gerwin

SF2NA Iceland Classic TFD/HFD terrain

Hello everyone,

First, pardon my ingenuity about the 'modding universe', around here, but I've been following this thread a while, and have a doubt:

How does Iceland Classic TFD/HFD terrain compare to the one I've currently installed -  Baltika's Iceland 02 Full-Scale Terrain v2.0 ?

Which one has the greatest realism and immersion feeling?

Thank you.

My Classic TFD/HFD IcelandNA

Is about as realistic as the Stock North Atlantic terrain, as it has the exact same targetareas: 2031 targets in 46 targetareas.

The Stock North Atlantic targets are very generic, as the towns are just stock towns. 

It has a limited amount of tiles: greenish areas, brown rock/mud and snow. No roads or rivers.

But great care was made to make the tiles blend in with eachother: no visible tile transitions or patterns.

Places like the fjord airfield are pretty cool and real, but reykjavik is still nothing like it should be.

I remember this terrain is shrunk compared to real size, like two thirds the size.

The SF2NA naval campaign can be played with this terrain.

post-32175-0-13153900-1408281149_thumb.png

Baltika's Iceland V2

Tried this briefly before,

I would say more research went into this, regarding target areas and terrain type. 7519 targets in 166 targetareas.

There are more different terrain tiles, but they are arguably contrasting a lot with eachother, as can be judged in the screenshots.

post-32175-0-06917800-1408281134_thumb.png

Note that in reality the snow cover changes a lot throughout the year.

I suggest you try both. The downloads are tiny in size anyways.

• Like 2

Ok Gerwin, thank you for the reply.

I will try it soon.

Almost 10 years later... I plan to upload an update to this terrain.

I worked on three of the Novalogic Terrains, adding target-areas, making and adapting the tiles to suit these. This was made easier by using Mue's new TOD editor. The three Novalogic terrains being Steppe, Scrub and Island Jungle. ( These are available for download on my website. )

Was thinking of doing the same for the Novalogic's Glacial terrain. But even though that terrain looks nice at times, I find the deposition of snow areas illogical there. That withheld me. Maybe it would be better to put effort in Novalogic's Savannah2?

Yesterday I decided to adapt the target-area work to IcelandNA, which has similarities with Glacial. Added some cities, then ported over the harbor, one for blue and one for red. See screenshot of Husavik harbor.

Such changes did require the addition of two target-areas, which may change the stock campaign game balance. I am thinking, maybe just branch of into IcalanNA2 or something, and keep the previous IcelandNA package as-is for the campaign. That would allow me to change these stock target-areas more extensively. I always found them a bit crappy anyways.

Also considering again, to add some river tiles...

IcelandNA-Husavik.jpg

Edited by gerwin
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, gerwin said:

Almost 10 years later... I plan to upload an update to this terrain.

I worked on three of the Novalogic Terrains, adding target-areas, making and adapting the tiles to suit these. This was made easier by using Mue's new TOD editor. The three Novalogic terrains being Steppe, Scrub and Island Jungle. ( These are available for download on my website. )

Was thinking of doing the same for the Novalogic's Glacial terrain. But even though that terrain looks nice at times, I find the deposition of snow areas illogical there. That withheld me. Maybe it would be better to put effort in Novalogic's Savannah2?

Yesterday I decided to adapt the target-area work to IcelandNA, which has similarities with Glacial. Added some cities, then ported over the harbor, one for blue and one for red. See screenshot of Husavik harbor.

Such changes did require the addition of two target-areas, which may change the stock campaign game balance. I am thinking, maybe just branch of into IcalanNA2 or something, and keep the previous IcelandNA package as-is for the campaign. That would allow me to change these stock target-areas more extensively. I always found them a bit crappy anyways.

Also considering again, to add some river tiles...

Looking forward to this! :good:

• Like 1

The promised update is available now. At least; the city tiles are now added.

I did not get to the river tiles, because the Falcon 4 terrain conversion took too much time already.

The default install still retains only the stock IcelandNA targets. So to have populated harbors and some other tweaks, refer to the standalone variant files, as found in the 'standalone' subfolder.

The Terrain Objects .tod file tuning was also brought over to the Novalogic terrain conversions, so these are also slightly updated now.

• Like 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy, and We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..