Once you have learnt how to shoot at an opponent, you won't need the Aldis sight.

I would find it rather limiting my overall sight, to look through that tube.

Why doesn't the SE5a have an aldis sight? Or at least the viper se5.

I would guess that, as the aldis sight was a sort of gunsight where the 'crosshair' is focused to infinity, in the same way as a reflector gunsight in for example a WW2 Spitfire (at least I think that's how it works - might be wrong though) - which means that no matter what angle you are looking through the gunsight (within reason) the crosshair part is always pointing at where the bullets go.

Where as in CFS3 the gunsights are just painted textures I think, ie there's no focus to infinity etc (it's the same in Battle of Britain 2, which is a shame - makes it harder to aim if you use TrackIR 6DOF) which means you have to be looking directly at it for it to be lined up properly - so I would imagine judging from that, that it's an engine limitation that means it isn't possible to make that sort of gunsight work.

The SE5a in Phase 3 has an aldis sight though, but I think it just has a 3d model of the crosshair hovering inside the 'tube' - so you also have to look directly down it, the viper has a standard two prong ironsight.

Edited by MikeDixonUK

Yes I can see that it doesn't have quite correctly modeled Aldis sights, but I don't mind that. However it's historically inaccurate because Aldis sights were standard issue to all SE5's.

Royal_Aircraft_Factory_SE5a.jpg

SE5a_flightline.jpg

foster.jpg

I've never seen a photo of an armed SE5 without an aldis sight.

I have; some pilots swore by them, some swore at them and took them off. If you look at enough photos, you will see both.

Cheers,

shredward

That may be but never the less it was standard so I think it should be on the in game model. If you don't like it then you can lean over and use the ring sight on the gun. I don't like the bead and ring sight that we've got on there though, it looks really out of place and dinky to me.

Actually it is fitted to the most common SE5a in Phase 3. It is not fitted to the Viper in P3, because we chose to do that - as Ted says it was sometimes removed and as it mostly gets in the way, and we have two types Viper, and Se5a we chose to have it not on one then it also helps give a different experience apart from bigger engine.

It doesn't work as well as real one so not as useful and gets in the way instead but still fun enough to have on one of the variants.

In P4 it's improved a little and also only on the SE5a (then those that don't like it can fly Viper or earlier SE5).

I'm not saying you can't have or use a gunsight, of course, but if you fly close enough to your quarry where his wingtips touch the left and right edges of your SE5a's windscreen, you won't need any sight. IMO (for what that's worth) snipers need sights; WW1 pilots need to be close.

Seriously? It's not about sniping or not sniping it's about historical accuracy, SE5's were all outfitted standard with an Aldis, period.

• Dislike 1

Well, Albert Ball didn't seem to like it.

• Like 1

The ARE fitted to the standard SE5a as I explained. Only the Viper doesn't have it, and I think I explained why. As Shred who is our historical expert explained they were sometimes removed, so this one has it removed. In OFF we not only like to have factory craft but sometimes reflect what was actually used by some pilots as that's what we are trying to simulate. Also it gives other people who prefer NOT to have it the chance to fly without, just like you would like to fly with.

Fly the SE5a as that's what most people would have been doing and you will have an Aldis.

Ok we'll there is nothing more I can say on it anyway.

You edited your post which brings up a question, if you want to simulate "field mods" basically, why not have multiple versions of the aircraft so the player can choose? SE5a viper w/aldis, SE5a viper w/o-aldis etc.

• Dislike 1

Because there is currently no facility to chose craft (other than by squad in campaign - QC it's different of course). At some point we could mix some squads up and add more variety but you'd still have to know which squad to pick etc

I edited field mods because that isn't something we are "specifically" doing across all craft, and not exactly what I wanted to say , that's why we edit ;) It's just a taste and to add some variety to the SE5a of what was actually there or going on. As I said, you CAN choose to fly an SE5a with Aldis, or a Viper without.

We will never cover all things and please all, but we hope to give everyone something and built a immersive WW1 sim to give everyone a taste, I'll look at it again sometime but right now have to crack on so I'm out..

We will never cover all things and please all, but we hope to give everyone something and built a immersive WW1 sim to give everyone a taste.

In any event, for a truly immersive WWI experience, the pilots doing the actual flying simply must have something to b***h and grouse about. 'Just wouldn't do to have the higher echelons be too responsive.

Hi all,

Camel could have an aldis also. Check out one of the in game movies - Camel taking off, aldis clearly visible.

Not that I'm asking for aldis equiped Camels, sights are fine thanks.

Doesn't look like wartime Snipes had the aldis either although I have seen photos of post war Snipes with them.

Think some Dolphins had them also.

I wonder if it was the SEs peculiar mg arrangement that lead to adopting the aldis ?

I wonder if it was the SEs peculiar mg arrangement that lead to adopting the aldis ?

I'm thinking that it was Fred Aldis' generous "donation" to the Ministry of Defense.:grin:

redpiano, I'm well aware of what is historically accurate and what is not, thank you. My previous post was perhaps a bit too non sequitor, and for that I apologize for the distraction.

OK guys a polite close here, this has been thrashed some.