Sign in to follow this  
Caesar

Back Up Your Stuff!

ALCON,

I'm going through and backing up my stuff today on my gaming rig after my laptop suffered hard drive failure last night (click, click, click, BEEEEEEEEEEEP!). Lost a few files on there that I don't recall if I had backups of. So, as a reminder, if you haven't recently, back up your stuff!

Back up, back up, BACK UP.....

I feel for ya bro.....I suggest everyone does what he says. I remember when I was creating my sweden terrain and had a HD crash. 18 months of work gone. I thought it cant happen to me, (sounds like an advert for drink driving) well it did. Here is another poor guy who has sat at their computer after the HD crashed just staring at a screen shaking their head in disbelief, after totally loosing it and swearing their head off. Since this happened to me I have a backup HD that I put all my downloads on and important folders. PLUS an external HD with the exact copies. I HAVE LEARNT!!!!!!

Cheers

just did that last night....before installing SF2NA.

have 2 externals I backitup too ..

did this last Friday, and dumped some 60GB of old stuff -just in time for NA release :good:

I've learnt this lesson myself the hard way. Heed the man folks..........

I have been doing backups of data at work for weeks... so this translates at home...

As the man says Backup Backup Backup if you say what you will lose the hard drive...

Given the quality of external hard drives that I had, the trend is rather "back up your back ups" blink.gif

52::

Given the quality of external hard drives that I had, the trend is rather "back up your back ups"

I hear stories of backup external drives failed on people souls. With the recent drop in long term reliabily of even internal hard drives, I'd be paranoid enough to make multiple independent backups on (at least) several hard drives.

I learned the easy way. :drinks:

After my first computer years back, which I built myself, kinda (long story), I made backups to floppy disks, yea that long ago, because it just made *sense* somehow. I spent months programming a space combat simulator, and it just made sense to backup the source code on floppy and in time, extra spare hard drives. I guess I'm just like that is all.

However, I did have a first brutal "lesson" that taught me I was right to be backing up my really imporant big stuff. To avoid hard drive grinding, I always loaded the DOS Su-27 Flaker 1.0 game into the Microsoft DOS ramdisk. One day I spent hours making a thousand plane mission, and the mission editor froze up. Had to reboot. Lost it all -- but only a few hours work. After that, I would often exit the editor and with a quick batch command, copy it to the hard drive.

How often? Whenever I got paranoid about losing what I had just done, I backed it up. Paranoia about losing stuff has always been my guide to when to back up. Since then, all my stuff is backed up independently on DVD, thumb drives, but BY FAR most importantly, on about two dozen old internal hard drives for very long term storage stored in more than one location.