Sign in to follow this  
carrick58

Film

I recently caught part of a 1929 American Film on T.V. ( The Flying Fleet) But could not I.D. the different types of U.S. Navy aircraft. Great clips of the a/c of that Time period on active duty ( although some Army types were used). If any of the forums members saw the film see what U can I.D. For example, 4 stack navy Destroyers ( Ships) and The Navy aircraft carrier U.S.S. Langley. The story of course is bad and did I mention its a silent film ?

Found this Pic of the ship and aircraft dated 1928. It may be same to assume that these were the aircraft used in the film ( except for the Army ones used as Navy a/c) Unless new a/c came in to the fleet in 1929 when the film was made.

gallery_50835_349_83027.jpg

In the Wiki article about the CV "USS Langley", these aircraft are named:

Vought VE-7 (two-seat trainer and later also fighter)

Aeromarine 39 (two-seat training seaplane)

:salute: The film is available from Wbshop.com for 19 or 20 USD ships only to the U.S. According to the comments section, the Air shots are second to Hells Angels. However, the flight operations shown aboard the USS Langley may be the only one recorded in that era. The film shows Sea planes laying smoke screens for the fleet and acting as Torpedo a/c ? Hollywood or real tactics ? ( between Wars ). The Trailer doesn't show any A/c so didnt post it.