Sign in to follow this  
33LIMA

Strange problem - German cross stuck in the wrong era

For no apparent reason, the German planes in my modded FE2 install all seem to be changed to and stuck with the early pattern of Greek (broad, rectangular-armed) crosses, as used from about April 1918. Nothing I can do gets the proper, Maltese (Iron) crosses back (the ones used up till then). Even Alb DIIIs in a Bloody April campaign have them (which is when I first noticed it, flying Nieuport 17s against V-strutters that all suddenly had the later cross).

Can't find whatever it is that applies the correct national markings; it can't be the aircraft files as I did nothing to these yet the markings somehow changed and got stuck . I mostly play 1917-era campaigns so this is a bit of a nuisance. This has never happened before with the same modded install. A second, near-stock install does not have this problem; the correct, Maltese/iron cross is displayed. Don't recall doing anything that could have caused this. The only think I could think is that for some reason I flew an SE5 quick combat mission with a date set of June 1918 but even that is after the change to the final style of German cross (thin-arm Greek).

I have looked at the options.ini., flown a mission with the date set back to mid-1917, deleted all pilots and started with a new one and a new Cambrai 1917 campaign same result - stuck with the eealy Greek cross. Any ideas, guys?

Edited by 33LIMA

It looks as a Nations.ini problem. Have you a custom one? If so, delete it and problem solved.....O much better, go to the downloads section and install this: WWI Alternative Medals Pack for FE -July 2010 update - by Capitaine Vengeur ,and this: Belgian Medal Pack - by Hermann the Hun, following carefully the instructions. Maybe you'll need both downloads very soon :wink:

Medals - now that may well be my problem!

I installed a custom medals pack for FE1 recently, not one of the one's you are recommending, Ojcar - had to change the .bmps to jpgs and I'm still not sure the new medals are showing...but it never occurred to me that the medals pack could have caused this!

I'll try deleting the Nations.ini that came with that medal pack and see if that does the trick. There is one - and I'm sure you are right. that will be the cause! Then I will cautiously try installing these other medal packs.

I have just realised that my FE (1) install is also having the same problem, and I had installed the same medal pack in that, too! It's not in my second FE2 install, however, that is ok. so the medal pack will be the cuplrit, I am now sure!

Thank you for the advice! :drinks:

PS I am off to Torremolinos on Saturday for a week so I hope things are nice and sunny in Espana!

The Capitaine Vengeur medals pack is much better than the old one. It has included the RNAS as separated country, new nameslist and more realistic ranks for some countries, new music for the game (the Blue Max theme, Wov!), etc. The Hermann the Hun one is compatible with the Vengeur one.

Last week it was a lot of cold here. -7ºC some days near my workplace. This week is much better, but I'm in Madrid. Torremolinos is hotter, still not summer, but if you came from Ireland I think you'll notice the difference! Be happy with the hot girls in the seaside!

Edited by ojcar

The Capitaine Vengeur medals pack is much better than the old one. It has included the RNAS as separated country, new nameslist and more realistic ranks for some countries, new music for the game (the Blue Max theme, Wov!), etc. The Hermann the Hun one is compatible with the Vengeur one.

Last week it was a lot of cold here. -7ºC some days near my workplace. This week is much better, but I'm in Madrid. Torremolinos is hotter, still not summer, but if you came from Ireland I think you'll notice the difference! Be happy with the hot girls in the seaside!

Well that did the trick - deleted Nations.ini and crosses are back to normal for both modded FE2 and FE1. Thanks for the solution! Will now try out those different medal packs. Then the hot girls in the seaside!