Hellshade

OT: Unreal 3 Engine Features video

Hmmmm.... now if you could just harness a flight simulator to it... type.gif

Edited by _CaptSopwith

Stunning visuals are great..provided you get a good storyline to go with them.

Did I see Dr Who running about in that?

Nevermind integrating a flight sim, they should integrate google earth. I could go my holidays anywhere without the expense of actually going there. Dive Scapa Flow or Truk Lagoon in safety or travel to any time forward or back wherever the programing existed. Wouldn't be real, but you have to ask if that would matter....

Get your arse to Mars,...Get your arse to Mars,... Get your arse to Mars....

And a long way from MS Flight Simulator in black, cyan, magenta and white! I remember when I thought Falcon AT was the best I could ever hope for!

Hmmmm.... now if you could just harness a flight simulator to it... type.gif

The codebase is probably sophisticated enough by now. Don't see why you couldn't, but I'm probably missing something. If not... OFF 3 perhaps! I'll stump up towards the licence.

I've always felt that using recent satellite imagery (updated every day, or maybe even as much as two to four times per day) for the terrain would be the absolute bomb for a civilian flight sim. Imagine flying over London, Tokyo or Los Angeles in near-real time? Seeing the fall colors in New England or a fresh snow pack in the Rockies? Or virtual sightseeing of natural disasters like the tsunami that hit Japan last year or an erupting volcano or the aftermath of an earthquake? I would think that people would pay extra for that capability. And if it could be streamed real-time..... :good:

I've always felt that using recent satellite imagery (updated every day, or maybe even as much as two to four times per day) for the terrain would be the absolute bomb for a civilian flight sim. Imagine flying over London, Tokyo or Los Angeles in near-real time? Seeing the fall colors in New England or a fresh snow pack in the Rockies? Or virtual sightseeing of natural disasters like the tsunami that hit Japan last year or an erupting volcano or the aftermath of an earthquake? I would think that people would pay extra for that capability. And if it could be streamed real-time..... :good:

You kind of think that's going to happen. "Do-it-Yourself" news coverage.

The first PC I ever owned didn't have any hard drive at all, but two big floppy drives, I forget if they were 5", 7" or 9", but 3.5" floppy discs came much later and were a big step forward. Windows? DVD's? Ha! Weren't invented. A mouse? Forget it. It worked as a word processor, but we are talking primitive. I think Dos was the operating system.

How I wish I'd kept hold of it now. Antique at 30 years old.

Seen this? It won't be long before were all cyborgs with PC implants.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...nology-17190918

For all the progress I've seen in my lifetime, the one area which has been slow to keep up with expectation is perhaps 3d / Virtual reality. Even in my 20's, some 26 years ago now, architectural CAD was getting into virtual reality, and the expectation was that games and 3d worlds you could enter wouldn't be far behind. I suspect somebody somewhere is working on something impressive, but it's not mainstream as I thought it might be by now.

Edited by Flyby PC

I think the biggest delay in that kind of virtual reality, Flyby, has been the ability to render the image in true-3D; stereoptic depth perception. To date, in order to achieve that in a head-mounted display (necessary for 360* viewing, unless you can afford to build a warehouse-sized gaming room :blink: ) you needed multiple displays. Pi-sight even created a monster with 24...count 'em, 24...individual displays, 12 per eye. But look at the trend in 3D TV's and you'll see that this is becoming much more feasible. Manufacturers are making single screens that can provide full-color steroptic depth perception (true-3D) with passive lenses. How long will it be before somebody sticks a 7.5" (about 6" horizontal) one of these babies in a hmd, with polarized lenses like the ones you wear at a 3D movie over each eye? I'm thinking, make it an OLED dispay curved to an arc of 45*s or so for a good wrap-around effect and virtual reality is...well, a reality. I give it two to three years, max. And assuming that people who work for the companies that would be involved in this kind of thing have the same sort of vision (get it? :rofl: ) I do, it could already be in the works and possibly available by the end of this year.

Now all we have to do is hope the Mayans were wrong. :grin: