Sign in to follow this  
Creaghorn

Which GTX 580 3072mb?

it's about time for an upgrade and replace the old gtx 260, which is currently the bottleneck of my system.

i have a

QuadCore Intel Core i7 930, 2933 MHz (22 x 133)

Asus P6X58D Premium (2 PCI, 1 PCI-E x1, 3 PCI-E x16, 6 DDR3 DIMM, Audio, Dual Gigabit LAN, IEEE-1394)

6135 MB (DDR3-1333 DDR3 SDRAM)

750w power supply

big tower HAF 932 Advanced

there are several gtx 580 versions out there, but the prices vary a lot. from about 400 to about 750€. different manufacturers, different specs of which i don't have too much knowledge.

so question for the experts (e.g. parky and von paulus). which gtx 580 to take, and therefore having enough muscles for the next couple years? probably best with 3072mb, and maybe already overclocked, since i'm no clockingdude and rather would like to avoid clocking around.

which one is the best at the moment (i don't mean 590 or double 580 etc.) performancewise and moneywise? from saving some time for the upgrade and some subventionale birthday present i would say the budged would go to about 750€.

i would appreciate any good suggestions.

cheers

creaghorn

Well Creaghorn, you are WAAAAAY out of my league Sir. That's more than I paid for my entire system. :yikes:

I am sure the high tech gurus here will be able to steer you in the proper direction.

that shall be the last major upgrade for the next couple decades, so i will rather grab the chance as long as i have one . after that, if i ever mention to my wive something regarding an upgrade, she will run me out of the house with a pumpgun :grin:

To be fair a gtx 580 is one hell of a card but with pci3-3.0 on the horizon this year I wouldnt pump my money into one. I would hang back and see what the upcoming next generation of nvidia gpu's have to offer. However if you are desperate Ati's 7 series gpu's as skatezilla has stated are serious pieces of kit and are proving to have excellent performance better than a gtx 580 and are already pcie 3.0. This is just my two cents of coarse if you really want one go ahead. Asus, Zotac, Gainward and EVGA offer excellent versions of the card as far as I am aware.

AMD 7950 outperforms the 580s, uses less power and is cheaper.

AMD blows goats, they have graphic issues with every thing on the market unless you get a specific patch just for AMD cards. Skip it and get an Nvidia card. They are THE industry standard.

it's about time for an upgrade and replace the old gtx 260, which is currently the bottleneck of my system.

i have a

QuadCore Intel Core i7 930, 2933 MHz (22 x 133)

Asus P6X58D Premium (2 PCI, 1 PCI-E x1, 3 PCI-E x16, 6 DDR3 DIMM, Audio, Dual Gigabit LAN, IEEE-1394)

6135 MB (DDR3-1333 DDR3 SDRAM)

750w power supply

big tower HAF 932 Advanced

there are several gtx 580 versions out there, but the prices vary a lot. from about 400 to about 750€. different manufacturers, different specs of which i don't have too much knowledge.

so question for the experts (e.g. parky and von paulus). which gtx 580 to take, and therefore having enough muscles for the next couple years? probably best with 3072mb, and maybe already overclocked, since i'm no clockingdude and rather would like to avoid clocking around.

which one is the best at the moment (i don't mean 590 or double 580 etc.) performancewise and moneywise? from saving some time for the upgrade and some subventionale birthday present i would say the budged would go to about 750€.

i would appreciate any good suggestions.

cheers

creaghorn

EVGA gtx 580 classified or the classified ultra they are unbelievably awesome... factory overclocked as well- link

Edited by Icarus999

Creaghorn, spending 750 € on a top notch graphic card is - sorry, Sir - sheer madness, when you mostly fly OFF.

OFF is not so demanding on that sector. A fast CPU (which you have) and good memory (which you also have)

are important. And even if you play other games, you can have excellent results for less than 200,- Euro.

Here is a comparing site by the gamer magazine PC-GAMES, section "PC-Harware" - perhaps you look through that.

I also have a link to the GTX 560, which seems to be a very good card, which you can get for ca. 180,- Euro.

Anything more would be sheer overkill IMHO.

http://www.pcgamesha...afikkarte/Test/

http://www.pcgamesha...afikkarte/Test/

Hier ist das Fazit des Tests der GTX 560 TI (wenn Du nicht alles durchlesen willst) - Stand Anfang 2011:

Geforce GTX 560 Ti im Test: FazitFür einen von Nvidia vorgesehenen Verkaufspreis von 239 Euro macht die Geforce GTX 560 Ti

nichts wirklich falsch, aber dafür viel richtig: Die Leistungsaufnahme bewegt sich im Leerlauf auf einem sehr geringem Niveau,

das Übertaktungspotenzial ist hoch und die Lautheit unter Last ist mit nur 1,1 Sone aus 50 Zentimetern exzellent für eine derart

flotte Karte - kein anderer Pixelbeschleuniger dieser Klasse erreicht im Referenzdesign eine solche Laufruhe.

In unseren Benchmarks sortiert sich die Geforce GTX 560 Ti im Mittel zwischen der Radeon HD 6870 und der Radeon HD 6950

mit 2 GiByte ein (selbst wenn Tessellation im Spiel ist und auch mit Q-Filterung seit dem Catalyst 11.1a).

Erst GTX-560-OC-Versionen der Nvidia-Partner werden zur HD 6950 aufschließen können - die ersten 900-MHz-Karten von Palit

und Gainward sind bereits im PCGH-Testlabor eingetroffen.

