Finally got around to doing some work on the GUI re-design and thought I would post my progress here for some feedback before I move on from the mainscreen (still some tweaking to do) and start work on the other screens.

MainScreen.jpg

Captures the look and feel of board game box cover art -- which is excellent :) For example:

gdwairsuperiority.jpggdwdesertfalcons.jpggdwairstrike.jpg

coaspeedofheat.jpgmbscreamingeagles.jpgahflightleader.jpg

Edited by streakeagle

Thanks for the comments.

I never knew there were boardgames like those. I guess those existed before flight sims.

Thanks for the comments.

I never knew there were boardgames like those. I guess those existed before flight sims.

There are lots more than just those. People did like simulating air combat before PCs made it look pretty and run in real time. I used to own nearly every board game and set of miniatures rules ever released. When I moved last year, I didn't want to bother storing them or hassle with an ebay sale, so I threw them all away except the latest one: Birds of Prey. The 3d physics are so good in this one that it acts like a low resolution PC flight sim. Of course 6 seconds of game time (1 turn) takes 5 or 10 minutes to play out, but the simplicity and accuracy made all of those other games utterly obsolete!

Your GUI main screen is so similar to what I used to see on store shelves that it gives me a warm feeling like I used to get when I spotted a new game on at the book store where I bought most of my games, Merlin's Books. Sadly, it is not a new game, just window dressing for one I already have. But it is truly a work of art easily as good or better than the box covers of all the other boxed games I ever had. Thanks for the hard work ;)

Good old memories : I had all 4 Air-Sup /TSOH games and addons, and spent a lot of hour playing them.

My taste for SFP2 acutally comes from this game !!!

Good old memories : I had all 4 Air-Sup /TSOH games and addons, and spent a lot of hour playing them.

My taste for SFP2 acutally comes from this game !!!

It seems we have so much in common.

TK was an avid Air Superiority fan. I had all the newsletters put out by J.D. Webster and friends which included user content from fans. Among the contributors to new aircraft data cards was TK :)

It seems an unusually strong interest in a less than popular subject brings us "niche" guys together... especially with the advent of the internet where we can easily find each other. Of course, a much less politically correct name for our "niche" interest might be nerdiest of computer nerds: flight sim geeks.

I am sad to see the decline and almost total disappearance of the tabletop wargaming community. But to be fair, I am never sad about the fact that my 1981 Corvette replaced the horse and carriage. PC flight sims are better for me overall, but even online multiplayer cannot fully replace the fun to be had playing games face-to-face by hand moving markers or miniatures over a map or model terrain... although I must say, all the Operation Flashpoint LAN parties I used to have before getting married and having a kid were about equal since everyone was playing side by side or across from each other in the same room. Much better than online multiplayer.

The memories that a simple image intended to be the menu screen of a lite pc flight sim can evoke... Again, thank you for the effort :salute:

It seems we have so much in common.

TK was an avid Air Superiority fan. I had all the newsletters put out by J.D. Webster and friends which included user content from fans. Among the contributors to new aircraft data cards was TK :)

It seems an unusually strong interest in a less than popular subject brings us "niche" guys together... especially with the advent of the internet where we can easily find each other. Of course, a much less politically correct name for our "niche" interest might be nerdiest of computer nerds: flight sim geeks.

I am sad to see the decline and almost total disappearance of the tabletop wargaming community. But to be fair, I am never sad about the fact that my 1981 Corvette replaced the horse and carriage. PC flight sims are better for me overall, but even online multiplayer cannot fully replace the fun to be had playing games face-to-face by hand moving markers or miniatures over a map or model terrain... although I must say, all the Operation Flashpoint LAN parties I used to have before getting married and having a kid were about equal since everyone was playing side by side or across from each other in the same room. Much better than online multiplayer.

The memories that a simple image intended to be the menu screen of a lite pc flight sim can evoke... Again, thank you for the effort :salute:

At first I wasn't sure this direction would go over too well within the SFers community (and I'm still not sure, I was hoping for a little more feedback). This is the actually the third direction of this project (the first 2 were more simple variations on the above, mixed with a more traditional "darker" feel to what already exists). After much research and reading about GUI design I was somewhat inspired by NATOPS manuals and 50s to 70's aviation books and drawings. I wanted to update the look so I decided to go all out and make something very different which I'm hoping I can achieve (it's a big project and I am working it so it can be easily transferable for future TK projects like NA.

Unfortunately, I never knew these games even exited until you posted the cover art which I really like. They are now a part of my Aviation reference folder which grows daily as I delve further into this endeavour.

I suppose board games of this nature have been around for a long time. I came across this tidbit from one of my favourite places to visit when I'm in Gatineau, Quebec.

Be an Airman

My Uncle has a summer home 20 mins. from here! They restore and maintain many WW2 birds and a Hawk One a Canadair Sabre!

If you are up in these parts I suggest you check it out.

Vintage Wings of Canada

lovely mainscreen Hellman :good:

Hellman that is awesome you have got to make an SF2/SF2V and SF2E for that.

Hellman that is awesome you have got to make an SF2/SF2V and SF2E for that.

Most likely NA when it surfaces and perhaps the others. I trying to build it so it will convert to the other titles with a minimum workload.