Hi guys,

odd thing just happened, new in my experience with P3, probably not yours:

Flying an escourt mission (not flight leader) with 41 Sqd (DH5s) from Lealvillers 16/7/17, took off and was forming up - not climbing much which I thought a bit odd - got briefly separated when I turned the wrong way.

When I caught up with them they just got lower and lower until, one by one, they went into the trees and boom. No EA present - as far as I could tell.

Then the little magenta message flashed up that the mission had failed.

Any ideas abt what happened ?

Cheers

Are you using a modded FM ??? The original AI Weight mod has the planes to heavy and some of the planes will slowly sink and crash.

Then the little magenta message flashed up that the mission had failed.

Any ideas abt what happened ?

No, I never had that to happen, and it shouldn't happen surely.

The only such crashing accidents which we all know of, are those at landings, when they crash into the trees

next to the aerodrome. Your problem has nothing to do with the weight.

If it never occurs again, it might have been a single mission with a wrong mission altitude.

If it happens more often, then there is something faulty your end, Sid.

It is important, that you install the main sim, and the add-on "HitR" exactly like it's noted in the OBD website.

You need to install the right patches, in correct order. See here:

http://overflandersfields.com/FAQ.htm

Panama: stock as a rock, mate.

Olham: install absolutely per OBD.

I think it must be a freakish one-off. I did another mission immediately after I posted

with no probs - bombed up too.

P3 still full of suprises hey.

I'll get back if it happens again.

Cheers

Ditto to Carrick's reply, but then I never fly a mission other than as flight leader so...

I only fly as flight leader, and while I have the AI empty weight mod installed, that has never happened with the mod enabled - besides which, my experiences suggest that your flight mates do not use the AI empty weight mod, they fly with the same FM as the player - at least, when the player is leading (if not also when he's not, tho that's just a guess).

I am pretty sure this is an occasional glitch in the AI.

A while back, flying Strutters against a flight of Fokker E3s in campaign, in hilly terrirory, I saw the Fokker leader fly quite leisurely, in a gentle descent, right into a hill and pile up. His flight mates flew steadily behind him and piled up in the same area one after the other, all quite slowly and deliberately. This was before the AI weight mod was even a distant dream. No mods. Stock as stock can be.

Regularly, when leading a flight, (again, both before and after AI weight mod) I often see my flight-mates have fallen, not behind me, but well below my level, while I am climbing hard. It is like they consider themselves in formation because they are level with me in the vertical plane, even tho they are a lot lower in the horizontal plane. They seem not to detect, or react to, the separation in height. To get them to climb back up - which they manage to do very readily, once they 'decide' to, the AI weight mod does NOT significantly inhibit them from climbing steadily up again - I have found I can 'trigger' the 'oops, we're too low, must climb back up' response by levelling out and drawing a little ahead. At that point, they seem to realise they are out of formation, low, and climb back up quickly. Like I said, the AI weight mod does NOT inhibit them from climbing back up briskly, even with low-powered planes like the Pup.

As I think Polovski has observed, mileages will presumably vary depending on which plane you are flying, which AI setting you're using, and whether modded or not, but I'm fairly convinced by what I have seen there is an AI issue behind thisbehaviour. Apart from the Eindekker Lemming impersonation, and your account of Lemming DH5s, I have never found it more than a minor inconvenience

Edited by 33LIMA

Hi 33LIMA,

I think you have it - an AI glitch. Its never happened before and it hasn't recurred.

Not even a minor inconvenience really - more part of the quirkiness and texture of P3.

I have been tweaking lately and thought I may have stuffed up.

Cheers

As it's the DH5 then you have HITR so make sure you have also installed all the patches for HITR. The FM was improved too,

"• DH5 : FM (flight model) revised, top speed, max altitude and climb improved and minor changes. Minor 3D model fixes."

http://www.overflandersfields.com/Downloads**tR.htm

Hi Polovski,

my HitR is patched to 1.74 so I don't think that is a problem.

Not to worry, it did only happen the once. It was just so singular in my experience that I

thought it may be worth posting the details just in case anybody had had similar probs.

I'll persevere with DH5s (1 of my fave a/c in P3) and report back.

Cheers

Nice to hear, that the DH-5 has a fan, Sid. Please send some pics in the "Screenshots" thread north from here.

OK just a thought, also could be other things like slider settings or something caused the dll to stop working whatever.