ONETINSOLDIER

game port no longer supported?

for some unexplained reason when I try to install any of my joysticks using the game port on my soundblaster live, it tellsme that my game port drivers are not configured correctly. When I try to update drivers, it tells me it cant install them and all the info I can find online says that "game ports are no longer supported". Im not sure if a windows update or something changed things on my end or what, but what does microsoft expect owners of genuine microsoft joysticks to do? Im running xp, sp3, soundblaster live soundcard, using either a sidewinder 3d pro, thrustmaster platinum or a logitech wingman digital joystick, none will work. Im using a modded xbox gamepad or now, BUT ITS NOT A JOYSTICK! Anyone else have this problem/solution?

Please help me as flight withdrawals are terrible to deal with.

Unfortunately, the gameport was declared obsolete long ago. You can forget getting them to work in Vista or 7. With XP, you should be able to still use it, I used my TM FLCS/TQS/RCS combo until I got my Cougar in 2007 I think. That was because that year I got rid of my old SB card w/gameport and switched to a card without. Trying to use the mobo's gameport was an exercise in frustration (horrible spiking and other connection issues) so I went USB.

Frankly, in 2012 you really have little choice. There are gameport-USB adapters out there, but getting them to work is tricky. Generally they work for simple sticks, but a HOTAS like my old TM combo was insta-fail. The only add-in gameport I know that ever really worked were the SB cards, but Creative stopped supporting those old cards years ago now. Other than that, you might be forced to get a USB stick of some type.

but the thing is, they worked not long ago, ive made no changes so why did they just stop working (the joysticks)

Could be windows update related - you could try uninstalling some recent updates from the time it started happening - or something could generally just be screwed in Windows causing the problem.

Unfortunately rollbacks don't always work. I've had better than 50/50 luck with them, but still there are those times when it fails.