Valmet Kotka - HävLLv 31, Ilmavoimat, 1982

For many years Finland had cast envious eyes at Sweden's ability to produce indigenous weapons systems that were comparable to anything produced anywhere and, in particular, Sweden's ability to produce combat aircraft that met their unique defensive requirements. Indeed, they were so impressed with the Draken's ability to take off from a short section of 'motorväg', make an automatic all-weather interception at Mach 2 and then vanish back into the Swedish landscape that they eagerly negotiated with the Swedish government to not only purchase the Draken but to also licence-produce it using Valmet (their state-owned heavy industry company).

Valmet had already cut their teeth with licence-production of the Fouga Magister and the indigenously designed aircraft Vihuri and Vinka training aircraft and during the early 1970's the Valmet drawing office were sketching out a proposed Draken replacement clearly influenced by the contemporary Saab Viggen but generally scaled-down to fit a single afterburning Rolls-Royce Spey turbofan. Given the project name of Kotka 80, by early 1973 the design was showing sufficient promise for Valmet to be given a contract order for 60 single-seat Kotka (Eagle) multi-role fighters and 12 Kotka two-seat trainers with a planned in-service date of 1980. Design and development moved smoothly and the Kotka entered service in 1981 when Hävittäjälentolaivue 31 (Fighter Squadron 31) converted from the MiG-21.

ILMAVOIMATCONVAIR20101.jpg

ILMAVOIMATCONVAIR20102.jpg

ILMAVOIMATCONVAIR20103.jpg

ILMAVOIMATCONVAIR20104.jpg

ILMAVOIMATCONVAIR20105.jpg

BTW Ignore the 'CV' serials which are simply a hangover from it being based on the Convair 201.

Nice, that's quite an interesting camo scheme you got there!

Once again, I'm in awe! The plane bears a great resemblance to the Gripen actually, so it would surely have been taken into deep consideration when choosing a new interceptor for Finnish air force had it been real excisting airframe. The Camo is just pure Art. I wish that someone had the time and could make the Finnish skins for Hawk, both the two tone green and the newer gray, but I just have to wish. You do keep on the high quality producing those what if´s! :salute:

Keep it up , Sir! :salute:

Edited by boulder

Really cool bird. :good:

But if i remember right the word "Kotka" means "cat" in some eastern european languages.

But if i remember right the word "Kotka" means "cat" in some eastern european languages.

Mmmm. A few Finns have reviewed it and not adversely commented on it (perhaps they're too polite).

Mmmm. A few Finns have reviewed it and not adversely commented on it (perhaps they're too polite).

Kotka means eagle in finnish. :ok:

кошка (strange s thingy) however, means cat in russian as far as i know.

Really cool bird. :good:

Actually, "Kotka" means "female cat" in polish grin.gif

Kotka means eagle in finnish. :ok:

Thanks for the reassurance that I got it right!