Sign in to follow this  
RAF_Louvert

OFF 2: Hoping the Escadrille Americaine is well represented

I love to fly with this group from it's beginnings and I am hopeful that the many personal paint schemes of the various flyers will be included in OFF2. I've painted most of the Nieups myself for P3 and some will show up on the field when several of the aces are flying. But it would be great to have them all there from the get-go. :smile:

OFF_Esc_Laf_Lineup_001.jpg

Two weeks can't come fast enough. :grin:

I wonder how OFF2 will handle that escadrille. The air force is French, but the pilots should be mostly American. When there are casualties, the replacement pilots shouldn't be only French.

By the way, nice work, Lou.

Two weeks can't come fast enough. :grin:

A cute little team you have created there, Lou! :good:

Yes, two weeks - we know from the release of P3, how long two weeks can feel - must be mental distortion?

I wonder how OFF2 will handle that escadrille. The air force is French, but the pilots should be mostly American. When there are casualties, the replacement pilots shouldn't be only French.

By the way, nice work, Lou.

Spanish ?

Hey Lou : Nice work and I share your interest in the " Escadrille Americane ".

Thanks for the kudos Hasse Wind, Olham, and Carrick. It is nice to look out across the field and see the historical markings of the various pilots. And Hasse Wind, I've wondered the same thing about how such things will be handled in the new sim as concerns this rather unique squadron.

I keep holding off getting too deep into detailing all the Esc 124 planes as I would prefer to do that work in OFF 2. However, I have spent a fair amount of painting time on the N11 and am hoping that I will be able to use some of the bits and pieces in OFF 2. BTW, here is my current mount in the Escadrille Americaine:

OFF_Esc_Laf_N11_Alberts_002.jpg

It has the pale bluish cream outline on the wings and elevator as well as the pale blue underside. Sergent Langdon Alberts looks mighty fine flying about in this spiffy little kite. :smile:

I can't remember anymore how the Escadrille was represented in RB2/3D. It was under the French air service there too, if I'm not mistaken. But I can't remember how the pilot replacements for it worked, and if they were only French or American pilots.

A fine craft you're flying there, Lou!

But where are the "Ochsenaugen"? I'm used to using them as targets! Mmuahahahahahahaaaaa!!!!!

Serious now - I didn't know that the Escadrille Lafayette was flying without the cockardes.

"Ochsenauge" means "ox eye" by the way. The Germans called the French roundels so.

Hasse Wind, I can't remember exactly anymore myself how things worked with this in RB3D, though I seem to recall that you were transferred to the US Air Service automatically sometime in early 1918.

Olham, a fair number of the French escadrilles early in the war did not paint the "ox eyes" on the fuselage or on the tops of the wings, but only on the undersides. Here is a famous shot of some of the Esc 124 planes showing this lack of markings:

124LAF_align_Nieuport11_2.jpg

This photo does put me so well on the airfield, that once again I feel subtle desire to fly in a Nieuport squadron.

I have sworn myself, that, when OFF II is out, I will fly British, French and American campaigns - already their

airfields seem to be looking so wonderful in the preview video.

IIRC, Red Baron's approach was a little confused. If you embarked on an American career prior to the USA's entry into the war it would tell you that you had to be part of the Lafayette Escadrille. But I'm pretty sure that once there all the names were distinctly French. Not a Smith, a Brown or a Jones in the bunch.

I keep holding off getting too deep into detailing all the Esc 124 planes as I would prefer to do that work in OFF 2.

My exact sentiment. I am hoping that some of the things I have done will roll over but haven't been inspired much until OFF2 appears. Then I am hoping that I catch fire and start contributing more.