Geary

Hi Geary,

Note that Friendly and Enemy air units are treated as separate lists for the purposes of the campaign.ini file.

Some of the stock campaign_data.ini files mix up red and blue air units in the airunitxxx order, so, when calling out friendly flyable air units from the campaign.ini file, you need to count only friendly air units when working out the UnitID=xx nnumber in the campaign.ini file.

Likewise, when calling out enemy air units as flyable from the campaign.ini file, if you select UnitID=001 for your first soviet flyable squadron, you will get the first soviet airunit listed in the campaign_data.ini file, even if in the campaign_data.ini file it is listed as AirUnit035 or whatever.

I hope that makes sense. It just means that the UnitID= callout in the campaign.ini file will not always match the Airunitxxx number in the campaign_data.ini file.

Go figure!

Edited by Baltika

Baltika,

Thanks, I understand the gist of your explanation and as I muddle through dissecting campaigns I'll probably come to understand it better.

Geary