Sign in to follow this  
Geary

Can SF2 .DDS Textures be converted to SF1 .BMP?

I've converted the SF2 AlphaJet to show up in SF1. But can't get the .dds skin textures to convert to .bmp to skin the plane in SF1.

The Cockpit, Pilots and country insignia show up in color, but no color on the plane.

I've converted the .dds files to different sized .bmp files with different paint programs and tried many differnt sizes, but still no color.

I've also changed the .dds callout in the planes .out file to .bmp, but that didn't work either.

Is it possible to convert these SF2 .dds files for use in SF1?

Thanks for any help,

Geary

Thanks,

But DDS Converter 2 doesn't seem to like my Windows 7-64bit. Installs, starts, but won't convert. Just shuts itself off when I push the convert button.

I used ImageConverter Plus to convert the .dds files. Converts one .dds file to multiple-sized .bmp files.

Don't know if the conversion is the problem or if someting else is stopping the textures from showing.

ianh775,

Thanks,

But I'm ither doing something wrong, it can't be done, or this jet just doesn't like me.

Your bmp files didn't work.

I also discovered I can't get the pure SF2 version to show up in my SF2/SF2 Merged installs.

More to research to do.

:salute:

allenjb42,

Just about to look into my old CFS2/FS9 files for that program.

Edited by GearyMcS

Take Paint.Net to convert DDS files into bmp files.

Then take Hexeditor and change dds into bmp.

Works fine for me. When the Alphajet came out i converted it for first gen sims.

DXTBmp is my choice, easy and powerful.

I use it to convert DDS <-> BMP.

Just use 24-bit BMP when saving, that's the format SF2 wants.

Edit: Oops you were asking SF1. Still the 24bit bmp should work.

Edited by PureBlue

yeup, as said above, you MUST open the LOD with a hex editor, and reaname all the dds extensions to bmp.

it's not hard at all (BUT =caveat=, back up a copy of the LOD for CYA!!!)

ianh755,

Thanks, apparently the step I was missing was hex-editing the lod file.

Yours works great. Even got the main gun working. But, the back-seat pilot is missing. Don't know if you just didn't want him to fly with you or he stepped out for a nature call.

Gepard, PureBlue and Wrench,

Think I understand now. Thanks for the help.

Can anyone suggest a good, simple hex editor for Windows 7-64bit? Preferably free but will pay if it's worth it.

Thanks, again,

Geary

Hmm, thats strange, all I did was rename the 2 skin from DDS to BMP??? - Here's a free Hex Editor - http://www.handshake.de/user/chmaas/delphi/download/xvi32.zip - Although when 1st used it looks terrifying it's very easy to use. The skin names are usually right at the bottom (but not always) on the Right side of the screen for 99% of models.

Are you using this Alpha Jet - http://combatace.com/files/file/11825-sf2-dornier-alphajet-a/ as that is what I used for the new LOD?

Edited by ianh755

ianh755,

It was a joke. The ECM box is in the back seat in that model.

I'm wondering how many other people are checking the back seat of that model?

Thanks for the hex editor. I'll give it a try. Although currently I'm using Hex Editor Neo' free version, many of the bits I like to use, like 'Replace' aren't active in the free version. Thus my search for a new hex editor.

Thanks, again,

Geary

Sorry mate, I've had a long day at work which is why I completely missed it was joke and thought you were being serious :drinks: as a bonus the free hex editor above has all the replace etc functions working.

Edited by ianh755

xvi32 is great ... and it opens ANSI and UNICLOD lods, too. Just change file type in the drop down

xvi32 is great ... and it opens ANSI and UNICLOD lods, too. Just change file type in the drop down

It's even got a UK military serial number!

I use Paintshop pro 7 for prelimanry stuff and is saves DDS file to a bmp no problem just save as