Lanzfeld

ROF Claims Theft...Is It True?

Jason at ROF just claimed that phase 4 stole their artwork for it's medals. Is this true or are they just similiar looking by chance?

From Jason: "And it appears they have stolen our artwork for their medals in their Phase 4.

Can't wait to sue them and their distributor over that move."

Now I'm rather a fan of ROF and play it quite a bit, but to say something like that is rather a strong accusation on their part! :mad:

Damn bad form! Pistols at dawn!

Incidentilly I found it interesting that one of my Wingmen from the OFF DiD campaign (Luke Roberts) should happen to show up on the roster of the RoF career preview screenshots - but I just put that one down to coincidence. :grin:

Edited by MikeDixonUK

Jason at ROF just claimed that phase 4 stole their artwork for it's medals. Is this true or are they just similiar looking by chance?

From Jason: "And it appears they have stolen our artwork for their medals in their Phase 4.

Can't wait to sue them and their distributor over that move."

That is not even worthy of a response, given that a) we showed ours many many many months ago, and b) their history of, how shall I put it, use of our work as an inspiration. Rather, it is far more likely the inverse of that charge.

the Shredder.

Sorry what? Do you have a link to the actual comments?

Here you are old chap, bottom of the page:

http://riseofflight....28378&start=230

Give the swine a damn good thrashing! Up and at 'em!

Well its never that easy - but of course a sad day when someone like Jason stoops this low...

WM

Unbelievable!

I've had ROF on my machine for a year or so, bought a fair bit of content too. I played it from time to time, it had its good points but never gave me the immersion of OFF. But I was glad to have two WW1 flight sims of quality and therefore supportive of both. But what was ROF is shortly to be just empty disk space. That comment of Jason's necessitates its removal from my machine.

• Like 1

That's just bad form.

I take it Jason's not the official ROF lawyer, who would presumeably read up on the concept of liable/defamation before baselessly accusing decent people of theft.

The guy is just an idiot with a big mouth. Move along people. Nothing to see here...

• Like 1

Unbelievable!

I've had ROF on my machine for a year or so, bought a fair bit of content too. I played it from time to time, it had its good points but never gave me the immersion of OFF. But I was glad to have two WW1 flight sims of quality and therefore supportive of both. But what was ROF is shortly to be just empty disk space. That comment of Jason's necessitates its removal from my machine.

You know, it's funny... I am actually spending the weekend reinstalling my system - something to do to pass the time and also to get it back in tip-top shape. I was literally, just about to put ROF back on (yes, I did OFF first! lol) but now... yeah, it's going back on the shelf.

And before anyone says we're over-reacting, I just looked at the thread myself. Jason can go jump off a cliff. ROF had so much potential, but you know what they say about potential, it only gets you so far.

Way to be classy 777 studios.

That's unfortunate and stupid. This is not what our hobby needs.

It's hard not to have massive and I think well deserved contempt for such a comment from Jason whoever.

I've never seen the OBD people ever slag off the ROF people or distributors, and they've always been highly respectful of the work and product, encouraging everyone here to support ROF by buying it. That's class.

By contrast, This Jason fellow clearly has something of a chip on his shoulder, and to post something so demeaning to himself - and by association, his company and ROF - is, in my opinion, utterly cheap and the sort of crass nonsense that persuades me that I won't be buying his product either now nor at any point in the future.

0/10 for class.

I guess he attacks OFF, because he fears OFF.

It is a compliment - although in a lousy form.

Tch! The youngsters today - no style; no conduct...

It's hard not to have massive and I think well deserved contempt for such a comment from Jason whoever.

I've never seen the OBD people ever slag off the ROF people or distributors, and they've always been highly respectful of the work and product, encouraging everyone here to support ROF by buying it. That's class.

By contrast, This Jason fellow clearly has something of a chip on his shoulder, and to post something so demeaning to himself - and by association, his company and ROF - is, in my opinion, utterly cheap and the sort of crass nonsense that persuades me that I won't be buying his product either now nor at any point in the future.

0/10 for class.

I guess he attacks OFF, because he fears OFF.

It is a compliment - although in a lousy form.

Tch! The youngsters today - no style; no conduct...

I completely agree! The OFF devs have always been a class act. And, why not? They've been around for ages! Half of the OBD crew worked on Red Baron 3D. They've been at this a lot longer than most.

And I agree Olham - ROF seems to be coming off the rails. They evolved by leaps and bounds over the last year and a half - so much so that I even bought a plane or two (ROF itself was given to me by an ex-girlfriend) but between the development of sea planes, a channel map, and seemingly caring more about selling colored scarfs than actually recreating historical content... they seem more directionless than I've ever seen them.

And, just to drive a final nail in their coffin, their spokesman and manager is taking cheap shots on a forum about suing a rival "company" - as if OBD was Mirocsoft itself.

Sorry... I'm angrier than I've been in ages. This is simply outrageous.

• Like 1

I'm not angry, but sad and disappointed. I like both sims. I don't want either one to fail. But this kind of talk is unacceptable, and hurts the small flight sim community. He should apologize.

I'm hardly surprised!...the whole way that 777 conduct their business, is unprofessional, contentious....and now, it appears...in a childish and pathetic manner!

Whatever next?

I also like both sims, and it may not be the fault of the other people, who worked on RoF.

But Jason was simply throwing with mud here, and that's bad behaviour.

He hasn't done himself a favour with that.

I have written an answer over at RoF - I hope they are fair enough and don't remove it.

http://riseofflight.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=28378&p=393891#p393891

They'll probably remove mine! :rofl:

Yeah the thread is still accessible from the link (cached page?) but the whole thing seems to have been taken down from the 'live' forum. One assumes it was done because wiser counsels have prevailed re that remark (which is disgraceful rather than just sad, as I was about to post over there, being an RoF flyer too) rather than to supress the strong undercurrent of disillusionment with RoF that was suffacing in it.

A cynic - even one who appreciates the considerable virtues of Rise of Flight, as I do - might observe, more in sorrow than in anger, that it's not OFF2 that would benefit from stealing or just emulating RoF's medals - medals, for cripe's sake!!! - but RoF that would benefit from stealing or emulating OFF's (never mind OFF2's) planeset, SP career, flexibility, and representation of the Western Front. An even greater cynic might observe that this 'revelation' has probably come just in time to deter OFF2 from stealing RoF's pack of coloured pilot scarves :)

Edited by 33LIMA

So...where are these apparent thefts located? :dntknw:

I've seen no source links, no comparison posts of the artwork in question. Let's see them and decide for ourselves as well. :good:

Yeah the thread is still accessible from the link (cached page?) but the whole thing seems to have been taken down from the 'live' forum. One assumes it was done because wiser counsels have prevailed re that remark (which is disgraceful rather than just sad, as I was about to post over there, being an RoF flyer too) rather than to supress the strong undercurrent of disillusionment with RoF that was suffacing in it.

A cynic - even one who appreciates the considerable virtues of Rise of Flight, as I do - might observe, more in sorrow than in anger, that it's not OFF2 that would benefit from stealing or just emulating RoF's medals - medals, for cripe's sake!!! - but RoF that would benefit from stealing or emulating OFF's (never mind OFF2's) planeset, SP career, flexibility, and representation of the Western Front. An even greater cynic might observe that this 'revelation' has probably come just in time to deter OFF2 from stealing RoF's pack of coloured pilot scarves :)

Well said !!

Did anybody think that if both sims are striving for historical accuracy, the medals should look the same? Perhaps even the same physical medals (from a museum or private collection) were used as a reference for both.

Edit: Nevermind, saw the picture comparison and the ROF retraction.

Edited by eraser_tr