carrick58

Off Subject

:cool: I know that this is off subject matter but What is the price of a gallon of gas in your area ? Reference: a news cast saying that the price of a Gallon is 15.00 dollars USD in Europe and 10.00 USD in South America. The momentary price here ( Low Deseret area of Calif USA ) is 4.00 USD. :blink:

Well here in England unleaded fuel is about £1.37. per litre.

That works out at roughly £5.18 per US Gallon or about $8.15.

You Americans don't know how lucky you are!:grin:

PS Diesel is about $8.72 :yikes:

:cool: I know that this is off subject matter but What is the price of a gallon of gas in your area ? Reference: a news cast saying that the price of a Gallon is 15.00 dollars USD in Europe and 10.00 USD in South America. The momentary price here ( Low Deseret area of Calif USA ) is 4.00 USD. :blink:

Hi Carrick;

I'm from Ontario Canada. We go by the metric system (liters). 1 US Gal = 3.785 liters.

Gas here ranges from $1.17 to $1.36 per liter. That is like $4.43 to $4.92 per US Gallon

Regards

Portugal in Lisbon area:

€1.53 per liter unleaded fuel and Diesel €1.37 per liter.

Which means, in round numbers, each US gallon will be $7.80 and $7.00 respectively.

Lucky Americans.:grin:

Carrick,

in my area (lancashire, uk) the price of a litre is £1.32.7, that is £5.02 per US gallon (3.785 Litre) or £6.02 per imperial gallon (4.54 litre). That works out at either $8.15 for a US gallon or $9.55 for an imperial gallon.

You americans are so lucky with your gas prices to give you an idea, to fill my car up (citreon C3) which holds 47 litres of petrol or 10.35 gallons it would cost me £62.36 with the petrol costing £1.32.7 per litre, that works out at $99.01. At the present american cost of petrol per US gallon it would cost me $49.64 or £31.27

You are so fortunate. Of course the price of petrol is so expensive in this country because years ago the government managed to change the pricing of petrol from gallons to litres, and also most of the cost of a litre of petrol is made up of a tax called fuel duty, which then has v.a.t. (value added tax) slapped on top of it.

Carrick,

in my area (lancashire, uk) the price of a litre is £1.32.7, that is £5.02 per US gallon (3.785 Litre) or £6.02 per imperial gallon (4.54 litre). That works out at either $8.15 for a US gallon or $9.55 for an imperial gallon.

Hi Rugbyfan1972, obviously us southern softy's down nearer the capital have to pay a premium for the pleasure. :blink:

EDIT:- Sorry, post looks a mess, never got the hang of using the quote boxes!

Edited by mikeymead

I live in Horsham which is about 10 miles northeast of Philadelphia, PA is about $3.70 per gallon and going up.

Carrick,

You americans are so lucky with your gas prices to give you an idea, to fill my car up (citreon C3) which holds 47 litres of petrol or 10.35 gallons it would cost me £62.36 with the petrol costing £1.32.7 per litre, that works out at $99.01. At the present American cost of petrol per US gallon it would cost me $49.64 or £31.27

You are so fortunate. Of course the price of petrol is so expensive in this country because years ago the government managed to change the pricing of petrol from gallons to litres, and also most of the cost of a litre of petrol is made up of a tax called fuel duty, which then has v.a.t. (value added tax) slapped on top of it.

Hi., What Kills me is the taxes. Of the gas price 64 to 67 cents of a dollar USD is taxes. In fact, there is a state and local tax plus a state excise tax then comes the Fed tax and a 2 cents per gallon storage fee ( don't know who gets that money). According to the internet in 2012, The Refinery People Profit was 22 cents per gallon sold in the USA.because of the Cost of Crude Oil. The Government ( according to various sources) is set up to listen to the people. However, it seems to listens to the people with money. According to my old High School Book on the U.S. Government those people are called lobbyists Currently, they want more Imports and are blocking any Local Oil development and dragging their feet on Fuel Alternatives . Thus : the Prices will only go Up increasing the Refinery Profits and Tax base per gallon of Gas. An Example: According to the Seattle, Washington. Times ( Newspaper) ,

The USA used 375 Million gals Thus: 375 million X 22 cents +Equals a lot of Influence in Politics and more Taxes.

In Portugal 55% are just for taxes (including the vat tax)

Edited by Von Paulus

I'm not sure what the current figures are but when Gordon Brown was in power the total tax you paid for your fuel was running at a staggering 81.5%.

British politicians :minigun:

Edited by tranquillo

I'm not sure what the current figures are but when Gordon Brown was in power the total tax you paid for your fuel was running at a staggering 81.5%.

