I've just mad my hotmail account hacked.

So much for Hotmails security.

I've changed my password, but what difference will that make? The first one didn't exactly stop them.

If they hacked my password but didn't change the password, then I struggle to see the point. Just A holes? Or should I be worried?

I've had a number of accounts compromised, including my hotmail, Ebay and Paypal accounts.

Change your password and your security questions and make sure your backup email if you have one hasn't been changed. Are you sure you didn't try to login or input your hotmail info into an unsecure website? It seems really rare that you'd actually get 'hacked'.

In my case my ebay and hotmail accounts were stolen by a chinese fellow who then proceeded to change my hotmail options to chinese language he didn't change the password, but once I found out it had been compromised I couldn't do much about it until I found the option to change my language back to english lol, he also tried selling a bunch of fake watches on my ebay but support was able to cancel all of those and save me some trouble. All is well, this thing happens, all you can do is change your info and move on dude.

No, somebody was sending spam to my address book which to all intents and purpose looked like it came from me. There were 12 emails sent, perhaps more deleted from the 'sent' folder, and all 12 were copied to half a dozen addresses. Somebody was in to my hotmail account.

First odd sign I noticed was 'postmaster delivery failures' to a couple of really old addresses, and a couple of emails from mates who rumbled their emails hadn't come from me and checked.

I've clusterbombed my complete address book with warning to treat my address as suspect, and an apology, but short of abandoning the email address, not much more I can do.

All very unpleasant. That was a 10 digit password with numbers and letters that got hacked. ________rs! (insert a swear word of your choice).

It doesn't take hacking your hotmail password to send email via your account... It is just as likely a worm/virus on your pc used your mail while you were using it with the rights your pc granted to you. You need to check your computer for worms/viruses with software other than what you normally run for security (as it would have to be compromised for this to even happen).

Alternatively, you have had a keylogger program on a PC you used when you last typed your password yourself.

A lot of ways for this to happen that don't involve Microsoft being compromised in any way.

Edited by streakeagle

Streakeagle is right, I wish this was talked about more on TV programs too as the general mass of Web users are years behind in understanding. One AV program is not enough these days. You should install Spybot, run malwarebytes, maybe get a trojan detector like RegRun, UnHackme, or Trojan Remover too - as many as you can cope with to check your system several ways, especially when things like this happen. There are root kit viruses too (great that Windows allows programs that run in hidden streams erk...). Also get a decent firewall that prompts you more than the MS bult in one.

There are plenty of free AV killers, malware scanners, and online scanners by reputable companies (always research well before using one that you come across).

An advice for AV programs with firewalls: check every year, which program is the best right now - that varies.

This year, KASPERSKY is top range, but that may change again next year.

Very important: update your AV program for the latest virus signatures - best is at least three times a day.

I have AVG 2012 full paid up version which updates itself daily. I've also just put Spybot on too on your guys advice (and thank you for that advice too).

My attacked PC has Win 7, but this one is XP. Spybot found loads to fix on this PC, but only 2 things to fix on Win 7 one, but nothing was flagged up as a high risk threat on either PC. Ive used both online, so maybe it was this one with the problem.

If it is a worm or something in my PC, I've a horrible suspicion it's still in here. Wouldn't there be more bangs and whistles if either Spybot or AVG picked up something nasty? Neither did. AVG says both are clear, and Spybots problems were all low threat registry things.

PLEASE use Malwarebytes too FlyPC...it's currently the best malware remover out there

PLEASE use Malwarebytes too FlyPC...it's currently the best malware remover out there

:good:+1

Thanks all. That's AVG, Spybot, Trojan Remover and Malwarebytes all protecting my PC's now. Yeayyyy! What a TEAM! There's a distinct smell of dettol in the air and if anything nasty is still living in my PC it must be wearing a gas mask. :ok:

My how times change. I remember days when installing one anti virus over another was a certain way to blooter your PC good and proper.

I'm in your debt gents. Thank you.

EDIT- Just a word to watch out for anybody following my path, beware the Spybot link you follow. Spybot is Free. Spybot Spyware doctor is a trial version of something which ISN'T Spybot. It may be great, it may be lousy, but I don't like the way it calls itself Spybot.

Edited by Flyby PC

It's lousy..and in fact, should be treated as spyware itself!

lol funny thing I just had my windows live account compromised yesterday, someone took my XBL account and used it's payment info to buy MS points on their own console LOL!