rjw

Video Cards, Mboards, & Power supplies

I ws wondering if anyone is running a Radeon 7970 on an Intel DX58SO main board and a 1000 watt power supply?

Would be interested to hear from anyone using this config.

Best Regards :no:

I am not running that system; but did you have a specific question? I see a lot of complaints about that board; both in memory problems ( I see it only supports ddr3 1600). People are also complaining about the sata controllers as well. Is it a planed or existing build? You could get a much better Asus board for around the same price.

I use an ASUS P8P67, and I am very happy with it.

It's EFI (Bios) allows a simple/safe overclocking for amateurs like me.

Edited by Olham

For me..ASUS is the only board I will buy.

Have used Gigabyte in the past..but recently..They have been really bad!....I have had 3 dead boards from new, in 18months

I'm on an ABIT IP35-P. Originally, my machine had an IP35-E, but the capacitors ruptured and the mfgr replaced the board for free with an upgrade to the -P model. Of course, that was more than 3 years ago.

The PS is the original one. Have no idea what the capacity is. I'd guess it's no more than 500W

Video card originally was a 9800GTS, but it burned out about 18 months ago and I replaced it with a cheap "temporary" GT430 with the expectation that I'd upgrade the enire system soon. Still waiting :censored:

Edited by NS13Jarhead

I am not running that system; but did you have a specific question? I see a lot of complaints about that board; both in memory problems ( I see it only supports ddr3 1600). People are also complaining about the sata controllers as well. Is it a planed or existing build? You could get a much better Asus board for around the same price.

Hi FenrisWlf;

Just wondering about compatibility of the board and the video card. Actually I would be interested in anyones comments who are using that vid card and what they are running it with whether crossfire or not. The board has been around for awhile and therefore does not have the newest technology. I am using the board with a Saphire Radeon 4870 card (not crossfire) with no problems but considering possible future updates

Best Regards

Edited by rjw

The AMD 7970 is a PCIe 3.0 ready. Twice as fast as PCIe 2.0.

So if you want the correct MB for the graphics card you should look at the Asus extreme IV.

Salute.

So no one here likes ASUS...=p. I personally do not like x-fire or sli. I find them to be a bit dodgy. I prefer one card with allot of memory. Sometimes I think it's a gimmick to get us to buy two cards. Just my opinion though.

Cheers.

So no one here likes ASUS...=p. I personally do not like x-fire or sli. I find them to be a bit dodgy. I prefer one card with allot of memory. Sometimes I think it's a gimmick to get us to buy two cards. Just my opinion though.

Cheers.

Well, I had problems with Asus motherboards. But generally speaking, they are usually very reliable like Gigabyte.

Hi FenrisWlf;

Just wondering about compatibility of the board and the video card. Actually I would be interested in anyones comments who are using that vid card and what they are running it with whether crossfire or not. The board has been around for awhile and therefore does not have the newest technology. I am using the board with a Saphire Radeon 4870 card (not crossfire) with no problems but considering possible future updates

Best Regards

With my personal experience, I had a 6870 with an intel DP67BG board. They worked together good, until I decided to upgrade the video card. I inserted the 580 and.... nothing. No video signal. Then I reinserted the 6870 and everything was OK. Me and the PC technician tried swapping the power supply, memory, RAM and even tried to mess around with the PCIE power and nothing seemed to work. The 580 didn't jive with the intel MB. So, I switched to a slightly bit more expensive Gigabyte MB and presto... the card was humming away with a video signal and I never looked back since. Moral of the story for me is never trust intel MB. BTW - I also am happy with my intel HD.