gerwin

SF2NA Iceland Classic TFD/HFD terrain

Looking forward to that

Carlo, could you be so kind to retexture the extra buildings to fit the terrain too? Yeah, piling the work (runs away)

Beware that some of these textures are actually not shown in the TW extractor. You can still mod them though, if you know their name. Like the toned down rooftops in my Iceland map download.

Edit; you wrote extra buildings, not the existing buildings. nevermind then.

(Let me say in advance that I hope this does not trigger endless posts here about how people dislike the infamous locking ;) )

Edited by gerwin

ohhh as you brought the locking stuff up... naaa just messing with you :tongue:

I think that Carlo is going to introduce extra objects from various 3rd party airfields/hangars etc packs, I was refering to those alone

Jip right Stary.

Startet with Keflavik. But it is very time consuming....

Will add a lot of 3rd partie objects, cause the stock ones are not so detailed...

if you want to repaint the stock NA objects... I might have them somewhere hidden from TK on my backup drives

Soon the greenness of iceland will be reduced. I introduced a set of stone colored tiles in between the snow and the green hills.

Pending are stone tiles that border with the ocean, then there are some trouble spots that need manual placement.

Edit: New Screenshot, showing upload no. 14 level. (Marcfighters Su-27 with adjusted skin)

post-32175-0-45872600-1364062608_thumb.jpg

Edited by gerwin

:lmao:

"manual placement of tiles" is my middle name!!!

looking forward to the improvements!!!

if you want to repaint the stock NA objects... I might have them somewhere hidden from TK on my backup drives

I have planned to use other ones (from various downloads).

Have retextured your hangars etc. Now i started to add them into terrain.

Very time consuming.

EDIT:

But maybe a list of stock SF2 NA objects would be very helpful!

Edited by Soulfreak

The new version of the SFD Iceland is uploaded (location in 1st post).

As I already announced, it now includes brown/stone colored areas, without vegetation.

The other tiles were also worked on a bit. For one I changed the light direction of many tiles.

I am sorry, but the higher resolution tileset by stary is incompatible for the time being, as the map now refers to additional tiles.

As before the included standard-resolution tileset is a reworked version of thirdwire's + stary's + my work.

will check, many thanks Gerwin!

You're welcome,

I Uploaded a later version just a minute ago: says 'Upload No. 14' in the readme.

ok

Yesterday I cleaned up the package in several areas, but it did not change anything noticable to the terrain.

I added these small grayscale '_hm' heightmap images, and set the mysterious tag values in the tilemap as they are in the stock desert.

But Neither seems to have any visible affect. If somebody knows more about these I would appreciate some info.

The readme is updated, the SF1 datafile is updated, and I added a texturelist for the TW terrain editor.

(Stary, would you be willing to share the object list for the tods with me, for completeness? )

Is there still interest in me hosting the older IcelandNA version that is compatible with the high-res tiles, but with a smaller range of tiles and such?

The stone tiles are like the green tiles but adjusted as follows:

- for transition tiles: select half the tile, or quarter, or three-quarters.

- for transition tiles: feather selection 50 pixels, then optionally manually adjust this selection.

- for snow tiles: mask the snow areas.

- adjust color of selected area from green to brown: hue -14 / saturation +7 / lightness +9. IIRC.

As already mentioned the shadow directions of all transition tiles was changed too, shadow pointing to the side that is likely to be the lowest side of a slope. Rock shadows are nice when they point in the right direction, but less so when they point the wrong way.

The heightmaps need to be 256 color indexed palette. Open one of the _HM maps that work and grab the palette from that.

Yes, that was not problem though.

It is HeightMapScale=2.000000 in the data ini, which is so few that one cannot see any difference.

HeightMapScale=25.000000 is much nicer.

However it also causes a difference in sea height near the horizon, visible as white lines.

This is fixed when I adjust the HM bitmaps like this: make sea level 50% grey and make the base ground color 50% grey.

Then raise the HeightMapScale's to double the value: 50.000000.

I can imagine that [HeightField] and [HeightOffset] have entries for something like this, but for now this works well.

Please try the files in the attachment.

Edit1: It messes up isafjordur airbase, uploaded a new one that works better.

Edit2: It messes up the depth of ships, corrected now by using 25% grey as the neutral value (instead of 50%)

IcelandNA_hm.zip

Edited by gerwin

Gerwin, you can set the _hm per-tile displacement to really high ranges, some of my Israel hires tileset ones have HeightMapScale= around 250.0 to 500 to make them stand out,

as for the gap (or line) in between the near and far terrains (near is the one that uses the per-tile mesh displacement, far terrain is the lower-resolution mesh)

set for example:

[HeightOffset]

LowDetailMesh=-50.0

//defaults -1.0

WaterMesh=0.8

//defaults 0.8

but then on far water some slightly visible difference is fogging of the Z (depth) is visible

you can just keep the new version with blended of yours and mine, it's more popular, as for new version of the set we'll see

I'll search for the full texturelist and TODs population control core ini files

keep it up, you rock!

one more thing: bit of work but for areas where no _HM mesh adjustments is needed (namely any target areas) additional tiles without it are required, remmeber we can multiply instances in data.ini of the same texture, some with HM some without (or different ones!) only TE requires psyhical additional differently named textures; data.ini can live with just the proper amount of texture numbers ( [Texture098] etc)

Edited by Stary

Thanks for the info!

Regarding the water height,

My earlier attempt messed up the ship depth.

But I fixed it now and replaced the file in my previous post: Using grey 25% as the neutral value for water, instead of 50%.

Meaning 25% grey in the hm bitmap means the height remains unchanged no matter what the heightmapscale.

Using it like that, all seems well, without changing anything to [HeightOffset].

• Like 1

Thanks for the info!

Regarding the water height,

My earlier attempt messed up the ship depth.

But I fixed it now and replaced the file in my previous post: Using grey 25% as the neutral value for water, instead of 50%.

Meaning 25% grey in the hm bitmap means the height remains unchanged no matter what the heightmapscale.

Using it like that, all seems well, without changing anything to [HeightOffset].

Your new release "HFD/TFD ICELAND Terrain for Strike Fighters 2 North Atlantic", is fully compatible with "Gerwin's Iceland 1024 tileset v1.0"?? :blink:

Works with it?? :dntknw:

no, as Gerwin introduced new types of brown textures, but it has mine work in blended with Gerwin's original textures, looks good that way

no, as Gerwin introduced new types of brown textures, but it has mine work in blended with Gerwin's original textures, looks good that way

Okay ..... thank you!!!!! :flyer:

Right,

I just uploaded a newer version with the mentioned and finished coastal heightmaps.

Also there are slightly improved snow textures.

Included included Julhelms Noisetexture blended with the original one, at twice the original resolution.

but you can insert waternormal.bmp from my HR repaint it's kinda nicer :wink:

Gerwin, I'm really happy :smile:

I've found my IcelandNA trees (TODs) core ini files, with my texturelist and all, I'm uploading full folder with TE included, just load the texturelist named "TextureListWOV2.ini" and see for yourself,

however it was done in August of last year and is obsolete, you'll have to add in TE your own extended textures and fiddle with it -shouldn't be hard for you to figure things out

IcelandTrees inis.zip

You want to create, a new "1024 tileset" release, for it?? :bowdown2:

not at the moment...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy, and We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..