It says you can't run SF2NA on Windows XP. Well, TK suggests you don't, as he has no idea what the result will be. So has anybody been bold enough to risk his money and try? What was the result?

Hi ndicki

Yep I did, installed it with all my other SF2 games, and my results so far. SF2NA will not start up, when I bought it I was half hoping/expecting it would start and run like a dog but I don’t get anything.

That was the bad news. The good news is that so far in SF2E, on the waterworld map, I get lovely carriers with planes on them, lots new ships and planes to play with. One reason for buying SF2NA is that I want to take off from a carrier on the Vietnam map in a campaign with other ships around. I am keeping my fingers crossed on that one

I can run TKs Iceland map but the sea is just white.

I will try some antiship missions in SF2 later to check that I am getting missiles from all launchers not just the front one.

So far I am quite happy with the results, though a lot more testing is needed.

Cheers

Snapper21

KeyboardChap here has and it worked for him (just above Stary's post) - http://combatace.com...post__p__558088 - you could try PM'ing them for more info on his setup.

Thanks - he mentions DX9 but not his OS. Worth following up in any case.

Hi ndicki

Yep I did, installed it with all my other SF2 games, and my results so far. SF2NA will not start up, when I bought it I was half hoping/expecting it would start and run like a dog but I don’t get anything.

Bad news...Even with ForceDX9=TRUE?

Edited by ndicki

Force DX9 dosen't work, I get the error message below. But to be honest, I don't think my old PC meets any of the game requirements.

post-13430-0-52153400-1331469356.jpg

Force DX9 dosen't work, I get the error message below. But to be honest, I don't think my old PC meets any of the game requirements.

post-13430-0-52153400-1331469356.jpg

The Strike fighters north atlantic executable gives this DLL error,

But any other merged or semi merged march 2012 executable will run, and does allow you to play all aspects of north atlantic.

Setting water to low shows blue water and green iceland, but not as intended. It does work however.

If you also want the NA background you have to rename the original "Strike fighters 2 north atlantic" executable to "_Strike fighters 2 north atlantic"

and rename "strike fighters 2 vietnam" or any of the other ones, to "Strike fighters 2 north atlantic"

As soon as there is a working CAT extractor I will try to make a stand in Iceland terrain based on the old Tilemap system .

TK doesnt think DX9 will render the sea and other bits properly if at all

ndicki dont you mention you only have 1.5GB of RAM?

Hi guys, I'm using Windows 7. The terrain looks awful with forcedx9=TRUE but it's worth it for the planes, ships and other stuff.

Setting water to low shows blue water and green iceland, but not as intended. It does work however.

Hi Gerwin

Tried Iceland terrain with water settings low, had a quick flight and it looks quite playable.:good:

Cheers

Snapper 21

ndicki dont you mention you only have 1.5GB of RAM?

Stop laughing!

My computer is that old that it really isn't worth buying more. I hope to be replacing it before too long, but I want to stay with WXP because I use one or two older sims that don't like W7...

ndicki:

You need to do the same thing as me. Keep your old XP game machine for XP games, and buy a new Win7 PC for the newer games.

I have several old PCs with their original OC (Win98, XP) just so I can play the older games without the hassle of tring to get them to run in Win7.

Just get a KVM switch and you can hook up several PCs that use the same mouse, keyboard and monitor.

what i do not understand is, older games like silent hunter 3 look great with dx9. have briliant water even silent hunter 4 has great water.

sad that there is no possibility to have a switch between dx9 and 10.

what i do not understand is, older games like silent hunter 3 look great with dx9. have briliant water even silent hunter 4 has great water.

sad that there is no possibility to have a switch between dx9 and 10.

TK would have to recode the entire series to use the necessary shader parameter, and that takes more money than it's worth. It would be a very poor or even negative return on his investment at this point, especially given that the largest share of the PC OS market now belongs to Windows 7.

