Sign in to follow this  
rjw

Problem with AI Weight Mod

Hi Folks;

I just downloaded and installed the AI weight mod and was suprised to see that all my AI buddies can't get the lead out of their pants on takeoff and crash into the trees at the end of the runway :dntknw: .

Does anyone know what I have to do to correct this. I hope I don't have to take the mod out because I like what it promises to deliver.

Best regards to all;

The AI has put on a few too many extra pounds in the AI weight mod and can't get over the trees at the end of certain airfields. This will be fixed soon. Please stay tuned.

Danke Herr Prop-Washe :good:

My HPW Lighter AI Empty Weight Mod has just been uploaded to the Downloads section of the forum and awaits approval from the moderators of the board. Please see the General OFF forum for details.

My HPW Lighter AI Empty Weight Mod has just been uploaded to the Downloads section of the forum and awaits approval from the moderators of the board. Please see the General OFF forum for details.

Thanks Herr Prop-Wasche!

Just curious, how much of an adjustment did you have to make and was it the same adjustment amount for each craft?

Best Regards;

The adjustments varied according to aircraft type and side.

First, I based my adjustments on the OFF ramp weight instead of the maximum weight. This resulted in a net loss of around 40 lbs for scouts and around 330 lbs for two-seaters. Then, I subtracted from the ramp weight 75 lbs for German scouts, 100 lbs for Allied scouts, and 150 lbs for two-seaters on either side. This represents fuel used for take-off, climb and egress to patrol area. The 25 lb difference between Alliied and German scouts should not result in a noticeable difference in performance between the aircraft on each side.

The most significant difference in weight for scouts between my mod and 33Lima's was for the Albatross DII and the Fokker DVII because 33Lima based his mod on his estimate of each planes maximum weight load less 80 pounds expended for fuel, while I based my update of his mod on each planes ramp weight less 75 or 100 lbs expended for fuel, depending on whether the aircraft was Allied or German. Because ramp weight is related to empty weight, but maximum weight is independent of empty weight, my settings are lower because the OFF empty weight for these two planes is 200 or so lbs lower than they probably should be.

The adjustments varied according to aircraft type and side.

Thanks for the in depth details. I appreciate it. The mod seems to work great. I downloaded it and installed about an hour after you uploaded it.. haven't seen any degatives yet.

Best Regards

Hi Folks;

I just downloaded and installed the AI weight mod and was suprised to see that all my AI buddies can't get the lead out of their pants on takeoff and crash into the trees at the end of the runway :dntknw: .

Does anyone know what I have to do to correct this. I hope I don't have to take the mod out because I like what it promises to deliver.

Best regards to all;

As a matter of interest, which type of plane is crashing, and do you happen to know at which particular airfield?

At the moment as HPW says, it seems that only certain planes (some, but not all, lower-powered, early war?) cannot cope and even then, only have the problem at certain airfields eg with trees and/or slopes at the take-off end. Halberstadt DIIs and Pups I have seen have problems in this situation. FE2s might, not sure. Would help to know what other types have problems.

I'm interested to see how HPW's ramp-weight mod works out; I have been sticking with the current weight mod as I think the lightweight AI badly need the reining in it provides and will be interested to see if HPW's new mod can contunue to do that sufficiently, while eliminating the problem from the (few?) plane types and airfield situations where the AI can't safely take off at close to (but less than) normal full military load - which they really should be able to do. That said the current un-modded OFF take-off performance is wildly better than P2 where fireballs at the end of the runway were very common if not the norm, even with the extra weight the P3 AI manage to take off, climb and dogfight quite well in most cases which is a credit to the team.

I have also noticed that my flight-mates often lag at lower levels before climbing up after me but I think they had this problem much the same without any mod and that it is more an AI formation-keeping issue than anything else, as they can climb up fast enough when they 'decide' to.

As a matter of interest, which type of plane is crashing, and do you happen to know at which particular airfield?

At the moment as HPW says, it seems that only certain planes (some, but not all, lower-powered, early war?) cannot cope and even then, only have the problem at certain airfields eg with trees and/or slopes at the take-off end. Halberstadt DIIs and Pups I have seen have problems in this situation. FE2s might, not sure. Would help to know what other types have problems.

I'm interested to see how HPW's ramp-weight mod works out; I have been sticking with the current weight mod as I think the lightweight AI badly need the reining in it provides and will be interested to see if HPW's new mod can contunue to do that sufficiently, while eliminating the problem from the (few?) plane types and airfield situations where the AI can't safely take off at close to (but less than) normal full military load - which they really should be able to do. That said the current un-modded OFF take-off performance is wildly better than P2 where fireballs at the end of the runway were very common if not the norm, even with the extra weight the P3 AI manage to take off, climb and dogfight quite well in most cases which is a credit to the team.

I have also noticed that my flight-mates often lag at lower levels before climbing up after me but I think they had this problem much the same without any mod and that it is more an AI formation-keeping issue than anything else, as they can climb up fast enough when they 'decide' to.

My problem was in Jasta 11 which had Alb DIII and Halberstad II. All my Halbs crashed into the trees at the end of the runwasy when I took off. The DIII's were not in the missions I tried so I can't say if there would have been a problem.

Regards;

Cheers and thanks for the feedback; the DII was indeed one of the limited number of known issues; from what I've seen the Albs are all fine in the original mod.

HPW provided a separate FM mod just for the Halb DII which may have had its features incorporated in his latest mod. Specifically, the stock DII is remarkably nose-heavy which may not have helped it to cope with flying at realistic weight; HPW had much improved this nose-heaviness as well as reducing the weight, to the extent it could take off fine.

Cheers and thanks for the feedback; the DII was indeed one of the limited number of known issues; from what I've seen the Albs are all fine in the original mod.

HPW provided a separate FM mod just for the Halb DII which may have had its features incorporated in his latest mod. Specifically, the stock DII is remarkably nose-heavy which may not have helped it to cope with flying at realistic weight; HPW had much improved this nose-heaviness as well as reducing the weight, to the extent it could take off fine.

Just wish I could catch up to the Alb DIII's in my Jasta. They always seem to run away from me. Such is life in a DII.