Sign in to follow this  
rjw

Question re: Pilot Dossier text files

I have two questions related to the "PilotDossier.txt" files in OFF.

1) does anyone have a description map for each line entry in the file.

2) does anyone know why the following would happen:

When I change the assigned aircraft from

Halb_DII_QC1

Spare

Halberstadt DII

to

AlbDIII_QC1

Spare

Albatros DIII

The file reverts back to the Halb when OFF starts. It would appear the entries are being over written and I would like to know why and how.

If anyone is familiar with the operation of these files any help with this would be appreciated.

Best Regards

My guess would be that that particular squadron does not possess the Alb DIII_early at that date in the war--at least as defined by the squadron roster which I believe is a hidden game file and not accessible to the player. Also remember that in P3, your flight cannot have a mix of different aircraft, so it prohibits you flying with an Albatross while the rest of your flight or squadron has another plane. This restriction is eliminated in P4, I believe.

My guess would be that that particular squadron does not possess the Alb DIII_early at that date in the war--at least as defined by the squadron roster which I believe is a hidden game file and not accessible to the player. Also remember that in P3, your flight cannot have a mix of different aircraft, so it prohibits you flying with an Albatross while the rest of your flight or squadron has another plane. This restriction is eliminated in P4, I believe.

Thanks for your conjecture regarding the possible restriction of mixed aircraft types iin a given squadron.. I do know that the Jasta has Albatross DIII's in it but I don't know how many.

Do you have an answer for my first quesion re mapping of the "PilotDossier.txt" files?

Thanks for your reply to question 2.

Best Regards;

Thanks for your conjecture regarding the possible restriction of mixed aircraft types iin a given squadron.. I do know that the Jasta has Albatross DIII's in it but I don't know how many.

Do you have an answer for my first quesion re mapping of the "PilotDossier.txt" files?

Thanks for your reply to question 2.

Best Regards;

Years ago I took a stab at decrypting much of the data that is in those files, but beyond a few easy to edit areas where you could resurrect a dead pilot, change squadron/plane assignments as well a few other things, I was never really able to get my head around some of the other attributes of the data shown.

Honestly, the main change I would make was to change the line that said (IIRC) "Deceased", back to "In Service", which would bring my recently expired pilot back to life.

Madmatt

Years ago I took a stab at decrypting much of the data that is in those files, but beyond a few easy to edit areas where you could resurrect a dead pilot, change squadron/plane assignments as well a few other things, I was never really able to get my head around some of the other attributes of the data shown.

Honestly, the main change I would make was to change the line that said (IIRC) "Deceased", back to "In Service", which would bring my recently expired pilot back to life.

Madmatt

Thanks for your reply. I appreciate your insight.

I was hoping that someone from the developer group might have some insight into this, but so far there have only been two replies.

I appreciate your comments and if I ever figure it out I will try to compile the answers and post them.

Best Regards;

I think HPW is right. I had a problem with a chosen Fighter squadron being allocated bomber missions and found that the relevant file had the role set to 'bomber', despite the unit being chosen from the list of 'fighter' squadrons presented when creating my pilot. As with your pilotdossier edit, hand-editing the squadron role back to 'fighter' had no effect - it reverted on restarting the sim. The dev's answer was on this forum not long ago but it amounted to what HPW said, there's a look-up master table in a file somewhere, which may or may not be locate-able and editable, which over-writes some kinds of hand-edits in these files.

I think HPW is right. I had a problem with a chosen Fighter squadron being allocated bomber missions and found that the relevant file had the role set to 'bomber', despite the unit being chosen from the list of 'fighter' squadrons presented when creating my pilot. As with your pilotdossier edit, hand-editing the squadron role back to 'fighter' had no effect - it reverted on restarting the sim. The dev's answer was on this forum not long ago but it amounted to what HPW said, there's a look-up master table in a file somewhere, which may or may not be locate-able and editable, which over-writes some kinds of hand-edits in these files.

Thanks for the input 33LIMA!

I guess that pretty much makes it like "finding a needle in a haystack" doesn't?

I will keep watching this post in hopes that someone will come up with the "how to".

Best Regards; :salute:

I have been pondering this issue for some time and can't seem to understand how the devs built P3 and now P4 without detailed knowledge of the dossier files. Does that make sense to anyone?

If there is some knowledge on this file type, who would have it or who could I request it from?

Don't get me wrong, this is not a criticism, just a search for knowledge and understanding!

Besst Regards;

Oh, I'm sure that the devs have detailed info about these files, otherwise, how could they design the game as it is?

What I meant is that we users don't have detailed knowledge of the dossiers files, not the devs. As to why they haven't answered, I guess they want to preserve a little mystery! Also, once people start fooling around with the dossier files, then it would become impossible to provide support, since everyone might have different dossier files or aircraft rosters from the "standard" installation.

Oh, I'm sure that the devs have detailed info about these files, otherwise, how could they design the game as it is?

What I meant is that we users don't have detailed knowledge of the dossiers files, not the devs. As to why they haven't answered, I guess they want to preserve a little mystery! Also, once people start fooling around with the dossier files, then it would become impossible to provide support, since everyone might have different dossier files or aircraft rosters from the "standard" installation.

I hear you loud and clear. That being said there are times when I would like to try some tailoring. I guess if a map of the files was available and the default settings defined, it would be easy to reset any altered files.

Would you concur with that? It would eliminate uneducated changes that might be attempted in experimentation.

Best Regards

The NEW OFF when released promises to make it able for You to Transfer your Pilot.

You'll just have to wait with the rest of us :drinks:

And you must remember this is a Profit Making Enterprize . . if everything was available . . the Profit Making might cease

Edited by Salvo2