European politicians. :blowup:

Another outragious aspect of fuel prices in the UK (not sure about the rest of the EU) is that, once the fuel tax has been added to the price then the whole lot gets VAT. So....we are paying tax on the tax we pay. Go figure.

Carrick,

Hi Rugbyfan1972, obviously us southern softy's down nearer the capital have to pay a premium for the pleasure. :blink:

EDIT:- Sorry, post looks a mess, never got the hang of using the quote boxes!

Mikeymead,

No problem m8, a friendly tip when using quotes , if you leave the word quote in, and type under it you will get the

in a white box, whereas if you delete one of the
s you will get it showing messed up. As far as I am concerned it is not a problem.

I have a confession, I was born in London but my parents moved north to Lancashire when I was 13 months old (turning 40 in may), so I am also a southerner. But like everything the nearer London you live the more expensive everything becomes. Hey ho such is life, hope you find my tip for using quotes helpful.

Another outragious aspect of fuel prices in the UK (not sure about the rest of the EU) is that, once the fuel tax has been added to the price then the whole lot gets VAT. So....we are paying tax on the tax we pay. Go figure.

Nothing new in Portugal. For example to buy a new car we have to pay a tax and then you add the VAT. And it's forbidden in EU to have double taxation, but who cares...

Glad to know that Portugal is in the leading, like UK, in taxes terms.

Edited by Von Paulus

Gentlemen,

First, let me state that I am NOT a conspiracy theorist. I do not believe that the US government orchestrated the 9/11 attacks in order to create a false emergency; WTC7was NOT "pulled" by a controlled demolition (nor were the Twin Towers), Oswald acted alone and there was NO shooter on the grassy knoll (I'm still up-in-the-air about UFO's...pun intended). In fact, my discussions with a die-hard conspiracist at work are the subject of some humor for our coworkers, and much dismay by our manager. That said...

I've seen the same pattern (as I'm sure many if not all of you have) since the early 1980's: fuel prices leap up using whatever feeble excuse is available:

(we're nervous about the price of crude oil because there's unrest in the Middle east; the Arabs are getting together and jacking up the price of crude oil because they're getting along so well in the Middle East)

(the weather's been too hot and dry; the weather's been too cold and wet)

(too much blah, blah, blah; not enough blah, blah, blah)

and then s-l-o-w-l-y trickle back down. This is a ploy by the oil companies to make as much excessive profit in a short time as they can before we get angry enough to take out a few of them, then drag out a reduction so we all feel better, and then stop the prices while still well above where they were before the whole process began. **edit-Rinse and repeat.**

The fact that all the prices go up and down at the same rate and at the same time is obviously collusion, although the oil companies deny that, because "that's Illegal". And the fact that no politician has the courage to take them to task over it is...well, business as usual for politicians, unfotunately.

I'm in the unhappy position of living some distance from where I work. Although I rarely drive except to and from work, I use about 26-28 gallons of gas per week. Not being able to afford an electric or hybrid car, nor likely to find work closer to home (moving closer to my work isn't an option for too many reasons to go into here), I'm forced to live with it...for now. If things go as expected, I should be able to retire modestly in slightly over four years, or semi-comfortably in slightly over eight. At which point I shall thumb my nose at the lot of them and drive not more than 100-150 miles per month, instead of 120+ per day. That shall be my revenge, and it is the only one for which I can hope.

Edited by von Baur

Britain has bad politicians? I thought the US had a monopoly on them, Republicans, Democrats, Independents they all suck.

I've seen the same pattern (as I'm sure many if not all of you have) since the early 1980's: fuel prices leap up using whatever feeble excuse is available:

Amen. Bunch of horses**t. Iran imports four drops of oil to us and the gas prices are forecast to go through the roof. Personally, I'd gladly pay higher fuel prices as a result of telling Iran to take their oil and go f*** themselves.

And while I can't speak for all Americans, this American does realize how lucky he is. Every day. :drinks: And gas prices are one of the lowest things on my "Lucky List."

Here in Massachusetts, we're paying around $3.86 per US Gallon.

From what I've been reading lately, the price of oil (crude) is largely driven by commodity futures traders who bid up the price hoping to sell off the contract (paper oil) before they have to take possession.

