Olham

A Panorama of Chateau Cappy and a Bicycle Ride

Just went to the Chateau at Cappy, where MvR resided during his last days of life (via Google StreetView).

I couldn't resist and made a kind of (almost full) panorama. The meadow at the right is supposed to have

been the airfield of Jasta 5 (according to the booklet "In the Footsteps of the Red Baron").

I am still thinking of making a bicycle trip of 14 days around Flanders and the Picardie, to visit some of the

sites of historical aerodromes, like Cappy, Bertangles, Vert Galland, Roucourt, Boistrancourt etc.

• Like 1

Here's one I took on one of my journeys back to the Front.

Cheers,

shredward

post-32273-0-34722000-1329926920.jpg

Here's one I took on one of my journeys back to the Front.

Cheers,

shredward

Wasn't this one of Jasta 11's billets and the one where the photo was taken where they are all sitting on the front step? Early summer of 1917 I believe?

And Olham - you are my OFF hero for all the historical tidbits you post here!

Thanks, Shredder!

Thank you, Duke - the Jastas (maybe the RFC officers too) often resided in the local Chateaus

(the French seem to have hundreds of them - no wonder they found it too much one day and made a revolution :grin:).

Jasta 11 did not fly from Cappy before 12 April 1918; the Chateau you mean could have been either at Roucourt,

or that near Marcke.

Jasta 11 did not fly from Cappy before 12 April 1918; the Chateau you mean could have been either at Roucourt,

or that near Marcke.

Ach...you are correct.

That building though seems to be a clone of the other (the one I am referring too) unless I am totally at sea here.

Many of these Chateaus seem to be from the same era, Duke, and so they have quite similar styles.

Here is the Chateau Roucourt:

...and this is the Chateau de Bethune, Marckebeeke:

The "flyboys" knew how to live and die with great style, it seems.

Edited by Olham

Yes. I was going off the step design where they were all sitting.

Someday I am going to get a hard drive and save all the period photos and documents I come across.

I have so many of my own chateaus I get confused...or was that a lot of outhouses?

Some more Yank idiom for you there Olham.

I have so many of my own chateaus I get confused...or was that a lot of outhouses?

Some more Yank idiom for you there Olham.

??? ??? Please explain - I don't know this one!

Alright...that may have been a bit nebulous and a stretch.

The word (or "idiom") is the word "outhouse". I figured that was Yank as apple pie.

Well, I found the saying: "He is built like a brick outhouse". And I know what "outhouse" means. :grin:

Actually the prefix for house is normally four letters, rather than three

Cheers

Shredward