Sign in to follow this  
Olham

Wow, those R.E.8 knew how to defend themselves

I have just returned from a 50 minute Lone Wolf patrol, on which I caught a lonesome BE2c low.

Almost back at La Selve, I was just passing the lakes near Marchais airfield, when I spotted Flak,

and then 3 R.E.8 bombers. They were pretty low, and I approached them.

They came even lower, and then I saw them dropping their bombs on an army camp. They were

now below 1000 feet. One fell behind, and I crept up below him. I was in the gunner's dead angle,

and slowly but surely worked my way up.

Now I saw the other two bombers veering off to the left and to the right.

I thought, they were going to attack the target again, while my feller seemed a bit hampered.

I got higher and higher, until I suddenly saw tracer fingers close above my wings!

From the left side, one of the R.E.8 had approached me, and the gunner took me under fire!

I dived steeply, and pulling up, fired into my prey. I really hit the engine, but in the next moment,

my Albatros D.III received several hits from the two bombers left and right, and I had to quit.

I saw, that my victim was slowly going down, but I also had an engine failure, and put my kite

down beside a road; next to a column of German tanks.

I was very impressed by this attack - I can't remember any similar so determined counter-

attack by any two-seaters before! OFF still surprises me!

Yuppers, new things continue to reveal themselves in their own unexpected ways, even after all this time flying in the OFF skies. The mark of a truly great sim, IMHO.

Lou, I had actually thought for a moment or two, that the devs had found a way to update my OFF, while I was sleeping!

Yes, Schnaps - they seem to have that with them everywhere. :grin:

I hear if you add a little schnapps in your fuel it will help warm up a cold running engine. :cool:

Edited by Crossbones

Hi Olham,

2- seaters are my most difficult targets.

Unless I'm lucky enough to pip the rear gunner at longish range I invariably get shot to pieces.

If I'm out of formation and come across them mob-handed I leave well alone now - lesson learnt, fingers burnt too many times.

Just closing on them in a Camel is no easy thing.

German 2-seaters that is, don't know abt Entente types.

Cheers

• Like 1

The most dangerous Entente two-seater is the Bristol F2b Fighter, because it can be flown like a fighter - all over the place!

Very dangerous to attack - they may well turn the blade and attack you.

The next dangerous one is the R.E.8 .

Those guys know how to work together and defend each other.

These two will kill my engine almost every time. I dare to attack them only, because I am over own terrain.

Strutter two-seats and Fees I attack from below their tailplane. They are easier prey.

The easiest is of course the BE2c without any rear gun.

I tried Quirks and FEs a couple of times - ye gods !

I think, Olham, that the DH4, if it is to be in OFF2, will be as difficult to engage as the BF.

Whatever they'll throw at me - I bet it will cost the Kaiser another 100 Mercedes Benz engines! :grin:

I hate attacking two seaters. It's horrible work and invariably - like Olham - my engine gets nailed.

Even attacking in a Brisfit is bad news, because your main fire power is behind you.

I'd much, much rather take on DVIIs and Dr1s than bloody two seaters.

Did I ever tell you about the time I downed a Roland in a BE2c? And didn't get my engine shot to f***? S'true, but only the once, mind...

Edited by themightysrc

Mighty, let the other hotspurs go for them, while you provide "high cover".

And when you're lucky, some fighters will appear, so you don't end up with nothing.

Mercedes Benz are very happy and offered me a contract even, cause I need a new engine

once a week, at least. The Kaiser, I heard, is not so amused about that...

Well, is a humourless man, I guess.

Edited by Olham

Olham - make sure you have the spares contract for the Douai area. You'll retire a millionaire...

Yeah, that's how some industrial barons made their fortunes. On either side.

Whatever they'll throw at me - I bet it will cost the Kaiser another 100 Mercedes Benz engines! :grin:

See, Olham,

if you stuck with rotaries you can get a couple of cylinders blown off with no worries, those in-line jobbies are a false economy.

And what an odd creature a rotary powered Albatross would be.

Tch! Rotaries are phase-out models. In WW2 you'll find that the inlines are the most successful engines.

A mix of the Albatros' beauty and the Pfalz D.IIIa's sturdyness would be my perfect fighter.