gerwin

SF2NA Iceland Classic TFD/HFD terrain

My pleasure. :)

I added some rock patches in the snow today. new file is up.

post-32175-0-60003900-1333673625.jpg

Spend some hours tweaking the tiling and textures. new file is up.

:salute::drinks::clapping:

Thanks Gerwin! Your work, together with Skatezilla's AWACS filtered speech, is a must have for SF2:NA! :salute:

EDIT: May I suggest including orignal waternormal from NA? It's much better than the old one!

img00005u.jpg

Edited by SFP1Ace

May I suggest including orignal waternormal from NA? It's much better than the old one!

I never really used the one from NA, I will try it when I am back home.

Is it this file: ICELAND_WATERNORMAL1.BMP? replacing WATERNORMAL.BMP in the data.ini file.

I never really used the one from NA, I will try it when I am back home.

Is it this file: ICELAND_WATERNORMAL1.BMP? replacing WATERNORMAL.BMP in the data.ini file.

Yup, though I just renamed it to waternormal.bmp & copied over. :good:

I updated the package slightly, hardly worth mentioning.

Except that in a previous upload (no.9) NOISENORMAL.BMP was missing, so people using that one won't see detail textures close up. -> In that case be sure to update.

I Kept the usual water-normalmap because in the other normalmaps the scale of the waves is to big.

I added some grass objects (TOD). I changed the Tree rendering entries in the ini-file. they render a little softer.

Some small tilemap adjustments.

Use your MOD folder, not the GAME INSTALLATION folder bro! It should be in C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\My Documents \ThirdWire\StrikeFighters2 NorthAtlantic\Terrains\ :good:

After installation of SF2: NA, it is strange that there is only Screenshot folder without any file in C:\Documents and Settings\abc\My Documents\ThirdWire\StrikeFighters2 NorthAtlantic. I cannot find the file Option.ini to edit the location of my MOD folder to drop in the new NA map. I have played perfectly all other MODs in SF2:V, E.

However, I still can play NA campaign if I play with SF2: V, E mods. The only problem is the ugly NA map.

My PC is Windows XP SP3. Is that an issue with Win XP or should I reinstall SF2: NA?

Thank you.

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

@vietace1

-SF2NA is officially not compatible with windows XP, as written in red letters in the store page.

-SF2NA can only be run on windows XP with a merged game, by starting another game from SF2 the series.

-the SF2NA stock terrain will not render properly on Windows XP / DX9. Use the terrain mod to work around that.

@vietace1

-SF2NA is officially not compatible with windows XP, as written in red letters in the store page.

-SF2NA can only be run on windows XP with a merged game, by starting another game from SF2 the series.

-the SF2NA stock terrain will not render properly on Windows XP / DX9. Use the terrain mod to work around that.

Thanks Gerwin. I can play SF2NA in Windows XP with a merged game. My problem is that there isn't the file option.ini in my folder C:\Documents and Settings\abc\My Documents\ThirdWire\StrikeFighters2 NorthAtlantic (this folder is created by SF2 NA installation, not by me) so that I can't edit the location of mod folder to add your excellent terrain mod.

I have no problem when adding different terrain mods in SF2:V, E. There is always the file option.ini in folder C:\........ ThirdWire\StrikeFighters2 Vietnam and C:\........ ThirdWire\StrikeFighters2 Europe that I can edit the location of my mod folder. But my folder C:\........ ThirdWire\StrikeFighters2 NorthAtlantic now has only Screenshot folder, no option.ini, no other usual folders such as Mission, Objects, Controls, and PilotData. It is very strange.

I will try install SF2 NA again because it may be something go wrong with the 1st installation.

Thanks Gerwin. I can play SF2NA in Windows XP with a merged game. My problem is that there isn't the file option.ini in my folder

Oh, it figures actually. Because the SF2NA executable does not run on XP and therefor never prepares the SF2NA mod folder. The SF2NA mod folder is useless anyway on XP, because you cannot run the SF2NA executable.

Instead copy "StrikeFighters2.exe" and name it "StrikeFighters2 NA XP.exe"

run it. it will make "StrikeFighters2 NA XP.ini" and a "StrikeFighters2 NA XP" mod folder.

edit "StrikeFighters2 NA XP.ini" and change this:

[Module]

ModuleDataFile=ModuleNorthAtlantic.cat (or something like that, I cannot check the actual cat name here)

So the menu will be North Atlantic style.

being one of the most vocal about need of new terrain engine in the past, I must say this map starts to look better than the NA one Gerwin :salute:

Is it too early to nominate this for 'Mod of the Year'? Or do we need to wait until it's officially uploaded?

Gerwin, without your work on this I would have been left behind by NA and would have been relagated to watching enviously the rest of you guys flying over Iceland!

Thanks & :drinks:

here's one for fun, can be used on either gerwin's or the stock INA terrain...

[TargetArea058]

Name=Mt.Snaefllsjokull

Position=279698,552538

ActiveDate=0

Location=1

Alignment=FRIENDLY

add to your IcelandNA_Targets.ini. Unfortunately, on the 3W map, you can't add any 'terrain objects' (buildings). which kinda sucks.

But, at least, you can let Prof. Lindenbrook have someplace to hang out!

add to your IcelandNA_Targets.ini. Unfortunately, on the 3W map, you can't add any 'terrain objects' (buildings). which kinda sucks.

You mean like this?

post-30257-0-84147100-1334854085.jpg

Oh, it figures actually. Because the SF2NA executable does not run on XP and therefor never prepares the SF2NA mod folder. The SF2NA mod folder is useless anyway on XP, because you cannot run the SF2NA executable.

Instead copy "StrikeFighters2.exe" and name it "StrikeFighters2 NA XP.exe"

run it. it will make "StrikeFighters2 NA XP.ini" and a "StrikeFighters2 NA XP" mod folder.

edit "StrikeFighters2 NA XP.ini" and change this:

[Module]

ModuleDataFile=ModuleNorthAtlantic.cat (or something like that, I cannot check the actual cat name here)

So the menu will be North Atlantic style.

Many thanks Gerwin. Finally I can fly SF2 NA XP with North Atlantic menu now with your mod terrain.

PB: I was trying to add the Saknussem-Lindenbrook Geological Institute at the foot of Mt. Sniffles. On Gerwins terrain, it worked; the imported Building1 showed. On TKs, it didn't -- even with the lods and bmps placed in the /IcelandNA terrain folder.

Nice to see the am_twr works!

I have, however, added Reykeivek (sp?) city to both, but the docks don't show. Same docks Im using in the Gulf, that work fine!

becuase Gerwin's is using tiles, my Reykeivek is a bit too far inland. On TKs, it's "close enough".

Here's a quick hi-res tileset I put together by combining Gerwin's tiles with desaturated versions of Stary's IsraelME tileset. Your mileage may vary, but to me the added detail makes it look a bit nicer compared to 256 tiles.

Link

Nice additional work on the tiles Jules :good:

Some issues -the TODs that are borrowed from my SF2Israel and are included in Julhelm's package -DO NOT use them, they WILL create a mess, and helluva small hamlets all across the map

I't be nice to have some custom .tods but I haven't had time to retexture them.

yeah, would be :grin:

*daydreams about gerwin's mod combined with stock NA water*

You men Rock! Thanks to you my game is playable now and in fact (minus the water), looks better!

In fact I don't mind water. This is not a submarine sim. Your water does the work nicely too.

Hi just for the fun i tried to make this work in xp the error msg i receive is this "entry pointSH get known folder path could not be located in dynamic link library shell 32.dll." Is this due to a dx10 error or windows??

Thank You for any help!!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy, and We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..