CaptSopwith

This Sim Never Gets Old

I just had to say, late on this Monday night, that OFF is one of those classic flight simulations that never, ever wears off (pardon the pun!).

I've been up since 5:45 this morning. Today I sat through an 8am lecture as a TA, held office hours, attended a three hour seminar class this evening, and held a study session for my students for two hours until 9PM tonight. I've been home for a few hours and I'm utterly knackered. All I want right now is sleep.

And yet... OFF is still so incredibly enjoyable that I cannot help but feel that excitement in my stomach at the prospect of firing it up for just... one... mission. I took up Wilhelm Roth (Gerhard's older brother) in his Fokker EIII for another patrol. It was a beautiful, sunny morning and while we didn't encounter anything, I enjoyed every second of it. From starting OFF and hearing the distinctive music, to clicking through the menu system, to hearing Pol shout "Contact!... Clear!" and then jumping into the sim. I just feel happy playing this wonderful game from the moment I start the program until I exit out of it with a twinge of sadness.

Most games are a distraction. They are meant to pull our attention away from reality for a few hours and they usually do it with over the top sights and sounds. OFF just makes me very happy to play each and every time. I always finish an OFF mission (even the bad ones) feeling like I've done something meaningful with my time.

And speaking of time, it's almost 1AM now. I need to be up in 6 hours but I still couldn't pass up the chance to say, yet again, what a great game we have. And how lucky are we that we get to enjoy this sim and talk about our adventures together here? I think we're a pretty blessed lot.

Cheers my friends! Goodnight. drinks.gif

Edited by _CaptSopwith

it's just wow..nice to see so many compliments about an aviation game here :)

never played OFF though, maybe i'll also try him one day.. one day.. :drinks:

Could you PLEEEEEZE avoid posting such titles- this might give the devs the feeling,

they could carry on developing P4 until next Christmas!!!

:grin:

Great post, Cpt. Well put indeed. I usually get that 'one more...just one more mission' syndrome happening when I've a paper due or some other submission deadline near. Nil carborundom illegitimo I always say (or some facsimile thereof) :grin:

A great sim indeed. And, unfortunately, woefully under appreciated!

Course I am a bit of a OFF geek anyway.

Wonder what kind of looks I would get at the gym if I had "OFF" tattooed on my buttocks?

A great sim indeed. And, unfortunately, woefully under appreciated!

Course I am a bit of a OFF geek anyway.

Wonder what kind of looks I would get at the gym if I had "OFF" tattooed on my buttocks?

Perhaps "Contact! ...Clear!" would be more appropriate?

Edited by NS13Jarhead

Could you PLEEEEEZE avoid posting such titles- this might give the devs the feeling,

they could carry on developing P4 until next Christmas!!!

:grin:

Oh, we can, we can !!!:tease:

Well Olham, that emoticon really amused the person sitting next to me ... and I've never seen it before. Where did you get it from?

Haha, yeah - now who's the person sitting next to you?!

It's among the list. If you see the Emoticons at the right, click on "Show all" at the bottom and see them through.