Sign in to follow this  
baffmeister

Individual Terrain Tile Placement

Somewhere out there is a really good explanation for placing individual terrain tiles. I think it may have been written a long time ago but it was so good I actually remembered a lot of it so was able to finally place an individual tile with the terrain editor. I don't see the explanation in the knowledge base but it should be in there! Anyway, it was probably written by Wrench so "Thanks Wrench!" for that and all your other terrain editor comments. I think a lot of your comments could be compiled into a downloadable "Wrench's Terrain Editor Tips" document. The amount of patience you have explaining terrain editor stuff is "Above and Beyond". :drinks:

you mean the trick with painting the borders on the transition tiles, or just in general?

and, did yo still need advice/help in placing a tile??

to all: You're Very Welcome.

Remember, at some point in the future, I may not be doing terrains or whatever. It's always good forethought to train replacements....

The thread I recall reading described in great detail the operation of the tool bar as it pertains to placing a tile. Before reading that thread, I had absolutely no idea what the tool bar was even used for! Making terrains is coming close to being my Waterloo moment but then, just in time, a modest success keeps me going. So thanks to Wrench, Gepard, and anyone else who can describe the intricate and weird operation of the terrain editor. :good:

Quote Wrench: and, did yo still need advice/help in placing a tile?? Nope! Remembered the lesson.

Edited by baffmeister

I just did a quick review of the terrain editor sticky as well as all the terrain editor lessons and noticed lots of references to manual tiling or hand tiling but not one explanation describing how to actually do it!

For anyone wondering, here is a brief description [not the one I remember] of the TE tool bar function explained by Dueces:

Lexx_Luthor, on Jun 9 2005, 11:05 PM, said:

The small square tool buttons on upper left of TE -- are those specific functions not covered in the drop down menus?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yea they are.

The pencil tool will place a single tile on the map(whichever is displayed in the drop down window).

The rotate tool will rotate any tile clicked by 90deg CW.

The eyedropper tool when selected and clicked on a tile in the map will display that tile type in the drop down.

The bucket will fill with the tile type shown in the drop down. Be extremely careful with this tool. It can fill areas you had not intended to fill. I find the best way to use this tool is to outline the area I want to fill with the tile type, make sure there are no gaps, then fill inside.

Lastly the drop down shows all tiles you have built in your texturelist.

It would seem learning the terrain editor is a requirement for some people. I want to fly simple multi-role aircraft over a fictional terrain with some eye candy and do real time missions in about one hour. You want to fly at stratospheric heights on long range strategic bombing missions and do real time missions in about one day. Maybe two days with a B-36! :good: