Sign in to follow this  
Olham

Better OFF with a better system?

Only just recently, I have upgraded my system.

Our good soul Morris gave me a very good graphic card, and I overclocked my CPU slightly.

Now I do not only experience much smoother and more detailed graphics - I also got the impression,

that the two-seaters are fighting better.

I only had three clashes so far with 2seaters - 2x R.E.8 and 1x Sopwith Strutter.

But at least the latter did not fight back so well before, me thinks.

The leader even turned round to give his gunner a good field of fire, when I was chasing his wingmen.

Is this only funny coincidence, or does OFF perform more and even better AI intelligence, if it can use a faster system?

Edited by Olham

Seems to be the higher the settings used the more CFS3 then knows your system is capable to handle more AI calculations etc too.

Damn, then it would be a huge improvement not only graphic-wise - much more dangerous two-seaters now!

Great stuff - feels like a new OFF !

Seems to be the opposite that you would imagine, turn down sliders so free up CPU so better AI, but that is not the case. Seems higher sliders mean CFS3 believes you have a good system so ups the CPU calcs.

Yes, indeed!

Makes the waiting for OFF II easier, now that I have a "new" sim through this improvement.

Seems higher sliders mean CFS3 believes you have a good system so ups the CPU calcs.

Wow! Definately an amazing find Olham!

I wonder what other settings would increase the AI level or if there is a way to test this theory in game.

Seems to be the higher the settings used the more CFS3 then knows your system is capable to handle more AI calculations etc too.

mmmmmmmmmm I better lower my sliders so my pilot can pass the 20.0 hr mark.:cool:

Abbay, I have overclocked the CPU only slightly in "safe mode" in my motherboard's EFI (BIOS).

It runs at 3.43 GHz now.

Then I have also received a powerful graphic card - thanks again, Morris! - with 2 GPU in it.

With this combination, I have set "Ground object density" on high, and most graphic setting sliders on "%".

That's about it.

If your system cannot perform that, you will notice by low framerates and stutters, and can go back.

I recommend to try out these graphics slider settings first:

Aircraft: 5

Terrain Detail: 3

Scenery Detail: 4

Effects Quality: 5

Clouds: 5

Try that with "Ground objects density" on "medium"; and if that still works fine, on "high".

It should still work in Alsace (many trees) - if not, step back a bit.

Speaking of 2 seaters and the AI.... I find that BE2c and Sopwith Strutters just fly straight and don't fight back until they go down in flames making them VERY easy targets..... is that the experience of others? You would think they would at least try to dive for the deck and evade or can't that be a part of the AI?

That is exactly what I meant, golden eagle.

They usually do that, and even with the faster system, most of them do.

But their way of fighting back is better. They fire crosswise to protect each other.

And in both cases I have experienced now, the leader craft turned round let his gunner shoot at me.

I had never seen that before.

I have a theory about the behavior of two-seaters in P3: they fly straight ahead without breaking formation because that's how a lot of bombers in WW2 flew. I think what we are dealing with is again a legacy of CFS3 code that was originally designed for a World War II game--not a WW I game.

Sounds like a credible theory, HPW. Flying straight through trouble does work better for a B-17 than for a B.E.2, though. The Quirk is somewhat lacking in defensive armament.

Is it possible in CFS3 to assign the WWI 2 seaters to more of a fighter bomber roll than a bomber roll? I never got into CFS3 so not sure how well they represented the FB role but that would be a little closer match to WWI 2 seaters than using them as pure bombers maybe?

They are aware of this, and I'm sure they are working on it - or have it solved already.

Yes - I should realize that I am pretty late to this game and probably all these things have been discussed and debated before my time. It will be great to see what they come up with in OFF2 but assuming it is still based on CFS3 it will of course still have some of the same limitations is my expectation.

I guess one should ignore, what CFS3 was, when it came out. It was less a sim, but rather a game.

Some engine things are still being used from that game, and that's it.

And what do we know - the fact that CFS3 was such a failure, must not mean that the underlying basic

engine and stuff were bad. It was only made into a rather bad arcadish game.

Winder said some time ago, that the CFS3 engine still offered more than enough abilities to fullfill

what they wanted to achieve. And the man has never disappointed me yet.