crl848

Wot TK thinging with this iPad business?

Now I was a shocked as anyone to hear that EXP2 lost money because of the mission editor and feature creep. But now TK keeps dropping hints that he will move to other platforms, i.e. iPad and build in less complexity. This strikes me as a mistake, and not just cause I'm a PC gamer. I'm happy to game on other platforms, but the game must be appropriate.

Fact is, flight simming on the iPad is crap. The only good one is the Shuttle sim, where all you have to do is glide and land. X Plane is pretty bad, and COMBAT in X Plane is rubbish. It's impossible to get situational awareness in a fight with one view that you can't move easily, and hitting the fire button is a chore when you have to find it on the screen and not press something else by mistake.

Also, I get the feeling that TK misjudges his market when he talks like this. I don't fly SF because I like easy, light and fluffy "games". I fly it because I like aircraft from the 1960s and 1970s. I also like the fact that some of the more boring controls are simplified (e.g. turning on the engine), 'cause I like dogfighting and moving mud, and especially moving between aircraft easily. On the other hand I want the important things to feel real: the FM, cockpit, etc. Extrapolating from my views (dangerous I know), I'm willing to bet that many or most SF flyers are similar. I reckon that people who want simple flying games prefer shiny new aircraft and are well catered for by HAWX etc.

Sometimes I think that TK just says these things to wind people up or ratched down expectations for new products. Why does he produce so many versions of the F-4 and Hunter cockpits, for example, when basically one would suffice in a "light and fluggy game"? I'm hoping that at heart he remains committed to the PC and his unique niche in the sim marketplace. But some of his recent pronouncements are worrying.

BTW I considered posting on the TW boards but decided I'd rather avoid the politics and see what the most committed user base of SF products thinks over here.

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

Well, it might be that TK is dropping us these hints so that it won't come as a surprise IF the abandonment of PC platorm eventually happens. But, imho, whether it DOES happen or not, largely depends on how well his near future projects (SF2:NA, EXP3) will sell. So fingers crossed, tell your brother, granma, friends all about SF2:NA, spread the word, etc. etc.

I would preorder the game if I could.....

P.S. I hope I'll never have to see Strike Fighters: Angry Birds Edition :lol:

Edited by SFP1Ace

Angry Strike Fighters could be fun... Different plane types, each with specific loadout and abilities. Fire an F-105, click it mid-air and hope that the released salvo of iron bombs falls near target. Fire an F-15 and watch it zoom across the screen for a turn or two, blocking enemy attacks. Fire an A-10 and mark targets to be taken out by AGM and GAU... :grin: That'll need active opposition with MiGs and several background arts i.e. theatres.

I don't think TK specifically mentioned iPad but the relevant quote was;

I'm not too a big fan of tablets either, but whether we like it or not, its going to be the way of the future. Windows 8 is schedule to come out this year with the touchscreen interface, and the mouse is going the way of doo-doos, if not now, soon. Their capability is still a bit limited compared to desktop PC, so the game market there is almost like the 80/90's desktop game market where great games could be developed with a very small team. It probably won't be this way for too long, the computing power of tablets and even smartphones are fast approaching that of desktop, so we figured its better to be in it now than later.

My first reaction: Don't panic. It's not going to happen today, tomorow, next week, next month or next year.

My second reaction: I'm probably typing and posting this using the last PC I'll ever buy. The same applies at work. My current PC at work will not be getting replaced.

My third and over-riding reaction: It's HIS business. He knows his game, his market and the macro market better than anyone posting here. The timing of his switch requires good judgement so I wish him well.

For the record, I don't like tablets either!

BTW, who says that Windows 8 will be such a big hit? It can as well go the way of Windows Millennium or Vista, lol.

I'm with Spinners here, no need to panic guys, it would take some 3-5 years to switch at TW pace I guess, and personally I have no idea how tablets will perform and play at that time

His marketing plan is not the best, take 1C as an example, they worked together with the comunity and you should not sell everything as a DLC! A good mission editor should be part of the Core game! Makes more sense for me!

I'm pretty sure it will be part of NA! Otherwise making it would make no sense at all

same with action camera

If ME is in 2NA, TK won't be able to sell many ME as DLC.

he already stated it was a selling failure, right?

I can imagine the uproar if the NA is released without ME, remember, from my point of view Tomcat title is being made to attract new customers not us old-timers

My first reaction: Don't panic. It's not going to happen today, tomorow, next week, next month or next year.

My second reaction: I'm probably typing and posting this using the last PC I'll ever buy. The same applies at work. My current PC at work will not be getting replaced.

My third and over-riding reaction: It's HIS business. He knows his game, his market and the macro market better than anyone posting here. The timing of his switch requires good judgement so I wish him well.

For the record, I don't like tablets either!

