Sign in to follow this  
rjw

A Great WW1 War Diary to Read

I just finished reading The Secret Great War Diary of Jack Martin Published by Bloomsbury in England. Richard Van Emden wrote the Introduction and did the Editing.

The book covers his service from 17th September 1916 to 3rd February 1919. It is an amazing read and unencumbered in any way by the editor. You feel that you just found his diaries and are reading them first hand.

This is a must read for any historian of the Great War for insight into the enlisted mans experience! I live in Ontario Canada and found this book at Chapters book store on sale for $7.99 (It is 272 pages in length with 4 photo plates in the middle)

Extract from the front sleeve:

Albert John (Jack) Martin was a 31 year old Admiralty clerk when he was called up into the army in early 1916. Throughout his service with the Royal Engineers (the Sappers), he wrote in secret because men at the front wee forbidden to keep diaries. When he returned home he told no one about them. Bundled up in the attic, they remained undiscovered until his grandson came across them in 1999.

Written in a clear, elogant, often humorous style, Jack Martinès diary reveals a distinctive and compelling mind, presenting the reality of war with heartbreaking clarity. From his arrival in France during the Battle of the Somme, through the onslaughts at Messines and Ypres and the German offensive of 1918, to the Armistice, we see the Great War as it was lived and fought by the ordinary Tommy.

Martin describes the reality of life at the front - the ever-present fear of death, the lonliness, and the appalling conditions in which the men lived and died - but also the support of friends and joy at the arrival of parcels from loved ones at home. Through it all, Martin maintains an extraordinary hamanity and tranquility of spirit, underpinned by a wry humour.

Best Regards;

I see quite a few have read this post! Has anyone else read the book?

The title seems rather to be "Sapper Martin" ? I found it on EBAY:

http://www.ebay.de/sch/Bucher-/267/i.html?LH_AvailTo=77&_nkw=The+Secret+Great+War+Diary&_arm=1&_armm=63&_ruu=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.de%2Fsch%2FBucher-%2F267%2Fi.html%3F_nkw%3DThe%2BSecret%2BGreat%2BWar%2BDiary%26_arr%3D1&_rdc=1

Personally, I have yet to read most of the well known books by WW1 flyers - like "Flying Fury";

so - no, I haven't read it yet.

Funny: the name Richard van Emden. "Van" is the Dutch word for from; so in English it would be "from Emden".

And Emden is a German harbour town, only 30 km of my birthplace. The world is a small precious pearl.

The title seems rather to be "Sapper Martin" ? I found it on EBAY:

http://www.ebay.de/s..._arr%3D1&_rdc=1

Personally, I have yet to read most of the well known books by WW1 flyers - like "Flying Fury";

so - no, I haven't read it yet.

Funny: the name Richard van Emden. "Van" is the Dutch word for from; so in English it would be "from Emden".

And Emden is a German harbour town, only 30 km of my birthplace. The world is a small precious pearl.

Olthan you are correct on both accounts The title is "Sapper Martin" and I agree with you regarding origin of name Richard van Emden.

I do feel that this book is a great read since it truly reflect the emotional mind set of the author.

Have a great day

After having read a quick glimpse (you can read a bit at AMAZON - seems he was a Royal Engineer?)

I have put the book on my list of WW1 books to read.