rjw

OFF skinning tutorial ?

In the tutorial by "Gous" Chapter 2, it says "First, go to Layer tab and create a new Layer and press Ok".

My editor is Paint Shop Pro version X2. and when I create a new layer I have to choose one of the following:

Raster, Vector, ArtMedia, Group, Mask, or Adjustment.

Just what type of layer should I be choosing since the tutorial doesn't define one.

Best Regards; :blink:

In general, all layers should be raster. There are only a couple of occasions where you need to use vector layers (such as making text follow a curved line, usually for some personal markings). I never use any other the other types at all.

Thanks Bullethead for your quick response.:grin: ;

I'm new to this so I expect I may need to clarify a few things as I go along.

Best Regards

I THINK i'VE GOT IT!!!!!

It's a very tedious process and one I would not like to spend a lot of time on in general, but I found the tutorial very enlightening, useful and explicit and I thank all who worked on it.

I have a better understanding and appreciation for the complexity and time it takes to generate all those skins in P3. I can't imaging the hours involved to complete them all.

Best Regards;:good:

Yup, skinning can be very tedious. However, that's only in creating your basic template. Once you've got that, you can slap a new coat of paint on it in no time. That's why you usually see a bunch of paintjobs for the same plane from the same person.

I typically end up with about 50-70 layers per skin. 5 or 6 of these are just aids to me during the construction process and aren't seen in the final product. 10 or 12 are structural features (control surface joints, control surface edge shading, rib shading, control line openings, fake 3D louvers, etc.) that will be common to all paintjobs for this particular plane. The rest are the actual paintjob I'm making, complete with national and personal markings, etc.

Thankfully..with 3000+ skins to choose from, most skinning is just personalization really. I've done a couple from scratch, but' like you guys say...it's murderous..and I've cancelled quite a few good ideas I had..just because of the effort involved!....which makes the OFF skinners achievements even more incredible!