Folgerichtig sieht AMD die bald startende Radeon HD 6950 mit 1 GiByte für rund 230 Euro UVP sowie stark übertaktete Karten

des Typs HD 6870 als Gegner vor. Das Referenzdesign der Radeon HD 6950/2G allerdings ist unter Last klar lauter (2,6 Sone),

auch hinkt sie hinsichtlich des ausgereiften Feature-Sets (u.a. GPU-Physx vs. Bullet, 3D-Vision vs. HD3D) und der Bildqualität

(u.a. HQ-AF, SSAA in allen APIs) der Geforce GTX 560 Ti hinterher. Die Fermi-Karte kann allerdings maximal zwei Bildschirme

parallel ansteuern (Radeon: drei oder mehr), beherrscht SGSSAA nur inoffiziell und ohne automatische Textur-LOD-Anpassung.

Die Radeon-Riege bietet Supersampling-AA offiziell (nur unter DX9) im Treiber an, justiert das LOD auf einen perfekten Wert und

garniert dieses Schmankerl mit einer hohen Ausführungsgeschwindigkeit - mit aktivem SGSSAA ist selbst die HD 6870 meist

schneller als Nvidias GTX 560 Ti. Eyefinity außen vor, bietet jedoch die Geforce GTX 560 Ti das derzeit beste Komplettpaket am

Markt.

Der im Text erwähnte Preis von 235,- Euro ist inzwischen heruntergegangen - einfach mal AMAZON durchsuchen.

Edited by Olham

@olham

i appreciate your help and suggestion. but i want to upgrade it significantly and keep it for the next couple years that way. if i upgrade it just a "little bit", then i will be in one or two years at the same stage as now. same way as i did with the gtx 260 while there have been gtx 295 etc. on the market. it's ok, it's cool, but after a year or two you see the limits very well. also, since my gpu is my bottleneck, i would like to upgrade it. it's of course not only for OFF, it's also for a ton of other things too, not necessarily just for games etc.

how about that one?

http://www.kmcomputer.de/item/0/0/0/115538/index.html

maybe better to wait couple more months? maybe the prices will drop anyway.

... maybe better to wait couple more months? maybe the prices will drop anyway.

That's the point - you could always wait for them to get cheaper, but then again they won't be the actual top notch card.

Or: you buy a card from a year ago. That's the same thing like waitng for it to get cheaper - but you have one immediately.

This card did cost 235,- € a year ago, and if you get it for 180,- € now, you saved 55,- €.

And if you buy the next card in 2 years time, which is now 300,- €; you may get it for 180,- € again.

That's 360,- spent, instead of 750,- €; and I can assure you, you will have superb gaming results that way, and save

a lot of money.

But if you don't know what else to do with it... :grin:

In the course of trying to settle my "Cliffs of Dover" woes, my computer-tech guy reccomended the card he's currently using, the EVGA. GTX 560. So confident was he that this would be satisfactory, that he has offered to buy it from me if I'm not happy. With a recomendation like that, what could I do?

Just my 2 cents: The idea of Picking up last years Card has a lot of Recommendations: Power supply, CPU, money saved, Cooling fans .

Edited by carrick58

In the course of trying to settle my "Cliffs of Dover" woes, my computer-tech guy reccomended the card he's currently using, the EVGA. GTX 560. So confident was he that this would be satisfactory, that he has offered to buy it from me if I'm not happy. With a recomendation like that, what could I do?

Let me know if a new card saved from the woes of CoD

Let me know if a new card saved from the woes of CoD

Will do.

A few months ago, I had a 6970 and replaced it with the MSI 580GTX 1.5 overclocked. Also, I replaced my i5 760 with the i5 2500K.

A comparison with these changes in OFF

5-5-2-2-5 for the 6970, i5 760 to get 60FPS

5-5-4-3-5 for the 580GTX, i5 2500K to get 60FPS

The game looked about the same, but stuttered like crazy when trying to render landscapes with the 6970.

Also, I played skyrim with both cards with about a 15FPS difference between the cards and same stuttering issue.

I feel that I got my money's worth since I now enjoy my games with a bit better eye candy.

EDIT: Rest of my system

Before i5 760 @ 3.4, 12gb RAM, 1 TB SATA, 6970 ATI

Now i5 2500K @ 4.5, 16gb RAM, 250GB SSD, 580GTX factory overclocked

Edited by Buddy1998

@olham

i appreciate your help and suggestion. but i want to upgrade it significantly and keep it for the next couple years that way. if i upgrade it just a "little bit", then i will be in one or two years at the same stage as now. same way as i did with the gtx 260 while there have been gtx 295 etc. on the market. it's ok, it's cool, but after a year or two you see the limits very well. also, since my gpu is my bottleneck, i would like to upgrade it. it's of course not only for OFF, it's also for a ton of other things too, not necessarily just for games etc.

how about that one?

http://www.kmcompute...5538/index.html

maybe better to wait couple more months? maybe the prices will drop anyway.

I can't tell you what to buy sir, but I bought the EVGA Superclocked GTX580 when it came out and I've never regretted it. It's not given me any troubles and it certainly seems to have some muscle behind it.

Hellshade

Thanks

A small update here: The GTX 560 card arrived on Wednesday. My computer guy tried to install it on Thursday, but we're having the Devil's own time trying to get the drivers to install. NVidia's drivers on the disc, plus downloads from their site, always fail. This problem, combined with some other minor, but squirrely, things going on with my machine, may call for a fresh Windows install. Stay tuned.