Mh ok that could be the point, still not sure how much new stuff he put into the new code, or is it complete new?! Doesnt look so , but thats another point.

What maybe is more interesting is the upcoming time, where people like you and other modder discover new features.

SF2 NA does not work with XP when started alone. But when merged with other SF2 installation it works, also with my very old computer (2,8 GHz single core). The planes working well. You can fly them and there is no significant FPS drop.

Problematic is IcelandNA terrain. Over the open sea you can perform dogfights without problems. When closing Iceland the fps rate drops. Over the dry land the game becomes unplayable for me.

The sea looks ugly in XP, only blue and white stripes. See screenshot below:

post-3395-0-58479000-1331490830.jpg

Loading time has become very long. And CAT extractor tool does not work anymore.

Edited by Gepard

Hello,

@Gepard,

I've another XP machine (X2 Opteron 165 2.2GHz, 2 Go RAM, 8800GTX 768Mo) with SF2... would be possible to "fly" over Israel terrain/sea after SF2/SF2:NA merged install?

Coupi. :bye:

yes, and on my Voodoo 1 FarCry looks ugly too...

seriously guys, what exactly are you trying to achieve?

ok...lets get this straightened out once and for all...

the new terrain engine ™ is for SF2NA ONLY.

It has abso-frakking-loutley

NO

effect on the Original 4 Terrains ™, and 3rdParty addon terrains, as they still use the original terrain engine.

As to the XP/DX9 thing, the Manufacturer said "it ain't gonna work". It can't and don't get any clearer than that.

• Dislike 1

The answer is simple, i hope to get NA working on my old system. For an 23 Euro game i will not by a new computer.

I hear you, Michael!!

has anyone even tried the (as I've only heard of this...) some kind of a beta DX10 for XP?? I know nothing about it, just read it somewhere on some board someplace...

it may be worth some investigating for the XP users.

I hear you, Michael!!

has anyone even tried the (as I've only heard of this...) some kind of a beta DX10 for XP?? I know nothing about it, just read it somewhere on some board someplace...

I tried it. First I thought it was working. Then I thought it never worked because I never saw DX10 stuff like the fading in of buildings.

I removed it since.

Again, I just need a cat extractor to open up icelandNA.cat, then make a TFD/HFD tilemap based replacement. should be easy. Right?

Edited by gerwin

sorry for my previous harsh comment, but you're barking the wrong tree guys -it was TK's develompent decision to do only Dx10+ engine (terrain engine to be precise)

and he stated numerous times it will be for Dx10+ only...

@Kevin: I was poking around that thing back in what, 2007, dunno how now it's state is

I hear you, Michael!!

There was a cheat out a while back, that supposedly allowed one to play DX10 titles in WinXP. It was an emulator, sort of like a Glide wrapper. It did not work very well, and for a good reason. DX10 (and DX11) are integral components of Windows Vista and 7, in that they allow direct hardware access, ergo, the graphics drivers for them are very different and cannot be ported in any way, shape, or form into an older OS. Simply copying over, say, nVidia DX10 graphics drivers dll files will not work (irregardless of what some may claim).

gerwin: don't think there IS a TFD/HFD anymore -- this terrain is LOD based. Just like an airplane, or ships or tank. There may not even be texture tiles like we're used to; everything may applied as a material.

but again ... without the frakking extractor, we're just farting in the wind

gerwin: don't think there IS a TFD/HFD anymore -- this terrain is LOD based. Just like an airplane, or ships or tank. There may not even be texture tiles like we're used to; everything may applied as a material.

but again ... without the frakking extractor, we're just farting in the wind

Yes LOD based is what TK told us. I hope one can just replace the LOD with a classic HFD/TFD of the same size, whilst keeping the target locations intact.

Edit: To me SF2NA has plenty value, even considering Iceland does not look nice in XP for now: All these new US and Soviet planes and ships. awesome!

Edited by gerwin