Sign in to follow this  
Fates

Unmanned A-10's

Cannot keep that plane down... problem is getting an A-10 anywhere in 30mins all that Armours there to stop birds flying into it from behind...

P.S. I like A-10's... :minigun:

Yes, an interesting read. But, IMO, its an outdated theory. The A-10 is great at CAS because it can carry an impressive weapons load and can loiter for longer durations than an F-16 with a smaller load. But converting to a drone would take away it's one trump card. The gun. CAS is more than dropping JDAMs and LGBs. If you rewrite the mission to only include that weapon employment plan, you might as well save the money and stick with the current Predator and Reaper since they are already doing that very thing. Saturate the air with those and you don't need a $30Mil QA-10 that, oh by the way, still needs a tanker and other expensive support.

I just dont think our remote piloting programs are up to the challenge of engaging ground targets with all of what the A-10 brings to the fight.

-S

I was having this discussion with a friend of mine who's a Hawg driver (maybe I'll steer him over here some day). Here's my response:

For what it's worth, here's an outsider's view (ie mine): The A-10 was built with one goal, provide excellent CAS, and with two principles in mind; fit gun into the plane, and bring the pilot home. Having said that, I don't see a need to protect a computer with that much armor, who's weight could be traded for fuel capacity - maybe. Though by the time they redesigned it, they could of bought a new design and fielded it.

IMHO there's only one problem with the A-10 - it's no longer in production!!! It's perfectly good the way it is, the production should be kept up! Nothing else the USAF fields or is planning to field can replace it... Pilots are safe in it and their ability to churn out 30-milimeter hurtin' where it's needed is economical and effective!