Sign in to follow this  
CW3SF

Run time error 76 ?

I am playing OFF with HITR patched up to 1.47and have been having very few issues until a few days ago.

This small box with " Run time error 76 Path not found " comes up and no matter what is clicked on it crashes to the desk top.

Most times a restart of OFF goes just fine " all is good for the rest of the time flying".

Just a short while ago the game crashed on Three succesive tries.

What can be done about this???

I would like somw input here!!!!

Like my game CTD !!

When does it come up, what exactly do you click on to get it ?

Firstly you need to think what could have changed recently, did you install/uninstall any programs?

Is your drive out of free space ?

I would like somw input here!!!!

Like my game CTD !!

Bad form - this issue has to be unique to your install - reinstall - dont rant.

Or better still contact OBD SUPPORT on the support e-mail channel - just quote your order number - and you will be helped quickly.

WM

CW3SF, shouting with 4 exclamation marks - after just 1 hour wait? A bit unpatient, eyh?

Or was that combined with a touch of humour, which was unaudiable for us?

Without trying to interfere with the devs advice, I can say that I had occasional errors in OFF,

and they have mostly been solved by performing one, or even both steps of this:

1. "Reset OFF Manager" in "Workshops"

and if that didn't help

2. "Reset CFS3" in "Workshops"

These steps helped me, so I didn't have to make a de- and re-install.

But you must know: you will lose your campaign pilots that way - it's back to square 1.

Edited by Olham

Never had it, myself, and never saw it mentioned in another thread. It must be local or unique like Winder said.

I would suggest what Olham said or if it doesn't work to uninstall and reinstall the game.

And by the way not all of us live in the US time zone.

Edited by Von Paulus

First off ( not OFF-- punt not intended ) I am sorry to have lost my cool.

But then, at my age -not a lot of time or cool left in the tank.

I went to work with your ideas and will let you know about the outcome ASAP.

Thanks

CW3SF,

Did you find a solution? I started having the same problem right after installing the 1.47 patch. Before then, OFF/HITR was working fine for me except for a failure to populate airfield message that didn't affect the game at all. Then after the patch, I couldn't fly two missions in a row. Instead, after clicking on "Go to Briefing" for the second mission, I would get the run time error and crash. I would restart OFF, fly a mission with no problem, and then the problem started on the second mission. Now for the first time, I've had a mission fail to load, so my plane is sitting on the runway, but I have not control over it. I exit the mission, but the campaign fails to advance. I start the mission again, and I get a run time error again. I exit OFF, restart, and the process begins again (fails to load, plane on runway, exit, restart mission, runtime error, crash, repeat). Because my download of HITR was very recent, I'm wondering if I needed the 1.47 patch or did I mess things up by downloading it. Thoughts?

As far as I understand, you must install OFF and HitR and ALL the patches in one go,

BEFORE you fly the first mission.

You should follow the installation guide on the OFF website exactly.

And yes, you still need the 1.47 patch.

See "Installation & Graphics" here - it may be a bit long, but make sure to read it all - it helps:

http://overflandersfields.com/FAQ.htm

Edited by Olham

Thanks, Olham. Looks like I have some uninstalling/reinstalling to do. In case others are curious, I tried resetting workshop to default. It erased my pilots as others mentioned it would, and it fixed the run time/mission-failed-to-load problem for 3 missions in campaign mode. Unfortunately, on my fourth mission, the same problems reappeared. I didn't patch OFF before adding HITR w/ patches so maybe that is the cause of my problem.

That is definitely the problem, beagle.

When the stuff was released, the devs had pointed out repeatedly, that the install- and patching order had to be followed strictly.

You will learn from this, and you'll see how fine everything will work then.

The button "Reset OFF Manager" can (in an okay install) cure several known manager problems.

The "Reset CFS3" button seems to do more fundamental CFS3 things (never needed that one).

But, as you said: you will loose your pilots; at least with the first button.

beagle, I don't seem to have you in our "OFF Pilots Maps" yet?

If you send me a PM with your town and country, I'll add you there.

Edited by Olham

Thanks again, Olham. I admit the mad scientist in me pondered "What would happen if I simply re-installed without doing a complete uninstall of OFF/HITR?" Amazingly, many missions, and pilots later, there appears to be no problems. I simply installed the H&H patches, then reinstalled HITR, and then the HITR patches. And amazingly, no problems. And all previous problems were fixed. I believe I did delete all pilots and restarted a new campaign with a new pilot just to be safe. However, I'm a tinkerer by nature, so I don't recommend my way as the standard/safe way.

Well, the 'tinkering' is no problem, beagle.

But lines like "bug" or even only "so-and-so error" might cast a negative light on a game or a sim for passers-by.

I would always suggest to seek for advice and help by using a bit more subtle words - it will always be given.

You'll see: this is a sworn-in, fine community here.

And now I'll add you to the maps - I've seen you sent a PM.

Edited by Olham

Olham,

I don't mean to quibble, but I think CW3SF and I both used the terms we did so we could get an accurate response and solution. When you go to the doctor, simply telling him that you are "less than well" won't really help him diagnose the problem. Instead, if you have a fever, then you tell the doctor that you have a fever. Same thing here. The computer error was very specific "Run time error 76" so that is what we told everyone was the problem because we were looking for quick and effective help. And if anyone else has a similiar problem, he can search the net using the same terms (like I did), and find the answer (like I did i.e. error was likely due to my failure to patch BH&H before downloading HITR, so "run time error 76" is probably an operator error and not the game's fault). As someone who as abandoned many games when I couldn't easily find a fix for the bugs, I think being very specific in describing the problems actually will help find solutions which, in turn, will help further gamer retention. Again, not trying to quibble. Just thought I should explain.

It's just that when OFF BHaH was ready and patched (way back in 2009), we had lots of similar

posts in the old forum. In the end it always turned out the same - it was never an error or mistake

in OFF, but always the users not following the correct install and patching order as noted clearly

in the OFF website.