Paraphrasing from the book in hand, "Speculation in oil, or so-called 'paper oil' has grown exponentially in recent years. Volume increased from $13 billion to $300 billion in the five years leading up to the 2008 price peak, when 27 barrels of crude were being traded every day on the New York Mercantile Exchange for every 1 barrel of oil actually being consumed in the United States. At the time, there were no disruptions to justify the price increase, and demand was actually falling. In a 2009 interview on 60 Minutes, Dan Gilligan, President of Petroleum Marketers Association, explained what this all means. "Approximately 60 to 70% of the oil contracts in the futures markets are now held by speculative entities. Not by companies that need oil, not by airlines, not by the oil companies themselves. But by investors that are looking to make money from their speculative positions...All they do is buy the paper, and hope that they can sell it for more than they paid for it."

For you Europeans who clocked in here: you are absolutely correct. We in America have scant idea about how lucky we are. Our difficulty is, that in America things are usually far apart, while in Europe, things tend to be closer together. We have lower prices, but must spend more time in our cars.

Gentlemen,

First, let me state that I am NOT a conspiracy theorist. I do not believe that the US government orchestrated the 9/11 attacks in order to create a false emergency; WTC7was NOT "pulled" by a controlled demolition (nor were the Twin Towers), Oswald acted alone and there was NO shooter on the grassy knoll (I'm still up-in-the-air about UFO's...pun intended). In fact, my discussions with a die-hard conspiracist at work are the subject of some humor for our coworkers, and much dismay by our manager. That said...

(we're nervous about the price of crude oil because there's unrest in the Middle east; the Arabs are getting together and jacking up the price of crude oil because they're getting along so well in the Middle East)

(the weather's been too hot and dry; the weather's been too cold and wet)

(too much blah, blah, blah; not enough blah, blah, blah)

and then s-l-o-w-l-y trickle back down. This is a ploy by the oil companies to make as much excessive profit in a short time as they can before we get angry enough to take out a few of them, then drag out a reduction so we all feel better, and then stop the prices while still well above where they were before the whole process began. **edit-Rinse and repeat.**

The fact that all the prices go up and down at the same rate and at the same time is obviously collusion, although the oil companies deny that, because "that's Illegal". And the fact that no politician has the courage to take them to task over it is...well, business as usual for politicians, unfotunately.

I'm in the unhappy position of living some distance from where I work. Although I rarely drive except to and from work, I use about 26-28 gallons of gas per week. Not being able to afford an electric or hybrid car, nor likely to find work closer to home (moving closer to my work isn't an option for too many reasons to go into here), I'm forced to live with it...for now. If things go as expected, I should be able to retire modestly in slightly over four years, or semi-comfortably in slightly over eight. At which point I shall thumb my nose at the lot of them and drive not more than 100-150 miles per month, instead of 120+ per day. That shall be my revenge, and it is the only one for which I can hope.

I thought I was the only one who did not believe in conspiracys. I know people who believe that President Roosevelt knew in advance about the attack on Pearl Harbor and let it happen. As for the oil companies they are only out to make a buck. They will screw us all over to do it and use any excuse to do it. As for aliens I believe that there is intelligent life in the cosmos I just don't believe that they visit here. They are intelligent after all!

Hauksbee:

I've heard the claims (and I don't use that term to indicate that I don't believe it, hear me out) that most of this is caused by spec traders. I do believe, however, that if that were the real cause the oil companies could and would find a way to eliminate or control it so they didn't look like the greedy bastards that they do...unless, that is, unless the owners/board members of those companies are the ones making obscene profits from the trading.

... I believe that there is intelligent life in the cosmos I just don't believe that they visit here.

Visit here?? Sometimes I don't think any lives here. Fortunately, when that happens I simply look in a mirror and I'm reassured that there is, indeed, intelligent life on Earth. :cool:

:grin:

It was $3.53 per US gallon yesterday evening. I recall paying $2.35 per gallon just this past September.

Edited by Fubar512

Portugal in Lisbon area:

€1.53 per liter unleaded fuel and Diesel €1.37 per liter.

Which means, in round numbers, each US gallon will be $7.80 and $7.00 respectively.

Lucky Americans.:grin:

That is only at the low-cost fuel stations tied to the supermarkets, whose fuel is rumored to be of lesser quality... I'm guessing you took the 95-octane values for gas, Von Paulus? Brand-fuel like BP is more expensive than that...

Here it's 1,85$ for a LITER!

That makes it 7.08$ for a gallon? I'm so angry at that I could severely hurt somebody.

Average paycheck here is 1000$, but not many get the average one, most get around 600-700$ while the "elite" get's milions doing NOTHING just like in the States...

That is only at the low-cost fuel stations tied to the supermarkets, whose fuel is rumored to be of lesser quality... I'm guessing you took the 95-octane values for gas, Von Paulus? Brand-fuel like BP is more expensive than that...

Yes, you're right. About the lesser quality, it's always been a rumour. It's refined in the same place as BP and others. Although the additives are surely different.