What ever you buy after the current PC - will still essentially be a PC - just one that you cant easily upgrade or replace parts when they go wrong - (similar to modern cars)

Mac = PC, iPad = Tablet PC, iPhone = pocket PC - all works pretty much the same way - all use derivatives and modified versions of the same old Operating systems (Unix / Minix, DOS, Windows NT).

Generally people will buy whats suits their needs - I have a company iPhone - useful at work for basic remote testing, taking photos of faults etc - all the things a PC cant do - but can be tedious then for the real work I sit down at a PC which runs all the things the iPhone / iPad cant on a nice big screen.

In the future the device that suits my needs best is what I will buy - I could for example buy a single powerful PC with Windows 10 - and run any other OS that ever existed in VMs - and have the power to run any program or game in the VMs.

And working remotely In the future - with more powerful smartphone PCs could again allow me to put multiple Operating systems on them so I can use iOS/Windows 10 or Android depending on the programs I wish to have.

Edited by MigBuster

MigBuster - I think you know what I meant! PC as in tower, keyboard, monitor!

and mice!

I don't so much like the "goinch touch" direction in general but If the tech progress could gives me SF_X I can fly on my phone or tablet (big IF I ever decide to buy one) then I'm fine :grin:

and mice!

+1

It just feels good to have something small (sic!) and warm underneath yer palm . :lol:

After reading the above - I need to get a bigger mouse!

MigBuster - I think you know what I meant! PC as in tower, keyboard, monitor!

The popular perception of a PC / Mac is currently a tower / desktop base with some pheripherals. My point is though all you are replacing is the computing architecture - whatever you buy in the next 5 years will still need a display and input devices - whatever suits your needs.

If its historical flight sims - you will still have a joystick and rudder pedals, a head tracking device and a suitable display device.

If you need accurate input and a steady hand then a mouse will still be required.

For text input a physical keyboard will still be there - its quicker than anything else out there and you can feel the keys and where you are on the keyboard without looking down (and so superior to a virtual KB)- speech will never replace it on the fact that you dont want anyone to know what your are typing - handwriting recognition is a joke for the same reason I dont hand write letters anymore - far to slow and too much effort.

100 years time - predict a device that just reads your mind and inputs that :)

Edited by MigBuster

It just feels good to have something small (sic!) and warm underneath yer palm . :lol:

never been a fan of big t**ts :lol:

never been a fan of big t**ts :lol:

I AM!!!!

I AM!!!!

And me. My wife is like two zeppelins at a photofinish...

People have been predicting the death of the PC for a decade, and it hasn't happened yet.

And it won't happen. However commonplace it is for people to play games on consoles, tablets or smartphones. It is Impossible to develop a product on them. A PC, mouse and keyboard will always be around. Typing on a touch screen will never be as intuitive as a keyboard, and nothing as accurate as a mouse.

3D Studio, Maya, Photoshop, Illustrator and every other development tool used for games and graphic design simply will not work on a tablet/phone or console. The power, memory, storage space, and maybe most importantly, battery life just isn't there. Nevermind trying to imagine using photshop or max on a tablet would be an exercise in failure.

And since they'll always be required for development, they'll always be around for us who want to play games on them.

• Like 1

Gents, you won't have time to play with t**ts once SF2:NA is out! :grin:

EDIT: so true, eraser_tr! Even Alan Wake finally made it to the PC, and the devs are quite happy with how well it's selling. Being priced at 20 euros definately helps it, though.

EDIT2: PC will never die as a gaming platform, imo, it will evolve. In this decade digital distribution will likely supersede boxed retail. So we'll end up with steam, origin etc. being the new gamestores. I'll miss the boxes, but man, how much shelf space will it save? :grin:

Edited by SFP1Ace

And me. My wife is like two zeppelins at a photofinish...

Quote of the day right there! Gotta love British jubblies

I don't think he ever said he was working on a flight sim for the tablet PCs. It might be something else entirely. In another post he mentioned that he once wanted to make an XCOM-type game.

Now I was a shocked as anyone to hear that EXP2 lost money because of the mission editor and feature creep. But now TK keeps dropping hints that he will move to other platforms.

EXP2 lost money because it and all of the patches that attempted to fix it had problems. Also I that release that was the first to incorporate environmental system hard-coding. Alot of people chose to wait on the sidelines for the issues to be fixed... and eventually lost interest.

I don't think he ever said he was working on a flight sim for the tablet PCs. It might be something else entirely...

LOL Perhaps he'll make one of those 'Zoo Tycoon' type games giving hotshots the opportunity to run their own small flight sim company and decide whether to spend on advertising, use a distributer, introduce MP, sell premium DLC's, give 'taster' titles for free, etc. etc.

Also I that release that was the first to incorporate environmental system hard-coding. Alot of people chose to wait on the sidelines for the issues to be fixed...

False, I'm on December 2010 with Exp2 now and everything is still as used to, clouds base heigh including